Why become a member? ×

Tribute acts degrading?

mcgraham

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1346514401' post='1790149']
If done well, not degrading at all. However, if not done well, I find them, well a little cringe-making.
[/quote]
Personally I think that even if done well, they can be cringeworthy just be being out of context, like the vid I posted.

[quote name='ChrisB' timestamp='1346514411' post='1790150']
oh cool, I can post this in this thread too:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw8sNoodIDk[/media]
[/quote]

Dear... gosh... that was all manner of.... I mean... really? really?!? *biro in eye*

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1346514247' post='1790146']
So, I don't think tribute acts are necessarily degrading, cringeworthy or embarrassing...

... but the fact remains, sometimes they are.

Exhibit A:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX0Iz8vTxNg[/media]
[/quote]

Well, he does do a very good job of sounding like Michael Jackson :wacko:

Here's my Neil Young and Crazy Horse Tribute band - Sedan Delivery - in the rehersal room with our new drummer (playing for the first time with the band)

Let me know what you think - hopefully not too degrading

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0HKqP_w2Tc&feature=channel&list=UL"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0HKqP_w2Tc&feature=channel&list=UL[/url]

[/quote]
God's teeth, but that was seriously BAD..! Could even half finish it, I'm afraid. Are there tablets one can take to cure oneself, or is it without hope..?

Edited by Dad3353

I've only seen two. One was High-on Maiden, who I've seen twice, and the other was a Beatles tribute. Both were really good. I used to be a massive Iron Maiden fan but I was too young to see them when I really wanted to, so I have never seen them. The tribute act was really good though, and meant I was able to hear the songs in a live setting.

The "banter" in between songs by the Beatles tribute (can't remember what they were called) wasn't so good, it consisted of the one line that the singer could say in a Liverpudlian accent, but the music was very good.

As part of a marketing event a few months ago we went to a awards ceremony. Part of the entertainment was a Michael Jackson tribute, but the guy, tho' he had a brilliant voice had not long had a major road accident (compund femur fracture etc), so all of his spins, jumps had an element of Robert Newton's best Long John Silver limp to it, & it could be the Jackson type noises were screams of pain. It would have helped if he hadn't constantly asked us to make allowances for his injuries & tell us how great he [b][i]used[/i][/b] to be.

I don't mind tribute acts, they are what they are; usually a gang of like-minded fans who know how to copy their idols. I can't think where you'd draw the line, isn't any covers band just a tribute act of each artist they do a cover of? One minute you're a tribute to Thin Lizzy, five minutes later you're atribute to Van Morrison?

[/quote]
After watching this, I feel that my '[i]pub band[/i]' are good enough to headline at Glastonbury next year!

Of the "tributes" posted so far:

Michael Jackson - cringeworthy
Final Countdown - dreadful :o
Neil Young - at least the playing was together and in tune, but may I ask WHY? Neil Young is a competent lyricist and has been known to write some good tunes, but he is a dreadful guitarist and his singing isn't much better. To re-interpret his songs and do them your own way would make much more sense. Bob Dylan is also a dreadful guitarist who can't sing but he's a good songwriter, so look at what Jimi Hendrix made of various Dylan songs - he did them his way and improved them beyond belief.

[/quote]

I'll see your *posting that link again* seen almost as many times as the "wrong drummer" link ..............
................ and I'll raise you.............
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj7pDNDuoJ0[/media]

[quote name='ironside1966' timestamp='1346519428' post='1790211']
I find ego and disillusionment and people who don,t respect other musicians talent. cringe worthy or embarrassing...
earning a living at something you a good at is definitely not cringe worthy or embarrassing...
[/quote]
Firstly, I'm not bringing talent into the question, the guy is clearly very talented and I made no comment on that at all.

Secondly, even beyond the context of this thread I think you're wrong. There are plenty of things that people do to earn a living that are cringe-worthy or embarrassing. Don't try and tell me it's NEVER cringe-worthy, cos that is just arguing for the sake of it.

I'm assuming he's just miming. In which case, what's the point of him bothering?

Edit: If he's not miming I'd give him a 10/10 for vocals and 7/10 for the dancing. I'd give a 5/10 for the whole Micheal Jackson experience because most tributes are a bit naff.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1346520417' post='1790230']
Firstly, I'm not bringing talent into the question, the guy is clearly very talented and I made no comment on that at all.

Secondly, even beyond the context of this thread I think you're wrong. There are plenty of things that people do to earn a living that are cringe-worthy or embarrassing. Don't try and tell me it's NEVER cringe-worthy, cos that is just arguing for the sake of it.
[/quote]

I think most people have done thing that we find cringe worthy or embarrassing.
But for other to judge and look down on other people because of what they do, when they are hurting nobody is wrong. I just don't get the my music is better than yours thing at all. I just like talent.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1346520640' post='1790234']
I'm assuming he's just miming. In which case, what's the point of him bothering?

Edit: If he's not miming I'd give him a 10/10 for vocals and 7/10 for the dancing. I'd give a 5/10 for the whole Micheal Jackson experience because most tributes are a bit naff.
[/quote]

+1 - i can't tell how much is him, but he's not miming the whole thing. Vocals definitely 9 or 10 out of 10, dancing, maybe 6 or 7 out of 10... but it doesn't change the fact he's doing what should be an O2 arena style, full band act with backing tracks on a shiny floor at the end of a wedding, just beside the kitchen.

[quote name='ironside1966' timestamp='1346521085' post='1790243']
I think most people have done thing that we find cringe worthy or embarrassing.
But for other to judge and look down on other people because of what they do, when they are hurting nobody is wrong. I just don't get the my music is better than yours thing at all. I just like talent.
[/quote]
I think he's talented. I think that this particular use of his talent is degrading.

I never said I didn't like the music. I don't get where this argument is coming from.