Why become a member? ×

Barefaced vs Berg NV610/other 6x10s

ben604

I'm looking for a new big silly cab and I've liked the two 6x10s I've had (a Genz and a Markbass) so I thought I'd try another, namely the Berg NV610 as they seem to be the best regarded.

For the price of a used Berg, which is unlikely to surface any time soon, I could buy a new Barefaced cab.

How would they compare? Will a Super12 give me the power and bottom end of an NV610 or am I comparing apples to oranges.

I know there's a lot of love for Barefaced cabs on here, but I want a really objective, real world opinion if I could!

Cheers,
Ben

I believe the NV610 will be louder than a Super 12, but not a lot a louder. In terms of sound, I never used the Berg. The only 6x10 I ever used was an Ampeg and I thought it was great. By what I heard the Berg should be even better. No doubt it's an awesome cab.

The question is... Do you[b] really[/b] need a 6x10? What kind of stages are you playing? I've been playing a lot with my Super 12 since I got it in the beginning of March. Big pubs (300 people, more or less) marquees (where you always end up playing louder, 'cause there's normally no natural reverb) a big club (The Venue, in New Cross. Only time I ever used PA support, and to be honest, could have done without it). For all those gigs I've been using my Ashdown 550 Spyder and my Super 12 and it's more than enough for me in terms of volume and tone. The Ashdown it's not even the most powerful amp out there, but when paired to the Super 12 it's loud enough for anywhere but arenas and stadiums.

I'm pretty sure the Super 12 it's going to be more than good enough for most bass players 99.9% of the time. And it's so easy to transport... I just can get over it. It puts a smile on my face every time I need to pick it up. I owned all sorts of cabinets since I began to play some 20 years ago. 1x15's, 2x10's, 4x10's, 8x10's, 2x12's and even a 2x15 + 2x10, which is a monster that's impossible to lift on your own. We're talking about Aguilar, Ashdown, Ampeg, Orange, Epifani and Marshall. All great cabs, but since I got the Super 12 I'm not looking back. I'm sure you're gonna love it.

What amp are you planning to use with it, by the way?

Difficult to say on this Ben, as I`ve no experience of either cabs specified.

I had a Barefaced Compact & Midget set-up, and was very pleased with it, however I find that my Schroeder 410 (and the 21012 I had previously) beat it - but this is for my requirements, others may have heard both and liked the BF best.

But, I`ve historically been a multiple speakers bassist (410s, or 410s and 210s together), and just prefer lots of cones generating the sound - and possibly you may be the same going form your question.

I suppose what I`m getting at here is, it`s going to be your ears that make the choice, however I haven`t seen a bad word about the Super12s, and having owned BF cabs, I can`t see you being unsatisfied.

I've got an Ampeg SVT6Pro. I've only just got it, but I've had the gain just clipping and the master on 7-8 to get enough volume out of my Matamp 4x10 (8-ohm) playing medium sized pubs, to maybe 100 people.

They're notoriously underpowered apparently. I figured a 6x10 will resolve most of my issues and I've always liked them in the past.

Hi mate, the Bergantino NV610 is an incredible cab, really punchy, and really blasts out what you put into it without alot of colouration of the tone. I recently sold mine however and I've got a Super Twelve arriving this week or next week. I just didnt see the need for such a big cab. It weighs in at around 46kg and getting it up and down the narrow staircase of a terraced house every time I had a gig was what made me sell it. I have yet to try a Super Twelve but from what I've read it should be more than loud enough for any of the gigs I'm likely to do at this point in time.
If you dont mind the weight and lugging a 610 around, then by all means, get the Berg, its quality. But the super 12 would definately make life easier, and still be more than loud enough.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your S12 Eddie, what happened to your Agguilar amp? I'm still loving the Traynor :P

Edited by Johnnyc
  • Like 1

[quote name='ben604' timestamp='1341315801' post='1716771']
I've got an Ampeg SVT6Pro. I've only just got it, but I've had the gain just clipping and the master on 7-8 to get enough volume out of my Matamp 4x10 (8-ohm) playing medium sized pubs, to maybe 100 people.

They're notoriously underpowered apparently. I figured a 6x10 will resolve most of my issues and I've always liked them in the past.
[/quote]

I always thought the SVT6 had monstrous power... Is it not 750 watts @ 8 ohms? Have a look at the Barefaced website and check the Super 12 page. There's some good info there. Or, even better. Just cut and paste your original topic and forward it to Alex at Barefaced. He'll be able to help you with what you're looking for. On the other hand, if you don't mind the weigh lifting and don't have to deal with staircases for loading in and out of venues, just get the Berg. :P

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1341316943' post='1716821']
I always thought the SVT6 had monstrous power... Is it not 750 watts @ 8 ohms?
[/quote]

its meant to be 1000w at 4 ohms, but ampeg have lie'd its not that loud, it is loud but my old db750 was much louder and that was 750w at 4 ohms i know its all down to thinking it louder but i reckon the pegs about 700ish at 4 ohms?

andy

[size=4]My rig - 600W at 8[font=arial, sans-serif]Ω is stupidly loud with my BF Big One. I've no idea how loud it gets, I've never been there. I do know it goes louder than uncomfortably ****ing loud as that's where I've taken it before backing off. And that's with mids and highs rolled off. It scares me a bit...[/font] :o[font=arial, sans-serif] :lol: Makes the head (prob about 13kg all in all) jump around on top quite easily. Has to be turned right down to play with an unmic'd drumkit. [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Now my old rig, 600W @ 4[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]Ω into a Schroeder 1212L was nowhere near as mind-boggling loud. Probably as I used to EQ too many mids out and that's where the 1212L lives. [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Ampeg stuff has that pronounced low-mid hump, so cabs will stand more of a chance of sounding good if that's what they're good at. [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Best thing about the Big One as far as I'm concerned is that it's full range, so this becomes less of a consideration. The Super 12 is similar isn't it? I think the Bergs are too?[/font][/size]

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1341340734' post='1717415']
[size=4][font=arial, sans-serif] The Super 12 is similar isn't it? I think the Bergs are too?[/font][/size]
[/quote]

I think the Berg NV's are tweeterless and very much not full range. Very much "old school" tones.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1341346112' post='1717554']
I think the Berg NV's are tweeterless and very much not full range. Very much "old school" tones.
[/quote]

Ah, well there you go. Not sure that would have any bearing on SVT voicing though, they're flat in the range they do aren't they?

I wasn't mad on an SVT-IIP Schroeder 1212L combination, humps in different places I reckon. Played havoc with room acoustics and tone control.

My previous Barefaced Big one with Peavey Tour 700.... loud, very loud. Now with Barefaced Dubster I can make walls shake in hall with 1000+ bodies. Can also make the concrete floor vibrate 2 or 3 m away from speaker. Seems adequate, but the Crown XTi 4000 is calling :) As an afterthought, the tone is superb with any bass I have used so far.

Edited by 3below

Another +1 for the Ampeg 610... A truly awesome cab. Sealed and ported for your pleasure! Not the lightest in the world but easy to shift about IMO with the rollbar on the back and wheels. Ampeg amps love Ampeg cabs :)

Edited by Stag

I have serious doubts a 2x12 can get close to a good 410 so if the Berg NV is any good at all... And I use Berg cabs so know they are all round quality.... I think people are dreaming to compare the two. If you don' t have weight and carry in the equation then I can' t see why you would even ask the question.

You need to like Berg as they tend to be clean.... as do most quality 410's... And have a reputation for being unforgiving on less than spot on playing.. Which is why, IMO, 12's are liked, for example...... lol....
But if you can get on with them, then no brainer, IMO.

I don't see the logic in buying a quality cab for just 6 months, so I’d suggest you stick with what you’ve got. But it sounds like you’ve already sold that cab, so, as ordering a Barefaced is going to take some of your 6 months, and if you need a cab by Sunday, you’ve got to go with the HS410.

I haven’t used one but the HS410 gets very good reviews and player experiences over on Talkbass. Apparently it can go as loud as you like and has great tone. I don’t think you’ll miss either of your other choices.

• Like 1

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1341405204' post='1718385']
I don't see the logic in buying a quality cab for just 6 months, so I’d suggest you stick with what you’ve got. But it sounds like you’ve already sold that cab, so, as ordering a Barefaced is going to take some of your 6 months, and if you need a cab by Sunday, you’ve got to go with the HS410.

I haven’t used one but the HS410 gets very good reviews and player experiences over on Talkbass. Apparently it can go as loud as you like and has great tone. I don’t think you’ll miss either of your other choices.
[/quote]

I know what you're saying, it's one of those irrational gear things. I like swapping gear at the best of times, but as I've only got 6 months left, I might as well go a bit over indulgent!

I bought JohnnyC's NV610 a few months back. Having lived with it and gigged it during this period (I think 10 or 11 gigs) I can honestly say that the sound makes up for the fact it is a bit heavier than you would ideally want. 100lbs is not overly heavy (although I am quite a strong lad) and the size is perfect. Really easy to move and I find it is not really any more hassle than the 2 GK cabs I used to carry (yes they are lighter, but also 2 cabs vs 1).

As for the sound: I had only used an NV610 once before and bought one off the forum based on that + the good reviews and I am not disappointed. What a cracker!

I am sure Barefaced Cabs are great (never owned one) and if they did a 610 it would be awesome, but Ampeg, Markbass, Ashdown etc etc do not even come close to the Berg. Not close at all.... that is how good the Berg is.

The NV412 is also really good, and I believe there may be one on sale on the forum still. DO IT!!!

I have been using a Super Twelve for a while now, and it's phenomenal. I have also used an Ampeg 8X10 in the past which has always been my favourite up to now - but the S12 can easily handle the 1100W amp I'm using with it. This cab can stand serious power without stress and produces some very serious SPLs.

It very easily outclasses every 4X10 I've ever used. If big old skool power and sound are your thing, then go for it. It's small, light as a feather and sounds really fantastic. Not cheap, but I would have no hesitation. :D My 2p!

Edited by discreet