Why become a member? ×

Blues bass

Simon.

Hi there,

Over the years, I've enjoyed listening to a fair amount of blues, but rarely dabbled in playing it. However, in my continuous quest to educate myself, it's an area I fancy looking at, but feel at a bit of a loss as to where to start! The kind of stuff I'm listening to at the moment is SRV, the new Walter Trout album, Joe Bonamassa, but so much stuff comes across as a poor excuse for a guitarist to masturbate himself in public.

So, who would you recommend listening too, and more importantly, who are the blues bass players out there, doing interesting work?

Cheers,

Simon.

Derek Trucks (Oteil Burbridge), Robin Ford (Roscoe Beck) Fabulous Thunderbirds (Keith Ferguson and Preston Hubbard)......
Do not listen to [i]"SRV, the new Walter Trout album, Joe Bonamassa[/i]" and even worse Gary Moore - as you say, w*nkers all!

Edited by Jazzneck

'The blues' covers quite a wide range of differing styles and feels. There's a whole lot more than just electic guitar based blues.
Any of the artists mentioned above are worth a listen and the bass-playing worth a study (especially Ian Siegal's band, a personal favourite of mine). Whatever you may think of say, SRV, his bass player (Tommy Lee Shannon) is a class act.

Anyway, here are two other things I heartily recommend.

The 'Blues Bass' book by Ed Freidland. Includes a cd. Covers all the main progressions, turn-arounds, riffs etc.

Listening to the Paul Jones show, Radio2 7pm-8pm on Mondays. Or on BBC Play-again.

Last tip. Less is more.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1340211595' post='1701189']
'The blues' covers quite a wide range of differing styles and feels.
.......his bass player (Tommy Lee Shannon) is a class act.

Last tip. Less is more.
[/quote]

Sorry Len, I agree re: Tommy Lee Shannon.

+10G for your last tip.
Space and more space is your friend.

I'd suggest the blues is all about the singer. Most of the guitar playing blues players are primarily singers.

I'd listen to BB King, Luck Peterson, Taj Mahal, Kenny Neal, Sherman Robertson, Bobby Bland, Etta James and anything on Chess Records.

I may have got the wrong end of the stick in that you inferred that you had listened to a lot of the older blues.
If you haven't then all of like wot I said before plus:
All Chess and Checker stuff
All of the Louisiana / New Orleans stuff through the 1950s/60s (Dr. John etc.)
BB King - Blues is King album (Live recording with Louis Satterfield on bass)
And you probably won't believe me, but John McVie when he was with John Mayall ("Beano" album with Eric Clapton) and the Peter Green era of Fleetwood Mac.
Duck Dunn too, of course

Edited by Jazzneck

For something a bit different to the blues-rock you mention, try some West Coast Blues. Hollywood Fats' "Rock this House" album is a good starting point along with stuff by James Harman, William Clarke, Kim Wilson & Rod Piazza. I play DB in a band that does a lot of this stuff and it's great fun to play.

Sonny Boy Williamson is an old-school blues man who did some interesting songs that weren't all the usual 12 bar pattern.

As has been said, blues covers a load of different styles and it's fun exploring.

Stevie Ray Vaughan being described as a "w***er" ....Jeez ! I'm not referring the the OP's first post btw.
Very sad state of affairs and in a thread about Blues.
Anyway.......
Tommy Shannon, the guy's a legend, to me at least.
Carl Radle for a nice simple and "groovy" approach to the Blues Bass
Benny Turner with Freddie King, Blues Bass with a pick.
Some to listen too,
Freddie King, Albert Collins, Jeff Healey, Robert Cray, The John Mayer Trio, Susan Tedeschi & Derek Trucks, Bill Perry, Bernard Allison, Chris Cain, Oli Brown.
You'll find some excellent material in that lot.

Stick with SRV dude, they don't come much better if at all.
B)

[quote name='foal30' timestamp='1340271039' post='1701905']
Jerry Jemmott.

his work with B.B.King remains the high water mark for Blues Bass playing
"Completely Well" is my pick for his recordings with King.
if you cannot feel this music there is a problem.
[/quote]

Foal30 speaks the truth. I'd also highly recommend "Live and Well", where JJ plays on the latter studio recorded part of the album. Stupendous playing.

Thanks for the input folks - lots to get started on!

I like a lot of Jerry Jermont's work on the soul and RnB side of things, but hadn’t realised he had worked with BB King as well. Will check that out. I know some of John Mayer's work as well - mainly through his having Pino in the band. Jeff Healey is another of those "I like what I've heard, but haven't heard all that much" guys. Mainly I'm trying to find ways of keeping things interesting and not getting stuck in a 12-bar, root-3-5, repetition.

Eddie Martin is a guy I know as well and like, albeit I haven't listened to him for a while. I have quite a funny story about him as well: Many moons ago he was playing at the Edinburgh Jazz & Blues Festival, where I was working as the stage manager. He was doing a great set with the Texas Blues Kings as his rhythm section when he broke a string. I volunteered to change said string while he did a harmonica-only number. String was duly changed, re-tuned and everything looked OK. The drummer was watching me and clocked that the guitar was good to go, so as soon as I handed it back to Eddie, the drummer started the count-in to the next number... Eddie had no choice but to go for the opening chord without being able to check the guitar & you could see him wincing, expecting it to be out of tune! :ph34r: Guitar was fine, and the transition from a look of expectant-terror to pleasant-surprise was great to watch. The drummer & I were in peals of laughter. :lol: