Why become a member? ×

Tonight's second set cancelled - nobody in the pub

The Dark Lord

20 yrs ago we had one pub in town that was the best place around to gig... bands on 3 nights and a lunchtime over the weekend and it was very well supported.
The circuit was pretty good as well but basically every town had its one decent gig.
Now in my same town I counted 9 pub type gigs within about 5 miles radius one sat night.. so the amount is spread thinner..

This means the band as the draw is more important so
that is where the focus must be and bands have to work harder.
I still think the area is pretty vibrant but it has changed. You can get top $
but you'll work hard for it and deliver...same as it ever was, really.

Seems to be a lot of places that have live music till 11, which I assume is a licensing issue, but continue with a disco afterwards. It's often loud and you can hear it outside, so I really don't see what the difference is.

I also don't understand why the people that complain about pub-related disturbance and "anti-social behaviour" focus on live music, but are quite happy about big screen soccer. There's never been trouble at any pub gig I've been to and afterwards people go home happy. When the soccer pubs turn out, there's always drunken chanting, loud unpleasant arguments and usually a couple of fights.