Why become a member? ×

Sampling

Pete Academy

When I posted recently about Kid Charlemagne I was surprised to see that Jay-Zee had used a sample from the song. This prompted me to check out how many other artists have sampled Steely Dan. There are loads, virtually all hip-hop artists that have done so.

So what are your thoughts on this. Is it plagiarism, or is it artists being ceative?

Edited by Pete Academy

Well, being an''80s metal head in the day, I was a bit against it.But listening to industrial stuff like Ministry ,Swamp terrorists etc
I realised that if it sounds good then it's a good thing.Remember Paul Hardcastle? That 'song' wasn't too bad to be honest.imho .
Even Rush did samples(new world man)
Each to their own I guess

[quote name='BigAlonBass' timestamp='1345577161' post='1779105']
Sorry, but the phrase "un-original, thieving talentless b*stards" has always tripped lightly off my tongue. :)
[/quote]

:lol:

But is it a product of our times or of our technology? I suspect if sampling had been so easy in the 60s then loads of artists would have been at it back then.

In the late '80s there were some great records made by patching together bits of old records. It's not practical to do that any more because it would be prohibitively expensive, so now a lot of rap acts just use one obvious sample to save on royalties, but when it was feasible to use loads of them there was some very creative stuff going on. Shame the industry killed it off IMO.

It depends, I'm not a fan of basing an entire song around a sample, like black eyed peas did with misirlou, to me that's a cover, no matter how originally you interpret it, it's a cover.

But sampling can be used very artistically, DJ Shadow's Endtroducing was made using entirely sampled sounds (and in fact was the first album to do so) He arranged and manipulated dozens of samples to create a unique song. Personally I don't see much difference between that and "regular" musicians choosing which notes to play in which order. Any guitarist can play F, A#, G#, and C# power chords, but only Kurt Cobain could make them into Smells Like Teen Spirit. Same with sampling, tell me this is just uncreative plagiarism:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32X-ieCav-M[/media]

Edited by bobbass4k

Sampling has been around since the advent of recording.

How about the Mellotron?

The steam organ collage on The Beatles' "Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!"

The massed voices "played" from the mixing desk on 10CC's "I'm Not In Love"

"The Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel" by Grandmaster Flash

And those are just a few done using simply pre-recorded tape and vinyl, mostly before the first digital samplers even existed.

IIRC Pink Floyd had planned to record an album without any conventional instruments using recorded and pitch manipulated sounds on tape - it was abandoned as being to difficult and time-consuming to produce in the late 70s.

Using a single well-known "sample" as the backbone for another composition is mostly unadventurous and lazy, but there are plenty of innovative re-uses of existing recordings being made all the time.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1345580977' post='1779169']
IIRC Pink Floyd had planned to record an album without any conventional instruments using recorded and pitch manipulated sounds on tape - it was abandoned as being to difficult and time-consuming to produce in the late 70s.
[/quote]

That would be the abandoned "Household Objects" project.

Creative.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5Dn-WaElI[/youtube]

Not very creative.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxuodY-c0yU[/youtube]

Mind you, I could have done the same with many tracks 'written' by Led Zep which don't feature sampling.

I don't have any issues with sampling so long as it is creative.

As per previous posts there wouldn't be hip hop without sampling. Unfortunately many hip hop artists and producers these days rip off or regurgitate whole chunks of songs, whilst if you look at Beasties, De La Soul, Gangstarr or Tribe Called Quest it was usually a small riff cleverly introduced to create a whole new song.

The flip side of sampling also, is that it re-raises the profile of the original artist. I used to buy a lot of early 90's hip hop, find out where the sample was from and get into the original artist. The careers of the likes of legendary artists like James Brown and George Clinton were in the doldrums before hip-hop brought them back into the spotlight and effectively resurrected their careers.

It was Kanye West that sampled 'Kid Charlemagne', not Jay Z.

It's a staple part of hip-hop culture and I think the creativity of sampling is very high. Some rappers like Q-Tip from A Tribe Called Quest are able to formulate and bounce ideas off of the rhythmic interest of a sampled bass line or drum break and it can often make for some really interesting records.

If De la Soul hadn't sampled Steely Dan back in the day I would never have known who steely dan were.
Would I have been happier that way? who knows...

Sampling is no worse than playing the same 3 chords over and over, and using obvious ****ing blues riffs all the time. In fact it is a lot better
See Girl Talk for how great it can be.

[quote name='BigAlonBass' timestamp='1345577161' post='1779105']
Sorry, but the phrase "un-original, thieving talentless b*stards" has always tripped lightly off my tongue. :)
[/quote]

Ooh dear!

We are all musical thieves, don't try to convince yourself otherwise.

Hip Hop is far more 'original' than most pop and rock music, and the good stuff is very good indeed.

What is talent?

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1345666467' post='1780318']

What is talent?
[/quote]

In music? Getting a sound and putting it together with other sounds, where the result is more than the sum of its parts. It doesn't matter whether it's a double bass note, a sample, or the crash of a dustbin lid.