Why become a member? ×

What a great way to showcase different basses.

steve-soar

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1344275903' post='1762145']
Well yes it is, but it did make me think:

If you didn't know what it was, and only heard it, would it really jump out at you that the bass kept changing?

I don't think it would to me.
[/quote]

I think you would notice the difference between the Stingray and the others. the Stingray just sounded so thin and twangy. Good but noticably different.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1344275903' post='1762145'] Well yes it is, but it did make me think: If you didn't know what it was, and only heard it, would it really jump out at you that the bass kept changing? I don't think it would to me. Count (Cloth Eared) Bassy [/quote]

They mostly sounded very different to me. I closed my eyes and only looked at the ones I enjoyed the sound of.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1344283150' post='1762303']
They mostly sounded very different to me. I closed my eyes and only looked at the ones I enjoyed the sound of.
[/quote]

I did the same thing.
Turns out I like the Jazz the most.
Followed by the Warwicks.

Loved the sound of the fretless stingray too.

What a great vid, and playing.
The Jazz was my favourite, and I also quite liked the fretless 'Ray and the Star.
Every time the fretted 'Ray came on, I involountarily winced - way too trebly for me, and quite unpleasant IMO.

I especially loved the Slap tone on the Star - very Larry Graham. Lovely.

Good video, I watched blind and my favourites were the Warwick Star, Alembic and the fretless 'Ray. The Streamer was a bit too refined and the burgundy Ray was too high end sounding for me. Nothing wrong with the Jazz but I preferred the other 3 I mentioned.

Oddly, if you put all the basses in front of me and said I could have 1 but had 10 seconds to decide (not hearing or playing any) I think I'd have gone for the Streamer or the Jazz. Proof that you should listen with your ears and not your eyes.

Edited by GarethFlatlands

I was reading through the comments as it was playing but scrolled back up when I heard a nice bass sound and it was the two Warwicks every time. The Star then the Streamer for me. I could spot the fretted Stingray every time (I winced at the sound...). Always liked the idea of a Stingray, being a big Flea fan but tried one and it was a horrible clangy piece of crap in my opinion. Perhaps a bad example combined with bad playing but it was truly dreadful for me. Different strokes and all that...

very interesting when all compared so close together in conitnuity like this

normally am a big warwick and ray tone fan but these ones didnt do it for me although the star was my personal fave of the two warwicks

J by a mile for me :)

wonder how much difference there would be through a different rig?

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1344283150' post='1762303']
[/quote]

Yes, but if you hadn't known that he was changing basses would you have sat up and said 'Oh, he's changed basses'. ?.

I could hear differences (many of them not that strongly), but then I knew (and could see) that they changed.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1344377943' post='1763797']
Yes, but if you hadn't known that he was changing basses would you have sat up and said 'Oh, he's changed basses'. ?.

I could hear differences (many of them not that strongly), but then I knew (and could see) that they changed.
[/quote]

I heard pronounced differences on most of them, and subtle differences on some of them.

It's also confirmed for me that I'll never own a Stingray :)