Why become a member? ×

It's him, again....

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1343257426' post='1748067']
ive just been noseying through his listings and he has a `usa knopfler classic` electric guitar basically a strat copy that someone has written `knopfler` onto the headstock in two tone marker pen!

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USA-Knopfler-classic-electric-guitar-/190706331967?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c66fbb13f"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c66fbb13f[/url]
[/quote]

That is just [b][i]superb[/i][/b]!! Made my fkn morning, that!!

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1343379142' post='1749697']
'Stacker'
That is just [b][i]superb[/i][/b]!! Made my fkn morning, that!!

MB1. B)
"We are the sultans, we are the sultans of ming!" :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Sultans of mingin', more like, as we would say up here!

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='the hand of john curley' timestamp='1343409073' post='1750408']It's like the Python "Fish license" sketch

"that's not a knopfler, it's an encore with the word encore crossed out and knopfler written on in crayon"!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
No it's not. It's a parrot.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1343477538' post='1751266']I love this quote...

"This strat is based on an Encore model..."

It is a bloody ENCORE you pillock!!![/quote]
And, of course, Encore debuted its first "Strat" in 1954. Hmm, or did it? Maybe, and it's just me being pedantic, I know, the Encore is based on a "Fender" Strat.

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1343595401' post='1752579']
makes me wonder if every bass or guitar ive ever owned needed the nut filing ?
[/quote]
It's possible... For optimum setup I believe there's an optimum string height from the first fret to the strings. [i]He's[/i] not going about it quite the right way, but he's on the right track.

[media]http://youtu.be/cI9Y9MsmnEc[/media]

I keep meaning to getting around to doing mine. Though I am waiting until I can get hold of some bone to make my nuts from scratch.

If you're going for the perfect setup then I think it's worth doing.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1343595810' post='1752590']It's possible... For optimum setup I believe there's an optimum string height from the first fret to the strings. [i]He's[/i] not going about it quite the right way, but he's on the right track.[/quote]
He filed down the inner surfaces on a locking nut. Huh? What you're saying may well be right, but it's not the logic or science this guy is applying. Seriously, with this guy it's more like an obsession with grinders and files.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1343596124' post='1752599']
He filed down the inner surfaces on a locking nut. Huh? What you're saying may well be right, but it's not the logic or science this guy is applying. Seriously, with this guy it's more like an obsession with grinders and files.
[/quote]
Oh! Nononono! Don't get me wrong. That man is a monster, the way he tortures those poor instruments, it's just wrong. Though, knowing that for an optimum setup you may have to alter the nut, I have questioned the wisdom of metal locking nuts. Surely they're made in the same way as any other mass produced nut? They're cast from a standard mould and expected to fit every Guitar they're put on, that can't be quite right, can it?

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1343595810' post='1752590']
It's possible... For optimum setup I believe there's an optimum string height from the first fret to the strings. [i]He's[/i] not going about it quite the right way, but he's on the right track.

[media]http://youtu.be/cI9Y9MsmnEc[/media]

I keep meaning to getting around to doing mine. Though I am waiting until I can get hold of [b]some bone to make my nuts from scratch.[/b]

If you're going for the perfect setup then I think it's worth doing.
[/quote]

Try your local pet store!

But, it's sheer dumb luck that he's turned up at the right ballpark. Some of his descriptions of the guitars in the state he acquired them suggest clearance of 3 or 4 mm at the first fret. The first fret! Leaving aside that he calls a nut a zero fret, I find those measurements hard to believe. I'd actually like to know what it is he's measuring, and where it is he's measuring it! Guitar f*ck*r-upper aside, I understand what you're saying about the manufacturing and fitting tolerances of locking nuts. With modern manufacturing equipment and techniques the neck blanks, touchboard depths, and nuts themselves are being produced, and assembled/fitted, with incredible precision and consistency. But, in those situations where a nut is out, then removing excess material from the base of the nut or shimming the nut up, I'm sure, would be standard practice during initial setup and testing. Back to our guitar b*gg*r-upper, is it possible that every guitar he works on needs it's nut filed down? He's never had one where the opposite has been required? Or where it's simply the width of the slot that needs to be increased? It's stretching credibility, surely?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1343598315' post='1752638']
Try your local pet store!
[/quote]
I kept asking my wife to pop into a Butcher shop for a Cow leg, but in the end she went to a pet shop and came back with a little bone covered in some kind of crust. No bloomin' good to me. I did explain why I wanted such a big bone and what it was for, but I made the mistake of saying that the Dog could have the rest of it, and that's all she heard, she thinks it's just for the Dog, who is a little thing, so a big bone is no good. For such a clever woman she can't 'alf be a bit thick sometimes.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1343598880' post='1752646']
But, it's sheer dumb luck that he's turned up at the right ballpark. Some of his descriptions of the guitars in the state he acquired them suggest clearance of 3 or 4 mm at the first fret. The first fret! Leaving aside that he calls a nut a zero fret, I find those measurements hard to believe. I'd actually like to know what it is he's measuring, and where it is he's measuring it! Guitar f*ck*r-upper aside, I understand what you're saying about the manufacturing and fitting tolerances of locking nuts. With modern manufacturing equipment and techniques the neck blanks, touchboard depths, and nuts themselves are being produced, and assembled/fitted, with incredible precision and consistency. But, in those situations where a nut is out, then removing excess material from the base of the nut or shimming the nut up, I'm sure, would be standard practice during initial setup and testing. Back to our guitar b*gg*r-upper, is it possible that every guitar he works on needs it's nut filed down? He's never had one where the opposite has been required? Or where it's simply the width of the slot that needs to be increased? It's stretching credibility, surely?
[/quote]
I have absolutely no idea what goes through his mind. I suffer with nightmares enough as it is, so I don't want to got thinking too deeply about it.

It's like he's developed one idea about how a Guitar should be setup and he's come up with one way of doing it, so he does it the same way everytime, regardless.

And this thing he has for changing pickups. It's like he thinks that changing a pickup makes it look like he's done a lot of work and so makes it worth more. So when he's got two Guitars in he automatically changes a couple of the pickups over, ignoring the instances where he's stuck a bridge pickup in a neck slot and vice versa, because he doesn't know the difference.

Oddly I've just been put in mind of a mate of mine. He went to do a course on fixing Washing Machines and Fridge Freezers. The bloke teaching the course had a very strong Yorkshire accent and pronounced Ohms as Orms. It took me a little while to understand what my mate was going on about and, despite me having done electronics in college for 2 years, he wouldn't believe me that he was pronouncing it incorrectly. And since he's never spoken to anyone else since who would know, as far as he's concerned they're called Orms and always will be.

This bloke has the idea that a low action is good and he doesn't care if he leaves it looking like it's been run over by a train to get it, it's in his head and that's it.