Why become a member? ×

Moderator changes

Kiwi

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1344700937' post='1768158']
Agreed but I think there are many members who have contributed much more than some of the new mods and I for one feel a little overlooked.
[/quote]

Postcount is only one factor but not really indicative of any suitability really is it ? Previous behaviour and general attitude is also taken into account as well. On this occasion I was not involved with any suggestions as who to recruit, any suggestions of a democratic process I find a little pointless as it's 'us' that run the site, we need to ensure we decide who is appointed a moderator and be sure they are suitable and unlikely to let the elevated permissions go to their head (and ensuring we get on with them is of course helpful). Some people have in the past been overlooked for this alone.

On a more positive note, I can't wait to get GuitarChat up and running :).

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1344701731' post='1768168']
Postcount is only one factor but not really indicative of any suitability really is it ? Previous behaviour and general attitude is also taken into account as well
[/quote]

You mean like going 100's of miles out of your way to deliver basses and amps to other members, helping recover good when someone has been scammed, giving advice, helping organise event and donating? That kind of thing?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1344702518' post='1768178']

You mean like going 100's of miles out of your way to deliver basses and amps to other members, helping recover good when someone has been scammed, giving advice, helping organise event and donating? That kind of thing?
[/quote]

That's the kind of thing that makes the site unique and awesome, yes.

It's clearly impossible to please everyone when choosing moderators and Kiwi has his reasons for the people he chose, but he can't please everyone.

It really isn't that much fun being a mod anyway.

Perhaps those who feel they have been overlooked might like to put themselves forward for next time or extra jobs? I really don't think kiwi expected anyone to feel overlooked. That said its a reflection of how great the community is that it turns out do many would like to volunteer.

Something for us to consider next time, anyway.

Can we talk about something else now? I think I've explained all I can in Kiwi's absence.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1344675117' post='1767781']
.. when people 'buy the T shirt', attend events, do's and members gigs, that the forum becomes a little more involving to its participants.
[/quote]

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1344677207' post='1767813']
Buying any merchandise, be it from a band or website does not give you a controlling interest in how that band or website runs.
[/quote]

If you look at my post I put the T Shirt bit in comma's, taking from the phrase of the same. All I mean is the folk who go the extra mile in participating. My bad metaphor, sorry.

Even though I have bought a T shirt...

[size=1]...and Ped said he'd send me one a size smaller, and he never did... grumble grumble grumble[/size]

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1344703648' post='1768188']
It really isn't that much fun being a mod anyway.
[/quote]

This - have been doing it since 2006 (since Bassworld) and the 'fun' isn't that frequent, but in general I know things I do both publicly and behind the scenes keep the site running as well as possible and I may have helped people use the forum/resolve disputes with others etc, that is pretty much the only reward, which for me is good enough.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1344703960' post='1768196']
It really isn't that much fun being a mod anyway.[/quote]

Amen to that. The best way you can 'give a bit back' to Basschat is just to be helpful and pleasant.

Like I am.

...sometimes.

Edited by wateroftyne

Wayne, you are the people's hero and you don't need a badge to prove it.
I wouldn't miss any of the mods if they died tomorrow, but there are plenty of regular members that I would miss and you are one of them.
Many's the time you have brightened my day with your humour and I'm aware of your good deeds too.

I still miss OldGit, especially at this time of year.

Keep smiling Wayne and don't let the bastudz get you down.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1344703781' post='1768192']
[size=1]...and Ped said he'd send me one a size smaller, and he never did... grumble grumble grumble[/size]
[/quote]

Whoops, please PM me your order (address, colour, design, size) and it'll be sent.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1344706461' post='1768233']
Fascinating (and unexpectedly revealing) discussion guys. Any news on timescale for the guitar site?
[/quote]

Nothing yet I'm afraid, our web developer has been slowed down by a family illness so it's going to take a while. We own the URL and that's about it so far.

The plan is to sort the software here, get it perfect, then essentially copy+paste it over. We have a few bits to finish here first which I hope we'll have done by mid September.

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' timestamp='1344672017' post='1767731']
I rarely post these days but I am Mrs Lurksalot! :yarr:

Big thanks to all admin and mods (past and present) for their hard work :)

Am now off to cause mischief somewhere in the hope that icastle will reprimand me! :gas:
[/quote]

:lol: - you're the second one in two days to say that.
I'm starting to wonder if Ped has plans to set up SpankyChat and everyone knows about it except me..! :blink:

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1344705867' post='1768224']
Wayne, you are ...get you down.[/quote]

Lovely as a PM, maybe not quite so lovely as an open post. :rolleyes: :lol:

Frankly, I can understand that people might feel overlooked, but I suppose you have to tell the team that you'd like to help out if any vacancies come up. I mean, they're not telepathic. Y'know, that thing where you make stuff fly around all on its own.