Why become a member? ×

Blues bass

Simon.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1340301496' post='1702628']

Well a -1 from me, which makes +1 :)
For me, the Ed Freidland book is alright for real newcomers to the blues but is just a bit too basic - tell me something that I don't already know!

Not necessarily - feel is everything but sometimes more actually is more! The trouble with playing a simple type of music like blues is that it can get a touch boring if you're not careful and sometimes a bit of flash can be very welcome

General rule of thumb: early Bonamassa = good; recent Bonamassa = boring!
I’m afraid that no one can churn out that number of records and maintain any sort of quality control

For those who don’t like blues with lots of lead guitar – I’m afraid that a large part of the blues market in Britain (& Europe) is for SRV, Rory Gallagher, Bonamassa, etc, basically guitar led stuff

Try listening to Henrik Freischlader, King King, Ben Poole – loads of great new blues acts around!
[/quote]

I saw Ben Poole last night. I get a bit blasé about hotshot guitarist blues bands but Ben is pure class. He built on perfect timing and awesome technique to simply blow me away. An unexpected treat.

If it is blues rock type thing, then i don`t think you can get much better than Ten Years After. I like Gary Moore, Joe Bonamassa, but neither in my opinion are a match for Alvin Lee. Just watching Leo Lyons on the bass is enough to make you tired.If it is real blues, then there are hundreds of great exponents. Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker amongst the better known. Alexis Korner and Lightnin Hopkins. So many to mention

Edited by timmo

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1429861947' post='2755580']

I saw Ben Poole last night. I get a bit blasé about hotshot guitarist blues bands but Ben is pure class. He built on perfect timing and awesome technique to simply blow me away. An unexpected treat.
[/quote]
Yea, BP has a bit of fire about his playing that helps to make him stand out from the crowd. I know his old bass player, Baz Pethers, who is a great player and a nice guy.

I take back what I said about Bonamassa a bit as well - his last couple of albums have been great...

For an easy in, modern blues players like Gary Clark Jr. and John Mayer are a great place to start. Blues isn't a difficult genre to play, but it is difficult to truly master. Tasteful playing is the order of the day. I'd be learning as much of the John Mayer Trio as possible, Pino Palladino is one of the best players alive today and he's not limited in the styles he plays, so you're gonna find some cool approaches to his playing that a dedicated/primarily blues player might not have.

Don't over think your lines and REALLY, REALLY work on your feel!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1340365544' post='1703351']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHHBl8cz7eY[/media]
[/quote]
Really really like that. Wasn't aware of what Roscoe Beck did before seeing that - embarrassingly only really knew the name from the Fender endorsement.

It sounds like they've based it around All Blues by Miles Davis and really done it justice.

I'm now a Roscoe Beck fan (though I did catch another clip of him playing a 6-string bass which wasn't my cup of tea at all!)..

For some of the best of Roscoe listen to the 4 or 5 Robben Ford and the Blue Line CD's. IMO required listening for serious bass players.

Last I saw Roscoe Beck was MD to Leonard Cohen.

There are several YouTube vids of Roscoe Beck playing at NAMM shows. Usually with with Greg Koch. I like the line up with Malford Milligan on vocals.

Thanks Chris, really appreciate that. I'm now a Greg Koch fan! Some of the things he's doing with that Tele are fabulous.

From that link I found a NAMM 2012 trio gig with Roscoe Beck, Greg Koch and Greg Koch's son playing drums (seventeen at the time with just a bass drum, hi-hat and snare).

Such great/tasteful playing.. Really inspiring stuff.