Why become a member? ×

Fender Geddy Lee basses - where are they made now?

Conan

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1344112475' post='1760080']
I read that on talk bass the other day
[/quote]

That was a six year old thread, started by someone who was told that by a music store that tried to sell him a bass quickly before "the production would move to Mexico". A lot of people jumped in after the bump to give their expert opinion, as usual on TB. ;)

Im really interested in one of these... I think i'd really get on with the neck as I love the slimmer neck on my 4003... but im thinking the list price of £800+ for these is somewhat steep when an American Standard (or Special) doesnt cost much more at all.

Id have whatever one felt best. Ive played poor USA ones, ive played poor Jap ones etc etc. The more recent USA P's are excellent - I dont generally buy new basses but I did in that case (2009 model w/ new bridge), as it was better than anything else in the "P" mould that I tried, Jap, Mex or Squier.

Anyone know any reason behind this decision? Purely cost-based? If the Mex Fenders are renowned for being cheaper and made to a lesser standard, how can they possibly keep the RRP of these two basses the same as when they were "cratfed" in Japan? Streamlining of the range? :blink:

[quote name='baseline9' timestamp='1344426426' post='1764230']
I have a 2006 US standard Jazz and it feels and sounds miles better than my mates GL Jap jazz, matter of opinion I guess and getting a "good" one or not.
[/quote]

It also depends on whether you get on with the ultra-slim neck on the GLs. Not sure why they should sound much different though...

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1344540639' post='1766285']
Both the Geddy Lee and Marcus Miller IV are now Mexican (014xxxx numbers).
[/quote]

So what do the other numbers indicate? 013...., 019... etc?

Why are Fender so cagey about stating clearly where their instruments are made? :(

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1344175289' post='1760683']
Have they reduced the price accordingly?

I'm guessing not....! :ph34r:
[/quote]

-what he said! They aren't cheap as it is, but if they stay the same price £800+ for a Mexican Bass is taking the mickey a little, especially with the Squier Vintage modified jazzes being so darn good value at the £270 mark. Expect the Jap ones to be a great investment from here on ;)

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1344540639' post='1766285']
Both the Geddy Lee and Marcus Miller IV are now Mexican (014xxxx numbers).
[/quote]

Nobody's told Fender Japan then, because they're still making the Marcus Millers [url="http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/jb77-mm.html"]http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/jb77-mm.html[/url]

I was speaking to an american guitar shop today about the Fender Geddy Lee bass and he said to me that the reason that they're all made in Mexico is because the Japan plant has been closed down.

Personally, this really annoys me as I was looking to buy a Fender Geddy Lee bass towards the end of this year and wanted it to be brand new but I don't want it to be a mexican made one because of all the horror stories I've heard about poor finish work, poor electrics etc. etc. Plus a japanese one would go nicely with my japanese made Steve Harris signature bass too. I don't want one second hand because I don't want it to be damaged in any way at all. I'd buy a second hand Jap one if I knew it was going to be in perfect condition with no dings or scratches.

Mexican Fenders can be great. I`ve never bought a Mex Fender that I didn`t like, however some have been better than others. So don`t be put off by MIMs, but make sure you physically try out any, I`m sure you`ll find one Ged that really sings when you play it.

• 1 month later...

Fender Mexico are making really good basses now. Have you ever played the road worn series jazz basses. Blimey they are the real deal. I would have no quarms about buying a Geddy made by the same folk. (shhhh now, but they might be even better!)

Edited by miles'tone

Indeed, if their 'Classic' series are anything to go by, the Geddy is in good hands. I owned the MIM 50s P-bass which has been one of the best P-basses I've played to date and it was only finances that stopped me walking out of the shop with the 70s Jazz after I had a play on one.

When I was buying a Strat, I played three different 2009 MIM models and it was literally down to the colour scheme that I left with the one I did (sunburst/maple). I think the MIM stuff has been great in recent years - probably down to competition forcing Fender to up it a bit.