Why become a member? ×

It's him, again....

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1344189668' post='1760952']
If it'se getting returned and the sale was succesfully completed, MDP is still getting charged his insertion and final values fees, so he's losing out.
[/quote]
I'm sure that situation is nicely absorbed by his markup :D

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1344190469' post='1760979']
Why would you leave +Ve for something you are sending back?
[/quote]

If you're in on the gag with this fella? I mean, that Axe guitar is the same one from a previous auction, isn't it? Unless he's bought a job lot.

Forgive me if ive missed something here;

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tanglewood-Rebel-4K-bass-guitar-with-Jazz-bass-and-precision-pickups-/190711035101?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c674374dd#ht_500wt_1282"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tanglewood-Rebel-4K-bass-guitar-with-Jazz-bass-and-precision-pickups-/190711035101?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c674374dd#ht_500wt_1282[/url]

[color=#000000]
[font="Arial"][size="4"]Thanks for checking it out,[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000]
[font="Arial"][size="4"]Mark D Phillips....... (master setter-upper)[/size][/font][/color]

Could someone explain the meaning of "custom" to me please? I'd take it as something made for me especially to my specification, not a bog standard replacement pickup from CH guitars, who bless them are hardly winding their own pick-ups....? But what do I know....?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aria-pro-2-semi-acoustic-with-custom-CH-Guitars-soapbar-pickup-and-humbucker/190708001487?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=009&category=2384&cmd=ViewItem"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aria-pro-2-semi-acoustic-with-custom-CH-Guitars-soapbar-pickup-and-humbucker/190708001487?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=009&category=2384&cmd=ViewItem[/url]

Haha that line about it sounding like a Rickenbacker is more of his classic bullshit to cheat the unwary out of their money. Please no more defending this conman.

I wonder when his tin of cure-all beeswax is going to run out. Got a dink in the wood? Rub some beeswax in it. Need to colour match a botched repair? Beeswax. Fretboard needs something arbitrary done to it so you can write about it in an advert and make it seem like you know what you are doing when you clearly don't? Beeswax. Pickups not working? Beeswax. Daughter cuts her leg on some half-inched scrap poking out the back of your Sherpa van... beeswax.

I really am not sure this is bad.... I mean... cheap instruments.... he does a bit of "work" on it... and still selling for cheap... its not like he's making huge profit on ***** guitars...

if he manages to do a business out of this... i can only say congrats...

maybe its just me... (which it seems to be apparently :P)

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1344415918' post='1764004']
...its not like he's making huge profit on ***** guitars...[/quote]

Yes, there are certainly far worse abominations taking place daily in the wonderful world of consumer capitalism.
The worst of which you don't get to hear about, of course. :D

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1344415918' post='1764004']
I really am not sure this is bad.... I mean... cheap instruments.... he does a bit of "work" on it... and still selling for cheap... its not like he's making huge profit on ***** guitars...

if he manages to do a business out of this... i can only say congrats...

maybe its just me... (which it seems to be apparently :P)
[/quote]

What he is doing is quite simply unethical. It wouldn't be so bad if he actually was improving or fixing them as he claims.
He buys in knackered budget instruments, disguises their flaws, claims to set them up when he clearly has no proper understanding of what that entails then adds a crazy margin on top which he justifies by claiming that his instruments equal the top named brands. It is quite clear just from the pictures (even though they have been taken strategically so as to try and not to show the flaws) that many of the instruments he sells are actually worse after he has finished buggering about with them.
He has built himself up as some repair guru and is duping inexperienced and budding musicians. To me he is no better that these cold caller pricks that target the elderly with their sales pitch and botched roofing or garden services or whatever. Once or twice is fine (it's ebay after all) but as you say this guy seems to be making a living out of it.... by cheating and lying and selling something not fit for it's purpose.
Do you honestly think that's fair enough?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1344429248' post='1764283']
Can someone please explain why we are so worked up about this guy?
[/quote]

His answer to a simple question about string height.

[i] Q: hi what is the buzz free string height at the 12th fret on the low and high E strings on your aria cheers Mack 01-Aug-12 [/i]

[i]A: Hello, I think the build technology employed on a vintage Aria was never as advanced as a modern Schecter or Ibanez neck, so the consistency of fret levelling is unlikely to be as perfect, but it is still excellent and I have brought the action down till you can stop a string with just the lightest finger tip pressure, and the notes still ring out strong and clear. Beyond a safe optimum you are in the realms of accepting an element of general buzz to give a string action almost on the fret wires that lets you skim effortlessly through phrases... but picking your way through a quieter piece the results might not be as ideal, so you way up the pros and cons. I think this Aria now plays as well as any, and better than most! Thanks, Mark.......... [/i]

So I'm not going to measure it for you, because I've had to set the action so high to stop it buzzing that you will never buy the thing, I'm just going to name drop and bullshit you.

He is good fun though :rolleyes:

Edited by davehux

On his feedback and that returning Axe, because there's no negative feedback for sellers now, a lot post glowing positives as soon as the punter pays. Naive buyer, maybe a beginner, receives guitar, it seems ok, so they leave positive in return. A few days later, either the bodges start to show through, or they show it to someone who can play, who points out the problems. So they negotiate a return. I seem to remember somewhere he said he'd exchanged a guitar when the first one "didn't suit" the buyer.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1344429248' post='1764283']
Can someone please explain why we are so worked up about this guy?
[/quote]

There are some people on here who do know how to set up and repair a guitar, whether they do it professionally or not. I'm not one, but I can understand why they get a bit upset about what he's doing. For the rest of us, I guess it's just a never-ending replay of a car crash.