Why become a member? ×

Fender Geddy Lee basses - where are they made now?

Conan

I believe this is an urban legend. Does anybody own a Mex Geddy Lee?

Edit -[size=6] I've just eaten my hat [/size]look at the made in mexico stamp on this geddy lee neck......yikes!!!!

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Fender-Japan-Geddy-Lee-JAZZ-BASS-NECK-J-Maple-Black-Block-Inlays-/360481926930"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Fender-Japan-Geddy-Lee-JAZZ-BASS-NECK-J-Maple-Black-Block-Inlays-/360481926930[/url]

Edited by gjones

Having just spent the morning at the new Fender Factory Tour in the US, it has really opened my eyes as to how they make their basses, how many parts are made in the US and then sent down to the Mexico plant for finishing and assembly and the overall care and attention that the people put into making these instruments.

I was pleasantly surprised to see how much of the US process is hand made and finished even though they are churning out over 500 guitars/ basses everyday.

They did mention that the scale of the Mexican plant, the increased use of automation and the choice to use some cheaper materials for some of the ranges all goes towards the end cost (I assume wages are a factor but they didn't mention this).

If you ever get the chance, then I would strongly recommend this tour (it's stated as a 45 min tour but we were the only ones that day and it took nearly two hours to walk round every stage of the process). It is truly impressive.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1344175289' post='1760683']
Have they reduced the price accordingly?

I'm guessing not....! :ph34r:
[/quote]

This is the key really. These days MIM classic series stuff is pretty-much on par with similar styled MIJ guitars such as the Geddy Lee. I'd be pretty confident if they are now MIM that the quality will be virtually indistinguishable, but as MIJ instruments seem to be so expensive these days, I'd certainly expect the price to drop.

Production cost will be the reason for moving production, so it'd be a bit 'off' of Fender to not pass some of that saving onto the consumer.

• 4 weeks later...

I played one of the new Mexican Geddys last week.

So impressed I put a deposit on it there and then. The last USA Jazz I played brand new in a shop was not in the same league... the GL beat it hands down in every way I could think of. Cant wait to get it back to my house next week!

Dont be put off by the Mexican heritage, this is one hell of a bass. And if truly worried about finish issues etc then I would suggest buying one from a reputable dealer that will give you 2yrs warranty on it :)

[quote name='danhkr' timestamp='1350135457' post='1834992']
This is the key really. These days MIM classic series stuff is pretty-much on par with similar styled MIJ guitars such as the Geddy Lee. I'd be pretty confident if they are now MIM that the quality will be virtually indistinguishable, but as MIJ instruments seem to be so expensive these days, I'd certainly expect the price to drop.

Production cost will be the reason for moving production, so it'd be a bit 'off' of Fender to not pass some of that saving onto the consumer.
[/quote]

That's more than a bit naive. They are moving production so they can keep their previous margins, not to make the bass cheaper to the punter.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1344175289' post='1760683']
Have they reduced the price accordingly?

I'm guessing not....! :ph34r:
[/quote]

No price reduction. Interestingly, the [i]New York Times[/i] did a front page (business section) story on Fender a few weeks ago, with NO mention of some of their guitars & basses being built in Mexico and Japan. The theme was 'a struggling American economy' from first to last.

tg

Edited by tedgilley

[quote name='clashcityrocker' timestamp='1352736267' post='1866732']
What is that and why don't I own it?!
[/quote]

I think it's one of these;

[url="http://www.bassramblings.com/2012/08/09/fender-deluxe-p-bass-special-pearlescent-seafoam-green/"]http://www.bassramblings.com/2012/08/09/fender-deluxe-p-bass-special-pearlescent-seafoam-green/[/url]

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1352666636' post='1865936']
That's more than a bit naive. They are moving production so they can keep their previous margins, not to make the bass cheaper to the punter.
[/quote]

I'd say it's more than a bit naive to believe they're not hoping to make a few more quid on each one by moving production to mexico.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1352980966' post='1870022']
With Fender, (and with all businesses, especially larger ones like this) its ALWAYS about the money.
[/quote]

Big +1 on this point . Recent events have proved no business is too big to fail . The people who run Fender know that if General Motors can face going to the wall then there is no reason why the same thing couldn't happen to them , except the American government are not going to bail out Fender at the eleventh hour like they did General Motors . In the current economic climate businesses are doing whatever they have to in order to survive long enough to be around when things eventually get better .

Edited by Dingus

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure you will still be able to find a new Jap made Geddy in a store somewhere. Dont know about Mex made GL's but every Jap one I have played has been wonderful and also wonderfully setup straight out of the box. I dont think £800 is out of the way for this model which has the best Fender neck ever made on it. Up to you man.

[quote name='rednose200' timestamp='1353804133' post='1878688']
I'm sure you will still be able to find a new Jap made Geddy in a store somewhere. Dont know about Mex made GL's but every Jap one I have played has been wonderful and also wonderfully setup straight out of the box. I dont think £800 is out of the way for this model which has the best Fender neck ever made on it. Up to you man.
[/quote]

In my limited experience (having only played 3 GLs!) I would whole-heartedly agree with this. If you pick one up second hand (typically in the £450-£550 range) then the quality is stunning.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1352980966' post='1870022']
With Fender, (and with all businesses, especially larger ones like this) its ALWAYS about the money.
[/quote]

As it should be. With large numbers of employees and customers it would be irresponsible for them to take unnecessary risks. I know nothing about business, but even I can understand that. I may not [i]like[/i] it however.... :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I hear all this talk that fender basses made in mexico are crap!! utter nonsense, i have one of the fender special precisions made in mexico, and i have owned american made models , this mexican bass is as good as if not better than some american basses i have played , i wonder who started all this nonsense that mexican fender are built less than usa models they are not!!! they all use the same components made in the same factory, just assembled in different locations. its like saying the mexican workers cant put four screws into a piece of wood utter nonsense its time to get real, the mexican instruments are like the usa and jap models there is good and bad. i think a lot of people are brainwashed about mexican basses. time to wise up.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1353837547' post='1878794']
In my limited experience (having only played 3 GLs!) I would whole-heartedly agree with this. If you pick one up second hand (typically in the £450-£550 range) then the quality is stunning.
[/quote]

Yes it is a very good jazz bass indeed....but its not as good as the Lakland Darryll Jones!

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1357766106' post='1928193']
Yes it is a very good jazz bass indeed....but its not as good as the Lakland Darryll Jones!
[/quote]

Are we talking Skyline?

The Skyline's i've played have never really lived up to any of the adulation i've read about; And i've played plenty as at one point I worked for a dealership.

But that's simply it - The ones I played didn't do it for me, the customers who bought them really liked them.

The fact is, if you've paid over Fender money for a Fender inspired bass, you really feel the need to reassure yourself with your decision to do so - you've made the right choice for you, and that's good enough, surely?

Not to pick at your post at all, but I'm just wondering where the entire 'X Country/X Company makes a 'Better' Fender than Fender' thinking has come from.

I owned a MIJ Marcus Miller for many years and sold it on owing to a few frustrations I had with it. Recently started taking delivery of MIM Marcus Miller models, and it felt just as well put together, similar weight f not a bit lighter than my 'minds eye' recollection of the more recent models we'd had from Japan - But for the same price more or less it has a much improved preamp, true active/passive and a more steady supply from the factory.

I've owned early 80's Japanese Squiers, Mexican Classic series, CIJ/MIJ, American Standard, American Vintage, Custom Shop and in recent times a late 70's US Fender (Eww I know, late 70's - they're all utter garbage, heavy and useless - Right?)

All of them were purchased because I liked/wanted them - If eventually Fender started using a factory on the moon, would there be the debate that MIM or MOM Fenders were better?

If in doubt, play a bass you fancy, and if it doesn't work out - At least you tried it, although in my experience, three basses of the same model, all delivered on the same day can be very different.

I have played great Japanese Fenders, and some I wouldn't have paid half the price for personally, same goes with US/Mexican/Korean/Chinese Fenders, I've played a hell of a lot more i'd be happy with.

I have had similar experiences with Celinders (One I would have killed for, one I wasn't struck with at all) Sadowsky's, and many others - It all boils down to the player in question and what they need and expect from a bass whether new/used/American/Dutch/Welsh made.

I'm off to play my Hewn from goat's bone made in Australia 19 string fretless now...

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' timestamp='1345068813' post='1773290']
I was speaking to an american guitar shop today about the Fender Geddy Lee bass and he said to me that the reason that they're all made in Mexico is because the Japan plant has been closed down.
[/quote]
Tell you anything, some people.