Why become a member? ×

What Value is your pub gig rig ?

essexbasscat

Following on from the other one flying around here about 'What Value is your pub gig bass' ? I thought I'd ask the same question about rigs, y'know all the stuff you use for the backline.

Many of us use an amp and head, or combo, DI's etc, but some of this stuff can still mount up at the cash till.

Me, I used a Peavey 2 x 12 for years from new. It looks like it's done a tour of Afganistan since then, well and truly dog -eared. Probably worth less than £50.00 now.
More recently, it's been an Aguilar GS112 and a Peavey MKIV head. All up probably less than £400, but it's reliable and always does the job.

What about you ?

Edited by essexbasscat

Are we meant to have more than one rig? I have 'a' rig. It's an EBs Reidmar and a Gallien Krueger 14" cab with a tweeter in it. It cost me £400 for the head and £300 for the cab. I would just use that for everything I think.. Maybe at some point I could get some of those small EBS cabs for smaller gigs, or I could just turn it down and save £600!!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1342197439' post='1731493']
I think you might have set the upper limit a bit low. Two decent quality lightweight cabs will have you pushing £1000, before you even look at amps, pedals, tuners, DI boxes etc.
[/quote]

Good point about the cost of two cabs ! The upper limit is over £1000 though at the mo. I'll add another one ;)

Cheap basses, expensive backline.

It's much easier to knock a chunk off something if it's strapped round my neck, than something tucked away safely at the back of the stage!

EDIT: never actually worked out how much my rig cost me! A lot of it was bought new... I shall report back...

...just shy of £3000, and that's including my three basses :lol:

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1342200941' post='1731610']
Is that retail or 2nd hand cost?
[/quote]

I'm not sure either.
Does it mean "worth" as in, what it cost to purchase, or real "worth" meaning what it would cost to replace/ the price you would get if you sold it?

I wonder if the people that have £1000+ rigs sound better than the ones that don't? With my £500 rig I can play anywhere and sound great. Is it essential to spend more than double that? Not trying to pick a fight, I'm just curious as to the benefits of a £1000+ rig.

Mine's reasonably light and compact and I have a good DI and compressor built in to the PF-500. I've upgraded the driver (dont worry, included in the rig value) so I can use it on its own for big pubs and the ME-20b is all I need for pub covers.

Truckstop

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1342200941' post='1731610']
Is that retail or 2nd hand cost?
[/quote]

Going by t'other thread (what's the value of your pub gig bass ?), people seem to post either or both. I guess that means it's your discretion :)

I can't say why people spend their amount of money on their rigs as there is no accounting for someone's taste in sound but whatever you spend better sound good. If you think that is achieved with a cheap bass with dusty strings into a 15" combo then good luck. To make that work will take more that just the kit but by the same token spending loads guarantees you nothing either. There can be huge variation in what people expect to get out the way they use their set-up. People can awfully confused about sound and playability and EQ.

I usually use my MB Fusion and two NEO212s, I also have a 2001RB-II and two 410RBHs that I am far too lazy to gig but wouldn't hesitate if someone else was carrying :D First is probably just shy of £1500 new (street prices, RRP is more), second is probably getting on for £3000 to buy new, I've not seen the prices in a while.

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1342195088' post='1731424']
I use my rack mounted Aguilar DB680 preamp, powered by a Chevin ProControl 1200, Korg rack tuner, feeding in to an Aguilar DB410 cab
[/quote]

Confirms what I've suspected for years

All the good valve gear ends up in Scotland....

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1342261386' post='1732426']
I wonder if the people that have £1000+ rigs sound better than the ones that don't? With my £500 rig I can play anywhere and sound great. Is it essential to spend more than double that? Not trying to pick a fight, I'm just curious as to the benefits of a £1000+ rig.

Mine's reasonably light and compact and I have a good DI and compressor built in to the PF-500. I've upgraded the driver (dont worry, included in the rig value) so I can use it on its own for big pubs and the ME-20b is all I need for pub covers.

Truckstop
[/quote]

Probably not Alex, my rig is now just more convenient for lifting/versatility, but in reality, I just get the one sound I like, and stick with it. I probably don`t sound that much different from when I had a 50lb Marshall head, and 110llb Marshall cab.