Why become a member? ×

Bass play - a pick or no pick?

Alex Nikitin

[quote name='Alex Nikitin' timestamp='1342611271' post='1737795']
[color=#000080]As for soundung itself, a decent effect pedal board or processor can turn a bass sound into any tone wanted.[/color]
[/quote]

I've never heard an effects pedal make a fingered bass sound convincingly like one played with a plectrum, or vice versa. It completely changes the envelope of the sound.

I don't buy in to the idea of one technique being more 'respected' than another. I respect great musicians who either excel at the style they are playing, or are capable of fitting comfortably into any musical situation in which they are placed - the latter is certainly what I would aspire to. A great bassist should be able to use his experience to decide which approach sounds better in the circumstances in which they are playing.

It's a change in tone, just like playing by the bridge or the neck, or twisting your tone knob up/down - just one in a long series of decisions, conscious and unconscious, that contribute to the end result. Some people choose one or the other and stick with it, but make it work for them, some people will prefer to master everything and apply what they feel is appropriate, but none are 'better' than the other.

If you sound good in the context of the song and the band then well done, you picked the right one. Someone else could make a different choice and still sound just as good, that's just the way it is.

[quote name='Alex Nikitin' timestamp='1342607743' post='1737683']
[b][color=#000080]Playing bass with a pick or fingers[/color][/b]

[color=#000080]which gives more groove? which shows you are more talented? which is more respected?[/color]
[/quote]

More groove - doesn't matter
More talented - doesn't matter
More respected - doesn't matter

This is a pointless, irrelevant and frankly bullshit debate tbh

Edited by D.I. Joe

I had a rehearsal on Monday evening and forgot my pick in my rush to leave the house. I was a bit worried that I would not be able to play the fast [b]one-ee-and-a-two-ee [/b]straight eights in AC DC's Overdose, with my fingers, but actually it was quite easy to do, and sounded much fuller too!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1342615955' post='1737907']
:lol:

No offence, but the original question is just plain stupid. Might as well ask what music is best to play or what colour bass to use.

Does anyone actually listen to music these days or are they too busy checking out the pick, the pups, the strings . . . . FFS!
[/quote]
[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1342622359' post='1738043']
More groove - doesn't matter
More talented - doesn't matter
More respected - doesn't matter

This is a pointless, irrelevant and frankly bullshit debate tbh
[/quote]Nothing like making a new member feel welcome :rolleyes:

You guys are clearly even more jaded than me :unsure:

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1342623399' post='1738078']
Nothing like making a new member feel welcome :rolleyes:

You guys are clearly even more jaded than me :unsure:
[/quote]

I'm with you on this one. It's frustrating getting asked the same questions all the time but it's a pet peeve of mine to see experienced board members point people in the direction of the 'search' function when it's obvious that the OP is just wanting to get some advice and is most likely unaware of how seriously we can take ourselves from time to time! Get over it boys, answer the question.

My (short) answer is to play with both, and to press home how unimportant it is that pick playing might well be seen as the less 'professional' way to do things. What a load of nonsense!

Edited by risingson

Apologies to the OP, because I realise sometimes these things need to be asked, but the answer is always going to be neither.

This whole nonsensical debate also tends to assume that there is one sound from a pick and one sound from fingers. This is totally not so.

Jame Jamerson does not sound like Jaco Pastorius.

JJ Burnell does not sound like Joe Osborne.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1342623969' post='1738094']
I'm with you on this one. It's frustrating getting asked the same questions all the time but it's a pet peeve of mine to see experienced board members point people in the direction of the 'search' function when it's obvious that the OP is just wanting to get some advice and is most likely unaware of how seriously we can take ourselves from time to time! Get over it boys, answer the question.

My (short) answer is to play with both, and to press home how unimportant it is that pick playing might well be seen as the less 'professional' way to do things. What a load of nonsense!
[/quote]

Amen. Although, in defence of some of the old curmudgeons, our young scallywag and latest member [i]did [/i]have his own opinion to hand. I don't think we enlightened him. Though he did offer to take us for a beer, so I instantly rate him higher than most of you ball bags :)

Apart from discreet. He's a class of one. Just one.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1342612337' post='1737823']
Picks can be just as expressive as fingers, horses **** horses and all that.
:)
[/quote]

Quite precisely.
Just look at all those rubbish and not-at-all influential plectrum players out there.... ;)
My take?
If it sounds good, it is good.
And I can't use a pick for toffee.... but have no issues with those who can.

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1342622359' post='1738043']
....This is a pointless, irrelevant and frankly bullshit debate tbh....
[/quote]

So which pile do we put your post in? Pointless, Irrelevant or Bullshit?

Sorry?!
What is going on here?
Someone asks a question, and people can actually be bothered to moan about the question being asked, rather than answer it/ give a relevant opinion?
If you can't say something nice/amusing/witty/informative, then why bother? (*off topic excluded :) )
Have you really got [i]that[/i] much time to kill...

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1342623399' post='1738078']
Nothing like making a new member feel welcome :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Whatever happened to the established netiquette of doing a little personal research about a subject before diving in and asking daft questions?

Given that the OP already had an opinion to hand, we may have fallen foul of that other well-established online tenet of not feeding the trolls.

But, since the sun is shining and I'm in a good mood, I'll concede I may have been a bit abrupt. T'was still a daft question though - no offence.

Pick for me - bit of FS at home, but just think I play better with a pick.

Understand the versatility, etc., but to me, I just bring what I bring to any band - my own style and sound.

We all play bass, but we are not all the same - put us in a room together and we've all got subtle differences in what we do.

Do what feels right, nobody is right or wrong! :D

I've never quite got the 'real bass players don't use picks' thing at all. I've had this conversation with Richard (Out To Play Jazz) before now. He's a great player and proficient on additional instruments other than bass but he's a firm 'fingers only' man. My main contention has always been 'Why deliberately restrict yourself'. I recall an interview with Bob Daisley where he mentioned that he got the gig with Rainbow in the mid 70's almost entirely on his ability to play fast and accurate with a pick because that sharp attack sound was specifically what Blackmore was after at that time.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1342627927' post='1738234']
Do what feels right, nobody is right or wrong! :D
[/quote]I would just add what sounds right too. I play primarily FS but I'll quickly change to using a pick it sounds better. I like both they have allure and place in bass playing. I slap too when required or I feel it fits, but not often in the big scheme of things. Learn every technique you can, whether you use it or not it'll still make you a better player IMO.

[quote name='Alex Nikitin' timestamp='1342627614' post='1738223']
[color=#000080]Fellaz thanks for warm welcoming [b]\\m//[/b][/color]

[color=#000080]Whoever still up for an extra cold b[/color][color=#000080]eer. This Friday Central London at [b][i]The Intrepid Fox 20:00[/i][/b][/color]

[color=#000080]The subject is closed[/color]!
[/quote]

See. I f***ing told you I liked this new kid :)

[quote name='Alex Nikitin' timestamp='1342607743' post='1737683']
[b][color=#000080]Playing bass with a pick or fingers[/color][/b]

[color=#000080]which gives more groove? which shows you are more talented? which is more respected?[/color]
[/quote]

You can groove with both techniques.
Talent has nothing got to do with it, you can be equally as bad with either technique, talent comes from practicing every aspect of the instrument.
Respect? Theres plenty of fine bassists who get slammed because of many other reasons so I wouldnt even worry about that one.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1342628742' post='1738261']
I remember Lemmy being slagged for playing chords - but he's managed to get along.
[/quote]

Did he? I'm young you see and wouldn't have been aware of this :)

Odd though considering chords is all so very....something or other...oh you know...not fashionable but sort of in? Isn't it?

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1342628942' post='1738265']
Did he? I'm young you see and wouldn't have been aware of this :)

Odd though considering chords is all so very....something or other...oh you know...not fashionable but sort of in? Isn't it?
[/quote]

Ah you see, I'm an old sod, my first (Motorhead) gig was around 1978 (poss even '77). They were likened to a loud punk band then.
A' t' Bold Street Workingmen's Club, Accrington, 'n we all 'ad kippers f' tea.

[quote name='Alex Nikitin' timestamp='1342627614' post='1738223']
[color=#000080]Fellaz thanks for warm welcoming [b]\\m//[/b][/color]

[color=#000080]Whoever still up for an extra cold b[/color][color=#000080]eer. This Friday Central London at [b][i]The Intrepid Fox 20:00[/i][/b][/color]

[color=#000080]The subject is closed[/color]!
[/quote]

If I lived in London I'd happily join you (assuming that I'm welcome after my last post on this thread :unsure: )

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be a callous ballbag, nor did I notice that you are a new member so, firstly, welcome to Basschat! :)

In my (now even more) humble opinion, it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things as to which way you pluck the strings. As long as you are playing to complement the music then you are doing it right. It doesn't matter whether you do one or the other but if you can do both and apply each to their optimum then all the better for it! I use both and do whichever I feel most complements the music I am playing.

Sorry if I came across a tit, it really wasn't my intention.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1342629137' post='1738269']
Ah you see, I'm an old sod, my first (Motorhead) gig was around 1978 (poss even '77). They were likened to a loud punk band then.
A' t' Bold Street Workingmen's Club, Accrington, 'n we all 'ad kippers f' tea.
[/quote]

Well...I'm not that young really, but I was only 5 in '78 so I probably wouldn't have been allowed in t' Bold Street Workingmen's Club, Accrington. :)