Why become a member? ×

Who's on bass

Bassistclem

[quote name='buff' timestamp='1344814425' post='1769702']
Squier humbuckered jaguar with extra pick up ?
[/quote]

Looked like some kind of non-reverse thunderbird to me, didn't really get a good glimpse though.

They never give the bassist enough camera time, they didn't allow the bass solo!

[quote name='buff' timestamp='1344816055' post='1769729']
double checked it, still looks like a jag, but made by this guy [url="http://www.dubreuille-guitar.com/bass.html"]http://www.dubreuill...r.com/bass.html[/url]
[/quote]

Wow, the [b][i]jazz [/i][/b]on that site looks sleek!

Edited by Jones_Stuff

[quote name='buff' timestamp='1344816055' post='1769729']
double checked it, still looks like a jag, but made by this guy [url="http://www.dubreuille-guitar.com/bass.html"]http://www.dubreuill...r.com/bass.html[/url]
[/quote]

And now I want a 5-string [url=http://www.dubreuille-guitar.com/doobie.html]Doobie Bass[/url].

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W78ghmY2Jgg

Who gives a toss who was on bass. If it's not Entwistle, I don't want or care to see The Who. I see that they're off touring Quadrophenia, how is that going to work without the bass playing? Errr... it's not. It's quite simple. As capable as Pino or whomever is, unless you get someone who has a similar stylistic bent to Entwistle and there aren't that many people who do play anything like that, the Who will continue to be crap and I won't be interested.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1344864302' post='1770248']
Who gives a toss who was on bass. If it's not Entwistle, I don't want or care to see The Who. I see that they're off touring Quadrophenia, how is that going to work without the bass playing? Errr... it's not. It's quite simple. As capable as Pino or whomever is, unless you get someone who has a similar stylistic bent to Entwistle and there aren't that many people who do play anything like that, the Who will continue to be crap and I won't be interested.
[/quote]
I'm guessing you don't like classical music then. Without Wolfie on keyboards, those Mozart piano concertos are crap. :lol:

Rock/pop/whatever-it-is is a young genre, and it's only recently cottoned on to the idea that the "work" itself may have some lasting value.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1344866491' post='1770300']
I'm guessing you don't like classical music then. Without Wolfie on keyboards, those Mozart piano concertos are crap. :lol:

Rock/pop/whatever-it-is is a young genre, and it's only recently cottoned on to the idea that the "work" itself may have some lasting value.
[/quote]

I'm finding myself agreeing with you and Wolverinebass both at the same time.
And now my head hurts. :unsure:
I'd better get back to Off Topic! :blush:

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1344864302' post='1770248']
[/quote]

That..

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1344866491' post='1770300']

[/quote]

I can see what you're getting at, and this isn't quite the same, but ... In the early 1970s I bought a recording of Beethoven's 5th Symphony conducted by Pierre Boulez. Didn't know anything about it, it was probably going cheap and I'd seen Boulez conduct at the Proms. When I played it, it was quite brooding and dark, but I liked it, more than other versions I heard later. Recently I rediscovered it, did a search for a CD version, and discovered that version had been slated by the critics as too slow and Boulez had been so upset by the reaction, he refused to allow a CD transfer.

So even in classical, there's a bar you have to get over to be acceptable.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1344875242' post='1770499']
I can see what you're getting at, and this isn't quite the same, but ... In the early 1970s I bought a recording of Beethoven's 5th Symphony conducted by Pierre Boulez. Didn't know anything about it, it was probably going cheap and I'd seen Boulez conduct at the Proms. When I played it, it was quite brooding and dark, but I liked it, more than other versions I heard later. Recently I rediscovered it, did a search for a CD version, and discovered that version had been slated by the critics as too slow and Boulez had been so upset by the reaction, he refused to allow a CD transfer.

So even in classical, there's a bar you have to get over to be acceptable.
[/quote]
Absolutely, but there are many different acceptable interpretations, and the consensus of taste changes with time. We're fortunate to be able to choose between our Wagner fast or slow, our Mozart on period or modern instruments, and our Handel with massed chorus or one-to-a-part.

We are perhaps fortunate that we don't have "original" recorded versions of these which would then be liable to be seen as definitive.

It's ironic that what some see as dusty old classical music is actually more alive than "definitive" modern rock/pop works which are preserved in aspic!