Why become a member? ×

We did a bad thing and people liked it.

gafbass02

At a recent gig I did with my 'guitar' band the new bassist explained he was having trouble hearing me, and could he have a guitar cab on my side of the 'stage' ( pub corner) (vocals only to pa)
I explained that I understood it was a bad idea for blah blah technical reasons. Him and the drummer stared blankly.
So come the gig I thought 'to hell with it'
And stacked my 1x12 guitar combo on a 2x10 bass cab behind me, and my 1x12 guitar extension cab on a 2x10 cab behind him.
It gets Worse. ..
I Hooked up with obbm 5m instrument cables. Not speaker cables.

Sounded great!?!
So great even the audience noticed, loads of comments on it. The whole thing sounded 'bigger'

Line up is guitar/vox bass/bv's and drums/bv's.
One of those things I guess.

Edited by gafbass02

Something the fledgling "Slade" started doing in 1966 on the advice of their long serving roadie "Swinn". With the same effect on their punters. Kinda like a huge stereo - almost!
They carried on doing it throughout their live careers even when they had a wall of Hiwatts.

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1344104185' post='1759910']
At a recent gig I did with my 'guitar' band the new bassist explained he was having trouble hearing me, and could he have a guitar cab on my side of the 'stage' ( pub corner) (vocals only to pa)
I explained that I understood it was a bad idea for blah blah technical reasons. Him and the drummer stared blankly.
So come the gig I thought 'to hell with it'
And stacked my 1x12 guitar combo on a 2x10 bass cab behind me, and my 1x12 guitar extension cab on a 2x10 cab behind him.
It gets Worse. ..
I Hooked up with obbm 5m instrument cables. Not speaker cables.

Sounded great!?!
So great even the audience noticed, loads of comments on it. The whole thing sounded 'bigger'

Line up is guitar/vox bass/bv's and drums/bv's.
One of those things I guess.
[/quote]

I'm sure somebody will be along in a moment with a graph & some big words to let you know exactly why you shouldn't have done it. :)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1344106884' post='1759969']
I'm sure somebody will be along in a moment with a graph & some big words to let you know exactly why you shouldn't have done it. :)
[/quote]

No doubts about that. But it sounds ideal to me. The same sound coming from either side of the stage.

I know! Funny old world eh. I'll do it a few more gigs, just to see.
We split both bass and guitar. In theory should be a horrendous mess. Maybe it's cause I leave space in the guitar lines.
(being a bassist 'n all!)

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1344106884' post='1759969']
[/quote]

OK, you asked for it. Now, pay attention . . . .

[attachment=114922:lecture1.jpg]

. . . . er, hang on, you said that the audience actually liked the sound?

Pass me the board rubber . . . .

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1344107438' post='1759979']
No doubts about that. But it sounds ideal to me. The same sound coming from either side of the stage.
[/quote]Above 100Hz or so that's perfectly OK, be it on stage or with the PA. Below 100Hz not so much, as explained here:
http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/in_search_of_the_power_alley/

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1344108581' post='1760000']
OK, you asked for it. Now, pay attention . . . .

[attachment=114922:lecture1.jpg]

. . . . er, hang on, you said that the audience actually liked the sound?

Pass me the board rubber . . . .
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1344236696' post='1761458']
I think the speaker/instrument cable is more of an issue the opposite way around. I tried using a speaker cable on my bass & it buzzed like a fridge.
[/quote]

Yes, the lack of shielding is an issue... but connecting a high powered amp to a cab with a cable rated much lower than the voltage and especially current running through it...
hot cables are bad. :(

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1344261822' post='1761853']
Yes, the lack of shielding is an issue... but connecting a high powered amp to a cab with a cable rated much lower than the voltage and especially current running through it...
hot cables are bad. :(
[/quote]

Especially when you're trying to roll em up after the gig! :D

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1344269065' post='1762011']
Yup - but the main concern is starting a fire... not guaranteed to happen but a real risk when overloading components.
[/quote]

Indeed...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3H6A5t_Bu8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3H6A5t_Bu8[/url]