Why become a member? ×

What's the last bassline you learned?

Doc B

Not learning per se but I am looking at the six Bach Cello Suites at the moment. Great reading practice and great for learning your way around the double bass without looking at your left hand fingering. Its also helping me nail my intonation. Also makes peractising more interesting that running straight scales and arpeggios.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='868863' date='Jun 16 2010, 11:27 AM']Not learning per se but I am looking at the six Bach Cello Suites at the moment. Great reading practice and great for learning your way around the double bass without looking at your left hand fingering. Its also helping me nail my intonation. Also makes peractising more interesting that running straight scales and arpeggios.[/quote]

I also recently looked at this, however it was on electric bass.

Refreshed my memory on "Invaders" by Iron Maiden and am continuing my work on "Scarified" by Racer X.
Got my P-bass playing sweet again and what better to play than some good 80's metal!?
Got my friend with his pink pickuped RG550 (ogh...) to learn it also and were gonna blast it out on Friday...thats 2 days to nail it...Mmm a worthy challenge!

'Sex And Drugs And Rock'N'Roll' - Ian Dury And The Blockheads, easier than i expected.
'Take It Easy' - The Eagles...Pretty straightforward.
'Come Together' and 'Ticket To Ride' by The Beatles; new found respect for Macca, Ticket To Ride has a great feel to it.

Trav

[quote name='TRadford' post='869523' date='Jun 16 2010, 10:26 PM']Just nailed Jimi's Hey Joe and Purple Haze.

I say nailed, more like learnt the notes and have them in vaugley the right order with a smattering of feel and groove.[/quote]
I'm currently adopting the same approach with "Fool For Your Loving" (Whitesnake). :)

Have to admit I'm struggling with a few of the twiddly bits (timing issues mainly), so have resorted to playing something resembling them down an octave or just pummelling away at the root until inspiration strikes.

[quote name='craigjf1969' post='186318' date='Apr 27 2008, 09:58 AM']Just lately mastered Sir Duke and most recently Hit Me with Your Rythmn Stick....and now i feel like i have got arthritis in my fingers :) :rolleyes:[/quote]
one of the hardest basslines ive had a go at god bless Ian Dury

[quote name='Kongo' post='869611' date='Jun 17 2010, 02:02 AM']Refreshed my memory on "Invaders" by Iron Maiden and am continuing my work on "Scarified" by Racer X.
Got my P-bass playing sweet again and what better to play than some good 80's metal!?
Got my friend with his pink pickuped RG550 (ogh...) to learn it also and were gonna blast it out on Friday...thats 2 days to nail it...Mmm a worthy challenge![/quote]

Forgot about this thread...Ah yes it was an interesting one. We got about 1/4 of the way nailed and it was real fun...I ain't practiced it since but lets say, the 2 days to nail it wasn't going to happen...I'm not used to the style their bassist uses in his solo's etc and it was completely alien to me to fit it in my style...needs a lot of practise.

[quote name='goblin' post='886935' date='Jul 6 2010, 01:14 AM']Got round to learning 'I Wish' and 'Sir Duke' today. They're pretty fun lines to play.[/quote]

I Wish is on the tah dooo list

I'm building a new blues rock band with a fine guitarist
So far we have worked on lots of John Mayer live versions and that's been full of nice surprises. [url="http://www.laineygossip.com/John_Mayer_racist_interrupts_Kumail_Nanjiani.aspx"]Though Mayer is a bit of a dork.[/url]

My respect for Pino was already well developed but it's now finding a new level.
He plays so much in the trio live stuff, and with such a bassy tone, that working out all the extra ghost notes, little percussive bits and feel and groove additions he's doing is challenging. I'll not be doing them all live myself but it's a good exercise in trio bass playing.

The songs themselves are Ok and root note versions are in not difficult, it's all the rest that's stretching me right now. A lot of it I assumed was drums or maybe tapped low organ stuff but, on closer examination it turns out to be bass (unless there's some naughty overdubbing going on)

Edited by OldGit

Some good ones this week, from Jah Wobble :-)

God In The Beginning
Becoming More Like God
I'm An Algerian
Amor
Take Me To God

All most excellent, simple enough to play when you know them, but great note choices, rhythm and feel. I'm sure he plays as much on the deeper strings as possible to get a fatter sound.

And also, "It's My Life" from Talk Talk. Great line, I'm still trying to work out a good fingering so I can play the bridge smoothly.

Jennifer

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='887096' date='Jul 6 2010, 10:59 AM']Costello - Pump It Up[/quote]

Great bassline - just learnt that myself.

Currently learning Millionaire Waltz by Queen - nice party piece when played at full speed.

Edit: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xVzsdGnLEQ"]Looks like this bloke's nailed it.[/url]

[quote name='endorka' post='887076' date='Jul 6 2010, 10:35 AM']Some good ones this week, from Jah Wobble :-)

God In The Beginning
Becoming More Like God
I'm An Algerian
Amor
Take Me To God

All most excellent, simple enough to play when you know them, but great note choices, rhythm and feel. I'm sure he plays as much on the deeper strings as possible to get a fatter sound.

And also, "It's My Life" from Talk Talk. Great line, I'm still trying to work out a good fingering so I can play the bridge smoothly.

Jennifer[/quote]

Wobble is so different. Great stuff.

Mumford & sons - Winter winds
Levellers - Far From home
Levellers - The Road
Led Zep - Kashmir.

After not playing a gig for 6 years, my old band did a mini-set at my own wedding two months ago (great fun) and a close friend of ours is getting married this weekend and she wants us to play again at her reception, seeing as we'll be there anyway!
The groom is an awesome fiddle player and wants in, so we're doing the above, plus a couple of other oldies.
Should be great!