Why become a member? ×

Any difference between two 4x10's vs. 8x10?

ashevans09

Heya,

What it says on the tin really.

For a while now my gigging rig has been my Matamp 410 with my Mesa, and I love it. However, with some equipment shares I've ended up playing my head through a load of 810s, namely the Ampeg ones and I've got to say, it sounds amazing. Nothing feels or sounds like 8 ten inch speakers blasting out behind you!

Bit of a problem though - I can't really transport an 810 around in my little Fiat panda! There's not enough length between the back of the driver's seat and the boot. That said, I reckon I could get two 410s side by side. So! Basically, would there be any discernible difference in sound if I just got another matamp? Or would a 610 be a decent compromise?

Thanks for any input

Ash

The Ampeg 810 is an infinite baffle, doesn't have a port. That emphasises the mids in a way the ported cabs don't. They pump out more low frequencies.

Since you are probably not going to drive to gigs with the cab hanging out of the back of the car I'd look at the Ampeg 610 that's in the FS section. Ampeg seem to get their "house sound" pretty consistent across their products so even 2 Ampeg 410's would sound pretty good.

Barefaced is threatening to come up with an 810 killer, in Neo with the same tone as the original Ampeg. I'd like to hear one of those.

Hmmm, not had an 810, though played through a few, and thought they were great. What I have had is a couple of setups comprising 410 & 210, and these have been very good - the extra cab both adding depth, and importantly, height. My fave one of these setups was Ampeg.

So a 610 will be good, and if you can manage it on your own, a good option, however if you like the Matamp 410, another would give you the setup required for gigs, and the convenience of a single 410 for rehearsals.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1339517202' post='1689731'] The Ampeg 810 is an infinite baffle, doesn't have a port. That emphasises the mids in a way the ported cabs don't. They pump out more low frequencies. Since you are probably not going to drive to gigs with the cab hanging out of the back of the car I'd look at the Ampeg 610 that's in the FS section. Ampeg seem to get their "house sound" pretty consistent across their products so even 2 Ampeg 410's would sound pretty good. Barefaced is threatening to come up with an 810 killer, in Neo with the same tone as the original Ampeg. I'd like to hear one of those. [/quote]

That sounds beastly! Would love to have a look at that! And yep that's the reason I had my Matamp non-ported :) prefer the tone. Was thinking of adding a second non ported matamp.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1339517379' post='1689738'] Hmmm, not had an 810, though played through a few, and thought they were great. What I have had is a couple of setups comprising 410 & 210, and these have been very good - the extra cab both adding depth, and importantly, height. My fave one of these setups was Ampeg. So a 610 will be good, and if you can manage it on your own, a good option, however if you like the Matamp 410, another would give you the setup required for gigs, and the convenience of a single 410 for rehearsals. [/quote]

Of course there's always the option of a Matamp 610... :D . But thanks for your input. Leaning towards getting a second 410 tbh. Really love the look of 810s though.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1339517202' post='1689731']
Since you are probably not going to drive to gigs with the cab hanging out of the back of the car I'd look at the Ampeg 610 that's in the FS section. Ampeg seem to get their "house sound" pretty consistent across their products so even 2 Ampeg 410's would sound pretty good.

Barefaced is threatening to come up with an 810 killer, in Neo with the same tone as the original Ampeg. I'd like to hear one of those.
[/quote]

True, I have a smaller the smaller 806 and it sound like a tiny 8x10 only I wouldn't recommend it for serious giiging.

And I don't think the barefaced '69er uses neo drivers. I think it uses ferrite or something, the weight loss is in the cabinet design. The classic 610 from Markbass only weighs 30kgs IIRC.

Used a Carvin 8x10 for years and love it but it did get a bit tatty so while I renovated it I used 2 Ashdown Mag Deep 4x10s and there was no difference in sound that I could hear in a live situation. The 8x10 is however much easier to move around but not to lift on your own.

The Ampeg SVT610HLF is a great cab, but quite different from the 810 - it doesn't share the 'infinite baffle' construction, and has a port designed to kick out some big bottom end. Will have more prominent lows than the 810 but lacks the mid hump that defines that tone.

It is a great cab in its own right though, and is a nice compromise on size/portability, so certainly worth trying out.

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1339624675' post='1691800']
dnt fancy a 610 then chris do yah?

;-)

andy
[/quote]

I've actually borrowed an Ampeg 6x10 before. While it's an awesome cab, it just didnt hit the spot like my Markbass 4x10. Sorry dude!

Matamp 6x10 sounds very different to the Matamp 4x10 and 8x10.

I'd say there isn't a massive difference between a Matamp 8x10 and 2 4x10's but I'd also recommend checking out their cross over'd 1x18 that pairs with the 4x10 perfectly.

If you're ever in the area Ash you can come compare my 8x10 to my 4x10 and your 4x10 (though my 4x10 is ported)

I'd say that differences between most 410's and 810's will be pretty small.

The bass player will notice, the drummer might, the rest of the band probably won't and as for the audience!! "Which one's the bass player?"

I'd go with a modular setup, every time.