Why become a member? ×

Tonight's second set cancelled - nobody in the pub

The Dark Lord

This resonates with me as we are a covers band playing in pubs. We have had the same experiences as described here - few people in the audience, payed off before the end due to lack of punters (both paid and offered half fee). Has thankfully only happened a very few times in over 100 gigs but still isn't good. We have therefore taken the decision to do less gigs in new venues either in or away from our usual patch and more in places/areas we know we are gonna attract regular audiences as well as more parties/weddings etc. This has worked well for us but means of course that we have to vary the set more regularly as well as trying to engage the audience more in order to try and stand out amongst the plethora of Sex on fire playing cover bands. Part of the issue in my opinion is that (for many of the reasons already mentioned here) many pubs are struggling and therefore try anything to attract punters including putting bands on. This of course does not always work for their clientele. This also has given rise to the huge numbers of pubs arranging a "charity fundraising music festival" where bands are offered the oportunity to play for free while a few quid is raised but the landlords make a packet. Er.....no thanks.

What I don't get is why live music has to finish by 10:30 and then a night of music/drinking begins. Maybe there are some clubs in some cities which have live acts on all night, but I don't think i've ever seen one in England. People go out to get pissed, dance, chat to their mates. In most clubs the music is as loud as the live bands anyway, if not, turn the band down. Put the band on at 10, people will watch! I guess too many sh*t bands ruined that concept by emptying the clubs? It's just that when you go out in other countries, there does tend to be a few live acts performing in bars and clubs all night long. E.G in Boston I went to a club, walked in and it seemed like a hip-hop/dance club, but above me there was another floor which was more relaxed with much quieter music, and below me was another floor with a live funk band.

Apparently, people are staying at home to get drunk before they head out to the club later on, so putting bands on later would make more sense right?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1346928863' post='1794869']
................. in other countries, there does tend to be a few live acts performing in bars and clubs all night long.
[/quote]

In a seafront bar at Scheveningen in Holland I watched a HM band who didn't come on until 11pm. The way they were dressed I assumed they were a tribute to a Dutch band I'd never heard of or they had a dated impression as to how a HM band should look; they out-scarved Steve Tyler on the mic stand for eg. But they were very good and so loud that it wouldn't have been allowed in the UK.
I followed the crowd and had steak & frites while I watched too; which would be unusual to be available as an option here at that time of night.

Bit of a rushed post as I'm at the office, but, given that the themes on this thread that are coming through for me are :

1. Good places to play are hard to find, and

2. Some people seem to have a circuit of good gigs, whilst others are struggling....

How about we take the 'community' aspect of BC seriously and share some intelligence on the good venues - and the others (as per the Chichester pub above)? I appreciate that in the way that Carp anglers jealously guard their 'secret pools', we may have some members who are reluctant to share details of their good gigs, but - in the weeks when your band isn't playing there, somebody else will be, and surely you would rather it's another BC'er than not? Or is it me?

This also means that where we have an active 'good gig guide' thread, the word will get around immediately if anyone starts trying to stiff the band etc or the punters start taking a turn for the rougher/less numerous. Equally - from gig to gig - the band playing this time can be bigging up the next band, because they know how great they are - from BC! ie ; "We'll be back in 4 weeks, but make sure you come in next Saturday, because (insert name of band) are on and I can tell you, they're a great night out" etc

It would also mean that a circuit of good gigs could be built where 'out of town' bands could be brought in, perhaps making up a nice little week long tour in a different part of the country for them - in venues they know will at the least be OK, and they'll get paid.

Just a thought

A

The post below is very good.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1346930540' post='1794897']
Bit of a rushed post as I'm at the office, but, given that the themes on this thread that are coming through for me are :

1. Good places to play are hard to find, and

2. Some people seem to have a circuit of good gigs, whilst others are struggling....

How about we take the 'community' aspect of BC seriously and share some intelligence on the good venues - and the others (as per the Chichester pub above)? I appreciate that in the way that Carp anglers jealously guard their 'secret pools', we may have some members who are reluctant to share details of their good gigs, but - in the weeks when your band isn't playing there, somebody else will be, and surely you would rather it's another BC'er than not? Or is it me?

This also means that where we have an active 'good gig guide' thread, the word will get around immediately if anyone starts trying to stiff the band etc or the punters start taking a turn for the rougher/less numerous. Equally - from gig to gig - the band playing this time can be bigging up the next band, because they know how great they are - from BC! ie ; "We'll be back in 4 weeks, but make sure you come in next Saturday, because (insert name of band) are on and I can tell you, they're a great night out" etc

It would also mean that a circuit of good gigs could be built where 'out of town' bands could be brought in, perhaps making up a nice little week long tour in a different part of the country for them - in venues they know will at the least be OK, and they'll get paid.

Just a thought

A

[/quote]

Oh and we prefer no break. Gives the audience an opportunity to try elsewhere and to be honest, once we've humped the gear in, set up and soundchecked - I would happily play as long as wanted. That's why we do it afterall so a pointless 15/20 minute break after the first set is a waste of time to us PLUS allows the drummer to cool down too much. He likes being "in the zone" as it were....

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1346942389' post='1795125']
OK, so maybe I don't know what i'm on about. All the local gigs i've played have started between 7 and 9 and finished between 10 and 11. The same goes for all of the "big name" bands i've been to see too
[/quote]

No, you're not wrong, there's just ways round it, some of which hack off the neighbours - some the licensing folk. I've been to a few headlining gigs lately where the band are clock watching. Colne Blues Festival is usually an 11pm finish if not before some nights.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1346942389' post='1795125']
OK, so maybe I don't know what i'm on about. All the local gigs i've played have started between 7 and 9 and finished between 10 and 11. The same goes for all of the "big name" bands i've been to see too
[/quote]
All the local gigs that I've done have been on the later of those times...Usually about a 9-9:30 start and finish between
11-12 depending on set times.

Finish by 12:00 if in a pub after a 9;30-10;00 start.... wont play any longer for pub money.

The scene round here is pretty healthy and a very good draw will get £300 plus, but LL's really want to be sure these days.
Some pubs want to pay less than £200 but they aren't the places you'll want to play.

Clubs and venues start around £350 but there has to be a very good reason for taking that rate...
Mostly parties start at £550 and then everyone goes for what they can get.

We crap out at pubs but pig -out at parties and venues and festivals, not quite sure why that is.

Early starts and finishes seems to be something that's happened in the last 15 or so years.

Certainly gigs that I played at and went to in the 80s were much later - especially places with a late licence. If you were playing a club, there was no point in starting before 11.00 because no-one would go until closing time at the pub - 10.30 to 11.00 depending on the day.

I can remember going to see Kraftwerk at Rock City which didn't finish until almost 2.00 in the morning.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1346929277' post='1794877']
In a seafront bar at Scheveningen in Holland I watched a HM band who didn't come on until 11pm. The way they were dressed I assumed they were a tribute to a Dutch band I'd never heard of or they had a dated impression as to how a HM band should look; they out-scarved Steve Tyler on the mic stand for eg. But they were very good and so loud that it wouldn't have been allowed in the UK.
I followed the crowd and had steak & frites while I watched too; which would be unusual to be available as an option here at that time of night.
[/quote]

I've got Dutch relatives, and I've always noticed a much more relaxed attitude to people having fun in public, even if it's noisy. Scheveningen being seaside would be even more so. I think our glorious puritan history and stupid licensing laws are mostly to blame. The Robin at Bilston used to do hot pork rolls after gigs, but that's about the nearest to civilised I've found here.

I went to the pre-election meeting for our prospective tory MP. It's a small town with a good sense of community, a number of good pubs and a low crime rate, but the hear the miserable sods at that meeting, you'd think it was Los Angeles. "We never had all this trouble when the pubs weren't open 24 hours" was my favourite. We live on the street where most of the pubs are and we've had one bottle through the window in 17 years, and a couple of fights.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1346970095' post='1795629']The Robin at Bilston used to do hot pork rolls after gigs, but that's about the nearest to civilised I've found here.[/quote]

Blimey you've got a good memory, I'd forgotten all about that; must have stopped when they opened the restaurant upstairs & that's got t*ts up too. I can't for the life of me remember what my first Robin gig was.

Went to a gig at The Dilk in Walsall once, they couldn't believe it when we ordered 16 large pizzas in; they didn't mind though.

OK, a good example - I've seen quite a few big bands in Nottingham Rock City and they're always done before 11. I think it's because they have a club night afterwards, which plays rock music until the early morning. They're still playing different kinds of loud music in several rooms, why not keep a live band in one of the rooms all night long? It's the same for our local venue