Why become a member? ×

What's the last bassline you learned?

Doc B

I was trying to nail Layla, but it's just not clicking at all. Get midway through the verse and there's a slight rest and it just throws me completely. I'm not a Blues/Rock player and find it extremely frustrating when I can't nail a song that sounds so bloody simple. :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='1114473' date='Feb 3 2011, 08:38 PM']I was trying to nail Layla, but it's just not clicking at all. Get midway through the verse and there's a slight rest and it just throws me completely. I'm not a Blues/Rock player and find it extremely frustrating when I can't nail a song that sounds so bloody simple. :)[/quote]

I was just noodling through the guitar part on my GS, I don't like the song but it's a nice warm up.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1114491' date='Feb 3 2011, 08:49 PM']I was just noodling through the guitar part on my GS, I don't like the song but it's a nice warm up.[/quote]

It's in my detest list. 70's blues rock is something I can't abide anymore. Can't really see where it's going to fit in a set that's got Greenday, Pink and Blink 182 in it. It'll sound out of place. Well it won't actually as it won't get played :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='1114533' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:13 PM']It's in my detest list. 70's blues rock is something I can't abide anymore. Can't really see where it's going to fit in a set that's got Greenday, Pink and Blink 182 in it. It'll sound out of place. Well it won't actually as it won't get played :)[/quote]

The amount of 70's blues/rock bands that are out there is stunning, it's just drivel

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1114541' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:20 PM']The amount of 70's blues/rock bands that are out there is stunning, it's just drivel[/quote]

Funny you saying that Wayne. I was talking to a drummer from that type of band who do the pubs up here and they are knocking it on the head as they can`t get gigs whereas we are having to knock back gigs. And they are much better players than us but thay ain`t playing what Joe public wants to hear at the mo.
Luckily, we realise that we are entertainers and play what the public want!! :)

Latest bassline learned: Year of the cat by Al Stewart for no particular reason.

Jez

[quote name='achknalligewelt' post='1115060' date='Feb 4 2011, 11:03 AM']I Predict a Riot by the Kaiser Chiefs for a wedding gig. Love them or hate them, their bassist, whoever he is, can't half play. The line is intense - all over the neck, high and low, fast 8ths, twiddly high-register bits and a couple of huge leaps. By the end, I'm knackered. Very satisfying indeed.[/quote]

It's a great line.. I've played it in three different bands now. Unfortunately, nobody (i.e. guitarists) ever listens and tries to play it as some horrific loud thrash when there actually quite a bit of subtlety.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1115074' date='Feb 4 2011, 11:14 AM']I regularly growl at Youtube. There's a chap on there, DavidSinRocks, who always makes me look sh*t.

Quick edit - I assume we're both talking about the same guy, as he has a blinding cover of that track! :)[/quote]

Yep - that's the guy. He needs a slap for the extra twiddly bits but he's young :)

EDIT: Oh God... I just saw some of his other stuff. Yeh - ok, I'm packing in now.

Edited by thepurpleblob

• 1 month later...

Last night I learnt Wonderwall (Oasis version), easier with one of Paul Wolfe's videos. Nearly done Anthony Jackson's bassline on Move Me No Mountain, before that Aretha's Say A Little Prayer. Just need a band to play these with!

Just started working on Love Foolosophy - a Jamiroquai track. Good fun bass line - quite disco in places and some very odd timing on some pull offs way up the neck. Damn, the songs even got a bass chord in it innit...

The guy who did the original line is a tasty player IMHO.

Just learned 'Pride And Joy' by Stevie Ray Vaughan, fair to say it's a total b*tch but sounds brilliant if you nail it! Also am in the process of learning Californication by the Chili Peppers, which is taking some amount if learning :)

Tonight to get to r/h first run/will it work/what key have been through

Street Legal - Unconditional Love - a nice Lizzy type dual guitar with some mild doubled bass widdles
Whitesnake - Ready & Willing - not much there
Family - Burlesque - this'll be down to feel
and brushed up on
Led Zep - Good Times Bad Times - must remember the first bass bit that I had remembered every time at r/h amd promptly forgot at the gig. DOH!
and
Porcupine Tree - Blackest Eyes double checked before Friday as well