Why become a member? ×

You are a real musician when...

Silvia Bluejay

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1339688896' post='1692784']
You go see a band and spend the whole set studying the musician who plays the same instrument as you.

You physically wince when you hear a musician play a "wrong" note while nobody around you notices
[/quote]
True.. so so true...lol

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1339675595' post='1692441']
... when practising at home on a Penderecki piece that he's gonna conduct himself, you teach yourself two versions: the real one and one a fifth higher or lower, just to test if he'll hear it. (Yes, true story again)

PS, he does. I [b]know[/b].

[/quote]

Really? I love Penderecki's stuff!

I'm not a real musician (one day maybe) but our living room now has 3 amps, a bass guitar, an electric guitar and the coffee table is FULL of music books. To me, it's looking great :) but visitors aren't so impressed :P and my cleaner (again proof I'm not a real musician :P ) is petrified of the kit ;)

[list=1]
[*]When you can turn round and say a tune sound great has it its and will sound better without my contribution.
[*]When you stop using the phrase, Artistic Integrity.
[*]When you no longer need to slag of other players or types of music.
[*]When you work with a comedian and never so much as raise a smile but the moment the drummer farts you are in hysterics
[/list]

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1339697707' post='1692991']Really?[/quote]

Yup, it was an acquaintance of mine who did it, against my advice, as I already knew Penderecki always hears it.
And indeed, Penderecki exploded into this guy's face.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1339697707' post='1692991']I love Penderecki's stuff![/quote]

Great! Me too. Started in '70 or so, when our teacher played the LP of Threnos (iirc) in the classroom.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1339604641' post='1691353']
...you pretend to like all types of music and refuse to give an opinion on a recent pop record preferring instead to make a non-committal remark on the production standards.

Fiancée: "Tinie Tempah's amazing"
Me: "yeah, I really enjoy his syncopated vocal style and I like the drum volume."

Truckstop
[/quote]

Yay! I do this :lol:

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1339606538' post='1691412']
You've made a [s]temporary[/s] [b]permanent[/b] repair to [s]clothing[/s] [b]your car[/b] with gaffer tape.
[/quote]

Yep thats more like it!

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1339667390' post='1692170']
When your biggest concern whilst re-arranging your bedroom, is the storage location of cases, and where you're going to put your stand. So far i still haven't got it fully worked out.

Liam
[/quote]
Precisely,not forgetting the Basses-I have one on a hanger next to the bed so I can have a quick practise without getting up :D

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1339738462' post='1693451']
Jeeves is very happy when he's handing me effects pedals on silver plates or velvet cushions :P
[/quote]

Velvet cushions are so passé, dearheart. I have mine brought in on the backs of the working class - but only the clean ones.

If I can't find a suitable oik to deliver my bass playing accoutrement then I'll just have my man drive me round to my club, where my chums and I will squander our privileged and elitist lives on champagne and opiates.

It's all so tiresome.

ok, non-funny one here;

When I was in a recent noisy rock band the drummer didn't learn a new song for a rehearsal and so ducking toys being thrown about by the band leader he sat down for half an hour, scored the drum part and played it by sight during the rehearsal.

Similarly, last night, our band accompanied a youth choir with some original and old soul tunes, turned out to be an event for the whole community with some 12-14 other acts (our sound man pulling his hair out all evening). One was a flautist who plopped the music for the piano accompaniment in front of our keyboard player. To his credit he ran through it with her and accompanied her perfectly for the performance. This thread came to mind.

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1339760976' post='1693851']
Loving this thread.

[b]...when your 3 year old son sings the bass lines of your set list rather than nursery rhymes.[/b]
[/quote]

Ha, yes, remember playing a setlist on th hifi over and over at home for a few weeks each evening during meal, bathtimes etc, went on a car journey and my cute little girl started singing sex & drugs & rocknroll word for word all the way