Why become a member? ×

Strange audition

gub

We auditioned a poss 2nd guitarist last night and was the strangest experience! , we had sent him the Set list a while ago , all pretty standard rock covers ( you know the score ) then we would ask him if he was ok to have a run through this song and he would say yes and then we would do the whole song start to Finnish without him playing a note !! And would look at the floor , 1st time it happened we didn't really say anything about it as we were all a bit of loss as what to say but then the 2 songs later he was doing the same , we managed to get out of him that he didn't play as he would just play same as the other guitar player so didn't play ! Any way we ended up cutting it short and he left without a goodbye or anything ! Very strange

Plausible I suppose. We have 2 guitarists, and they take it in turns to do solo's, but work out parts on songs that were'nt specificaly written for two guitars so they are playing two complimentary parts. Maybe he was perfectly proficient but felt outclassed by your current guitarist.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1340731417' post='1708834']
...we gave the guy two months to start learning tunes from CDs , the first time he played with us his sat there doing nothing... "Er can you write me out a chord chart?"[/quote]

I just don't get it, what was he thinking? Would anyone here turn up for an audition without learning the audition tracks backwards and forwards and expect to be taken seriously?? :blink:

This isn't really all that strange. A stranger audition would have been if your drummer had gotten out from behind his kit/escape his cage, walked into the middle of the space and said: [i]Go on then, son, get yer cock out.[/i]

Really f***ing strange, as we all know drummers are incapable of forming structurally sound sentences. Am I right?

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1340733592' post='1708894']
A stranger audition would have been if your drummer had gotten out from behind his kit/escape his cage, walked into the middle of the space and said: [i]Go on then, son, get yer cock out.[/i]
[/quote]

Is that not normal then? :blink:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1340736415' post='1708967']
There's probably a chap posting on Guitarchat right now about this strange audition he went to where the band thought they needed a second guitarist, but when they played there was no room in the arrangement for him to add a second guitar part...
[/quote]
almost exactly what once happened to my brother, went to an audition as lead guitarist, the band blasted through several songs leaving no gaps for him to fill.

Had an awkward rehearsal with a guy who said he was into and could play all the stuff in our set. I though things were looking good when he whipped out his vintage
Gibson, unfortunately the only song he could play was a shaky version of All right now. Pretty bloody annoying and fairly awkward when we asked him to leave ater
twenty minutes.

Still the one song he could play was better than the drummer we auditioned who couldn't actually play at all. He really couldn't and I'm not convinced he'd ever
actually sat at a drum kit before. Christ knows who was playing on the tape he gave us but it certainly wasn't him. He also brought along his other half, presumably
to impress her with his drumming prowess. He walked out in a sulk when our guitarist took the sticks off and tried to show him how to keep a beat in4/4 time :D .

We had an audition like that, the guy sent us mp3s of his playing, kind of Petrucci/Malmsteen widdly widdly. He had a couple of weeks ot learn three of our tunes which weren't really hard at all. Apart from having so much reverb on that he sounded like he was playing from the bottom of a very deep cave, he just couldn't play. He clearly wasn't the fella on the mp3. When we went through one of our tunes he played the intro riff (very badly) and kept playing it all the way through the verse and chorus, at which point the drummer had to stop after dissolving into a fit of giggles.

There are a lot of crazy people out there.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1340745114' post='1709145']
Strike one... :angry:
[/quote]

Have a nice day :)

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1340748624' post='1709228']
You promised it would be our little secret and you'd never tell anybody about that... :o
[/quote]

What't this [i]little [/i]business? I thought we both agreed it was the biggest secret ;)