Why become a member? ×

How fecking cool is this bass?

merello

#ARTISTS_BULLSHIT_ALERT

[b]Artist's Statement[/b]
"My last twenty five years have been spent as a fine art painter, drawer, and sculptor. What I have learned from 20th Century master artists, Giacometti, Cezanne, Matisse, Johns, and others, is an economy of technique, doing what is necessary to get the job done, nothing more, nothing less. The work of these great artists is about expression above all, and all gratuitous craft is rigorously paired away. Most fine guitar making is obsessive about craft perfection. Mine is not. I strive to build instruments that sound exceptional, play beautifully, and are extremely interesting to look at. The instruments aren't gratuitously tidy or perfectionistic or consistent. I tear them apart and rebuild them until I find them exciting. Perfect guitars are great, but there are plenty of those. I'm searching for something more raw, more direct." - Phil Sylvester

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1343802312' post='1755323']
#ARTISTS_BULLSHIT_ALERT

[b]Artist's Statement[/b]
"My last twenty five years have been spent as a fine art painter, drawer, and sculptor. What I have learned from 20th Century master artists, Giacometti, Cezanne, Matisse, Johns, and others, is an economy of technique, doing what is necessary to get the job done, nothing more, nothing less. The work of these great artists is about expression above all, and all gratuitous craft is rigorously paired away. Most fine guitar making is obsessive about craft perfection. Mine is not. I strive to build instruments that sound exceptional, play beautifully, and are extremely interesting to look at. The instruments aren't gratuitously tidy or perfectionistic or consistent. I tear them apart and rebuild them until I find them exciting. Perfect guitars are great, but there are plenty of those. I'm searching for something more raw, more direct." - Phil [s]Sylvester[/s][b] Silvers[/b]
[/quote]

Fixed it for you. Its the sort of tosh he would have said in Bilko!

i have to say, building a bass from an old violin that he found in a dumpster while looking for his dinner, slapping a bass neck on it and a set of P pickups, then calling it art and saying it costs £2400 is just the height of stupidty. for one, "art" isnt a functional thing. if it is art, hang it on the wall. the problem with that is, everyone you invite into your living room will have to gouge out their eyes.

so it isnt art. also, he says that he is economical with technique, in this case, crafting. ok, so he built a bass from an old viola, but he couldnt be fecked to put the time and effort and skill into making it at least look good? im not one to be fussy over the looks of a bass, but at that price, it needs to be at least well designed.

nobody give that man £2400, it isnt art, and he would be making about £2350 from that horrible thing.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1343822500' post='1755727']
i have to say, building a bass from an old violin that he found in a dumpster while looking for his dinner, slapping a bass neck on it and a set of P pickups, then calling it art and saying it costs £2400 is just the height of stupidty. f[b]or one, "art" isnt a functional thing. i[/b]f it is art, hang it on the wall. the problem with that is, everyone you invite into your living room will have to gouge out their eyes.
[/quote]

Well with that crappy bridge I'd say it falls well short of being functional. :D

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1343824330' post='1755772']
It is f***ing vile. What an abysmal and sick-making disproportionate travesty. Like having a monster penis with tiny little bollocks.
[/quote]

Someone bang this in the quotes thread. I'm too lazy. And a little perturbed by the image of Nige with a monster penis and tiny little bollocks.

Better yet, get this quote on the artist's website. It would lend integrity.