Why become a member? ×

Audition Last Night

charic

Only a complete change of tact from the death metal band I'm in I auditioned for a cover band last night and absolutely loved it, I don't listen to this type of stuff in my spare time but really enjoy playing it.

First impressions, very welcoming atmosphere cool guys and girls.. good so far.

I turned up a bit early (always do, I can't stand being late) and the drummer was behind schedule, fine by me it gave me a chance to "settle/warm up".

It turned out they were auditioning a new singer on the same night (who had been asked to learn 4 completely different songs) but seeing as I was there anyway I ended up joining in with these songs (2 of which I hadn't ever heard before :lol: ) and everyone seemed fairly happy, which can only be a good thing (hopefully!).

Onto my 4 tracks, the arrangements were a little different to how I had learnt them but mostly recovered quickly and didn't notice any sideways glances :lol:

They've got one more audition to go and then I find out, I've never had to wait to hear back and it's bloody killing me :lol:

I auditioned for a band once. The outgoing bassist was in attendance for some reason. They wanted me to learn 'Are you gonna go my way' by Lenny Kravitz.
I worked it out in a few minutes, including the little chromatic runs during the solo, when I overheard the bassist telling the drummer 'He,s showing off!' :blink: Turns out he didnt/couldnt play that bit <_<

Well done. I normally make sure I'm pretty low in the mix.. till I feel a bit more confident and also try to avoid slapping no matter how much I think the song needs it. At least on my first outing lol.
I had an audition earlier this week for a covers band and only knew about 3 of the songs they wanted to try.. Oh it's just blues in E or A they would shout out! The Band is only a sideline project mainly for fun so no harm done and they asked me if I'd come back next week.. so it must of gone ok.

edit: Forgot to say goodluck and hope you get the call-back

Edited by Highfox

Never bury the bass in the mix...especially at an audition.. you have to be THERE driving the thing. Nobody will mind the odd mistake as that can be worked on...but if the bass isn't there then that is a bigger miss.... if that transferred over to a gig..

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1346318483' post='1787745']
Only a complete change of tact from the death metal band I'm in I auditioned for a cover band last night and absolutely loved it, I don't listen to this type of stuff in my spare time but really enjoy playing it.
[/quote]

I've always found that my tolerance for music that I wouldn't normally listen to is much higher when I'm actually playing it.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1346335796' post='1788001']
I've always found that my tolerance for music that I wouldn't normally listen to is much higher when I'm actually playing it.
[/quote]

Yeah same, recently I wanted an audition for a band (indie) they asked me who my influences are and what I listen too. They refused to audition me based on that! :angry:

I actually got chatting to the drummer about metal last night though which was pretty cool. Although I've already told them I refuse to cover anything by the darkness :lol:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1346335796' post='1788001']
[/quote]

I'm finding that too. I also used to find that when I was dancing (years ago). Did some very dreamy numbers to some Jean Michel Jarre tracks for example.

Best of luck Charic, and thanks for the great read.

As to playing music one normally doesn't listen to - and enjoying it: yup, same here, as in: I don't play the music yet, but I'm looking forward to playing several styles just for the fun of the drive, the groove and the bass parts.

best,
bert

Just heard back, I didn't get the gig unfortunately.

I was told I played really well and they would have accepted me but I was beaten to it by someone with more age and experience in this particular genre of music.

Back to looking for more bands :D

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1346930886' post='1794905']
Just heard back, I didn't get the gig unfortunately.

I was told I played really well and they would have accepted me but I was beaten to it by someone with more age and experience in this particular genre of music.

Back to looking for more bands :D
[/quote]

Least they got back to you :) Good luck in future!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1346932462' post='1794935']
Thanks, considering pushing the originals a little bit harder to get gigging properly. :)
[/quote]

Shame you didn't get it...but they seem ok, so I'd maintain some sort of connection if possible.
If only to be supportive and wish them well... they may remember that and think of you should there be a next time.

Good connections in music are hard to find in the first place so once you do..keep them if you can.

You might want to throw them a sweetener by recomending them for a gig etc etc ..