Why become a member? ×

It's him, again....

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1344430750' post='1764318']
But it's totally obvious that this guy is a know-nothing bullsh*tt*r, so why are we giving him and the crap he's trying to shift so much publicity?
[/quote]

Aye but if all the publicity is negative and we manage to save some of our kids from buying his crap then we've done a good thing. No?

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1344432696' post='1764382']
+1

If you look he has a mark up of roughly the cost of a set up. so someone could buy the same sh*te on Ebay from him and get an actual Pro to set it up and possibly have change.

+1 again

I just like seeing what he has done to the next one. It's quit comical. What he passes of as pro-set up instruments and modifications are something some folk on here would do with a few spare minutes and a parts bin full of spares ripped out of other junkers.

the bit the pisses me off (And partially from communication over ebay) Is he sees himself as a "pro" because there is no official professional qualification for luthiers. so basically sees it as fair game to falsely label himself as a "pro" because he makes a pound or two at it.
[/quote]

That's it.
And it is cringingly astonishing how it never ends. :D

I think you're all being perfectly [i][b]horrid[/b][/i].

He's a great luthier and I'm so impressed with his work that I've commissioned him to build my perfect bass.

He's agreed to build a bass that combines all the best features of a Fender Precision, a Hofner Violin, a Rickenbacker, and a headless Status.

It will have a bone nut and a brass nut and two zero frets (just to make sure) and he's going to file all of them personally instead of passing that work to his pet goat.

I've specified both a single pickup and two pickups to get the best of both worlds, plus he's agreed to import some special beeswax to rub onto the strings.

He's promised to make sure that it's delivered with the best concavity that money can buy, and exactly the right amount of fret buzz on the big thick string.

I'm so excited.

I just love what he's done to the bridge on this [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Student-acoustic-fast-learner-guitar-set-up-like-an-electric-for-lead-work-/190711206467?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c67461243#ht_500wt_1288"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Student-acoustic-fast-learner-guitar-set-up-like-an-electric-for-lead-work-/190711206467?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c67461243#ht_500wt_1288[/url]

-also note the '[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=1]what looks like Grover tuners (photo 8), but are exact perfect replicas and they work just as nicely as grovers.' [/size][/font][/color]-kinda like my first bass, an old £50 factory-damaged(or perhaps 'factory improved'..?) Boston Precision copy, which was of course an 'exact perfect replica' of a real Fender Precision and worked just as nicely as a Fender... I wish.

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1344429963' post='1764297'][i]I think the build technology employed on a vintage Aria was never as advanced as a modern Schecter or Ibanez neck[/i][/quote]
What total b*ll*cks. And if a clearer demonstration of what he doesn't know were required, I really don't know where it would come from. "Arias" were built by Matsumoku (no slouches), FujiGen (no slouches - and also some of the guys who built for Ibanez), Tokai (no slouches - and some more of the guys who built for Ibanez) and Samick (both Japan and Korea - also no slouches - and the guys in Korea built for Schecter). He's a p*ll*ck.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1344464161' post='1765135']
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=1]

[/size][/font]
Is it just me or is the Fret high on the treble side. As in off the fretboard?[/quote]

Case in point. What did he cut those slots with? A pneumatic drill?

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]

[/size][/font]
Is it just me or is the Fret high on the treble side. As in off the fretboard?
[/quote]

Looks as if it has in fact popped out, doubtless he will set it up to play as well for the beginner as for the professional.....

We should club in to buy one of his basses and then allow our in house reviewer to give it the once over.
This could be done with his knowledge and it may stop him selling these monstrous creations and be an interesting laugh.

We could then advertise the bass with his description and our description and see if it sells!

Not sure if thats cruel, illegal or a public service for the unwary?

[/size][/font]
[/quote]

Ach all it needs a bit of bees wax and it'll be playing like Schecterbacker before you know it.

:D

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1344467470' post='1765207']Looks as if it has in fact popped out, doubtless he will set it up to play as well for the beginner as for the professional.....[/quote]
Do you think fretwire popping out slots is as a result of his heavy-handed truss rod adjustments?
[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1344467598' post='1765210']There's Butchers who cut bones better than that......you could get a set of Bass Strings in those gaps[/quote]
Could just be perspective, or my eyes, but the A string looks somewhat higher than the D string. Although it's hard to focus on the relative heights as I keep getting distracted by how wide the slots have been cut.

[/size][/font]
[/quote]

I can hear those strings buzzing without even touching them :o

And I did a better job recutting a nut last night with a stanley knife and an old set of strings (though not pretty, there was also superglue and bone dust involved in the emergency nut repair)

I also like his "grovers" and how straight he has managed to fit them... :blink:

[quote name='Voodoosnake' timestamp='1344469901' post='1765229']
We could then advertise the bass with his description and our description and see if it sells!
[/quote]

Well considering we've caught him selling the same instrument twice, I doubt that his descriptions are even selling much for him. Most of the instruments we are looking at have no bids.

If someone here reviewed one, I would be worried about it increasing sales because either (a) people can't believe it's that bad and will take a punt, or (b ) believe that its really bad, but so bad that they have to see what one is like!

Edited for smiley pwnage.

Edited by Commando Jack

Oh my goodness - can somebody arrange the funeral for this [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aria-Pro2-The-Cat-rough-looking-road-worn-relic-new-strings-full-overhaul-/190711034420?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c67437234"]road-worn relic[/url]?

Edited to add this classic quote:

[font="Arial"]The jack socket sits in a copper coated plate at the tail end of the scratchplate; it catches the light and could be used as a dazzle the crowd thing next time you play at the Wembley Arena![/font]

Edited by Norris

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1344517167' post='1765796']
Oh my goodness - can somebody arrange the funeral for this [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aria-Pro2-The-Cat-rough-looking-road-worn-relic-new-strings-full-overhaul-/190711034420?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c67437234"]road-worn relic[/url]?

Edited to add this classic quote:

[font=Arial]The jack socket sits in a copper coated plate at the tail end of the scratchplate; it catches the light and could be used as a dazzle the crowd thing next time you play at the Wembley Arena![/font]
[/quote]

That was the highlight, but I get the impression that he's kind of given up on the rest of the post. Boo for MDP, he's not even trying to entertain us now :sad:

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1344521107' post='1765875']
that looks like my first bass. Stood on the cable, bust the scrachplate and made a new bit out of a bit of metal cut from a hyundai accent when it got a sunroof :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

I bet you wished you could have dazzled the crowd with some incredibly dull copper :D