Why become a member? ×

I'm *officially* a bassist! :)

lowdowner

So, during a phone call, my brother (not a man to impress easily) finally called me 'a bassist'! It's taken years to get this familial confirmation of my dedication to the bass, and it took me by surprise...

Mind you, he said that I would be even more of a bassist if I owned more than two basses - he works with a lot of musicians and he claims that there is no musician more prone to collecting lots of instruments than bass players (and he was grumbling that I didn't have a 'spare' one for him to borrow!).

I feel like I've grown up all of a sudden :P

Do you remember the first time someone referred to you as 'the bassist' or similar?

david
('the bassist')

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1344190869' post='1760991']
A long time ago but an equally rewarding experience. Full power to you David.
[/quote]

Hey, thanks :)

to be fair to my brother, he's seen me experiment with other instruments before finally 'settling' on the bass - there's no mistaking the fact that i've found my own personal way of expressing myself :)

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1344191051' post='1761001']
One of my FB friends commented on a photo (long since deleted) of me playing my 4-stringer, with the words "Wow, look at that bassist!!!!". That was around a year after I started, so I was still a beginner, but it felt nice :)
[/quote]

I bet - good for you! :)

My family have never seen me play bass.
Only time they've ever seen me play was when I got up with the band at my first wedding to get out of dancing - and they handed me a Strat... :lol:

I used to be called a 'bassist' but I've ended up playing so many different things over the years that it got confusing for everyone.
"This is our bass player except he's playing guitar tonight... except when he's playing a low D whistle, unless he's playing a bodhran..." is a bit of a mouthful.
I'm also, what I'd describe as, a pretty mediocre mandolin and fiddle player who can bluff his way through a tune or two.

I just get described as a musician these days, something I'm happy to be called as it involves a lot less explanation... :D

When i started at music college during theory lecture the lecturer addressed the class. He said

"When people asked me what i do i used to say i was a pianist. They would say 'oh really di you know this tune, do you know that tune'. I got fed up of this so i started saying i was a musician. Then they would say 'really, what drugs do you take'. So i started telling people i was an Emotive Response Manipulator. They didn't say anything"

I liked this so when people ask me the question............I say i'm a musician!

The first time I felt like a proper Bassist was one weekend when I'd gone along to the local Youth Club, which was closed but had bands practising there, I'd gone along to smear my snotty nose against the window watching the bands play. One of the bands I had seen play a sold out club a few weeks before. This day they were Bassistless and I got talking to them and they asked me to go and get my gear, so I did and got myself a place in my first proper band! All of a sudden I was on the other side of the glass and it was ace.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1344199571' post='1761216']
The first time I felt like a proper Bassist was one weekend when I'd gone along to the local Youth Club, which was closed but had bands practising there, I'd gone along to smear my snotty nose against the window watching the bands play. One of the bands I had seen play a sold out club a few weeks before. This day they were Bassistless and I got talking to them and they asked me to go and get my gear, so I did and got myself a place in my first proper band! All of a sudden I was on the other side of the glass and it was ace.
[/quote]

Brilliant story - must have felt fantastic :)

Guest bassman7755

One of my band mates recently commented that it was nice to have a "proper bassist" again since the guy I replaced was a guitarist-who-also-played-bass who allegedly played "too many notes" at times. I didnt have the heart to mention that I am myself an ex-guitarist.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1344190752' post='1760986']

Do you remember the first time someone referred to you as 'the bassist' or similar?
[/quote]

Nope - still waiting.

To be fair I don't even call myself a bassist. If some asks me if I play anything I tend to reply 'I play a bit of bass', which is probably about right.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1344209034' post='1761397']
Nope - still waiting.

To be fair I don't even call myself a bassist. If some asks me if I play anything I tend to reply 'I play a bit of bass', which is probably about right.
[/quote]

Same boat... but I've been working on it, and am putting a lot of resources into changing from beginner to very much improver. The theory is taking a while to get... but I'm at it till I get it.
I'm in it for good. I may as well be competent all round.

Looking forward to being called 'bassist' soon. :D

Yup, when I depped for one long ago.
Me: No, I'm not really a bassist. Just learned where to put my fingers for these songs.
He: Did you hold a bass? Did you make sound? Then you're a bassist.

Bad definition if you ask me. But fun.

best,
bassist-bert

Just remembered something from a few months ago. I'd gone into a Guitar shop with my wife and had a look around. I mentioned to my wife that there was only one Bass in the whole shop, and, being quiet because there was only my wife, the shopkeeper and me in there, the shopkeeper overheard me and said "I thought so, you look like a Bassist. When you walked in I thought "Bassist".". I was actually quite pleased, though I suppose it could be taken another way.

Edited by KingBollock

Nice one Lowdowner :D

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1344247886' post='1761570']
I've been told more than once I'm a "typical bass player". I'm not sure it's a compliment.
[/quote]

When I first mentioned learning bass to a long time bass playing friend he said that I should go for it, I look like a bass player. Still don't know what that means :huh:

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1344206437' post='1761364']
One of my band mates recently commented that it was nice to have a "proper bassist" again since the guy I replaced was a guitarist-who-also-played-bass who allegedly played "too many notes" at times.
[/quote]

I have had that said to me in my last couple of bands, it is very nice to hear :)

I remember standing in the pub one Saturday afternoon and one of my mates who i had known for approx 3 yrs said he was looking for a new bassist for a well established band he had. The existing guy was packing it in.
He asked if anyone knew of any bassists to the response of other mates who said "why not ask Dave - he's a bassist"
He had no idea i played bass and after dep for his next gig 2 weeks later i was offered the permanent position and enjoyed a good few yrs gigging all over UK.
Great time but that confirmed to me that i was in fact "a bassist"

Dave

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1344206437' post='1761364']
One of my band mates recently commented that it was nice to have a "proper bassist" again since the guy I replaced was a guitarist-who-also-played-bass who allegedly played "too many notes" at times[/quote]

I depped for and eventually replaced a, reportedly, attractive young lady.

I was told that it was nice to have a proper bassist... even if my arse wasn't as good as hers... :blink: