Why become a member? ×

Which UK custom bass builder?

andydye

I'm beginning to seriously consider having a bass built for me by a UK builder, I really like the look (and sound) of some of the custom jobbies that I've seen around here, I like Shuker and I love the look of ACG, I could get much the same sort of thing from either but it's difficult to know who to approach if you've never met any of their work in person...

I daresay there are folks on here who've had experience of the build process; communications; build quality; playability; sound quality; value for money etc from each of the many UK builders out there...I've listed the 3 that came quickly to mind...my current favourite would be ACG but I've never met one so can only go on the pictures and enthusiasm folks have for them...

opinions please...(removes lid from worms can and walks away...)

I think a large part of a custom build comes down to your relationship with the person building it for you. I'm sure all of these builders are great people, but I would try talking to your shortlist direct, see how you get along with them.

I went to a highly reputable luthier (not one of these) once for a minor finish repair to one of my Fenders once, before asking anything he said "oh that truss rod is out" and cranked a good couple of turns, ruined the set-up (IMO) so that the action was incredibly low and the strings choked on the upper frets and handed it back to me "there you go". i was quite happy with the set up I already had and asked what he'd done that for... he said "you've obviously never played a well set up bass if you thought that was alright" - needless to say I asked him to put it back how it was. Then he asked why I'd brought it in (despite the enormous chunk out of the otherwise gleaming laquer on the neck). I said "no reason" and left.

- the point is, while his intentions were probably good I knew i wouldn't be happy leaving my bass with the man, let alone having him build one. His own basses are a beauty to behold, but if he were building one for me that sort of executive decision making would drive me nuts!

So go see them, speak on the phone, find out who you get on with, who you feel is listening to, rather than telling you, what you want. A custom built bass is an incredibly personal thing. Just because i didn't get on with one luthier doesn't mean the next man wouldn't think he was the best guy on the planet - indeed i went to him based on a recommendation from a couple of pro bassists i know.

If you can play some basses, by all the luthiers you are interested in. I did this as much as possible when I was looking for the right person the build my fretless. As brensabre79 says it's all about feeling comfortable with the person who's going to be making your bass and knowing that you can trust them to guide you through the various choices. For instance I was very interested in a couple of the Shuker models and had a long chat with Jon at one of the bass shows but when I came to actually play the basses they really didn't do anything for me at all which was kind of disappointing.

IMO the trick is to find a luthier who is already building something very close to what you want and then between the two of you hone that design to give you exactly what you want. There's lots of custom luthiers in the UK so do your research, and take your time finding the right person for you to work with. And BTW don't feel obliged to know every detail of the specification for your bass. A good luthier will be able to guide you through this process. Personally I think too many bespoke basses fail because the person ordering it felt that they had to make all the choices themselves. When I finally picked Sei to build my fretless bass it was because their Flamboyant Offset shape was the one of the designs I liked. I specified the rest of the design of the bass by showing Martin a photo of a Nordstrand bass whose colour-scheme I really liked and by saying that I wanted to be able to sound like Mick Karn. He did everything else for me!

ACG all the way mate, go with your gut!
I've got 2 ACGs (so far) and they are the best basses I've ever owned, amoung the finest I've ever played in every respect and represent amazing value for money.
I've had a few custom basses built now and ACG win hands down for all your key things listed above, and one thing they do better than anyone else by far is communication, knowing that your phone call, text or email will actually be read and that you will get a reply within a reasonable time frame if not immediately is key when you're spending "custom bass amounts of money", you'll know what's going on all along the way and get pics proving that something's actually happening :)
I've said this many times now, I seriously can't imagine owning a bass from another builder now.

If you've got any questions feel free to shoot me a PM, and if you're ever in the London area, you're welcome to come try mine out.

Order with confidence :yarr:

Eude

I've had a few Sei basses and a Shuker bass, most custom-built to my specification.
Both Martin Petersen and Jon Shuker are absolutely great guys to deal with and both had plenty of time to listen to my thoughts & suggestions.

Like Krysh said, the Sei basses are almost like furniture with attention to detail. However, that comes with it's own problems and I actually found them almost too delicate for the rigours of gigging having to continually tweak truss rods and adjust the neck on more than one of the basses. My last bass took 18 months to complete and in my opinion that's too long. I was quoted 9 months. I'll be honest, the increase in costs by Sei for their Jazz basses now mean they are too high for me and I looked at another builder.

The Shuker is now my workhorse bass and plays like an absolute dream. Jon Shuker was happy to do anything for me. I wanted a sparkle finish, which he was happy to do. He even went to the extent of re-shaping the neck and swapping out the inlay blocks on the neck because I wasn't happy. This was after I'd received the finished bass!!! This was all done free of charge (sorry Jon, I shouldn't say that) because he wanted me to be 100% happy with my bass. Build took around 9 months, when I was quoted 6 months and was about 1/2 the price of the Sei. An absolute bargain for the money.

At the end of the day though, I would suggest you get a good idea of what you want and then speak to a number of builders. You'll soon know who you'd like to work with. Remember though, it's addictive !!!!

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1339515890' post='1689681']
BigredX-Wise words. You can't teach your Grandma how to suck eggs. In my world 'custom' means spec, not untested shapes and woods.
[/quote]

Fair point, and well put BigRedX.
I've certainly found the kind of bass that does it for me, after a few false starts, custom bass ones at that too!
I am confident that ACG will be able to build what you want though, and it seems you already have a model in mind ;)

Eude

I love my Wal. A lot of the UK 1st call session players use Overwater. I haven't heard a bad word about GB basses. Then there's Mark King and Status.

There are many reasons to buy a bass from any one of a dozen other UK luthiers.

You takes your choice. No one can really help you out on this one.

Just checked out the ACG website to read this posted on 29 April 2012 ....

[size=3][i][b]New commissions.I will not be able to take on any new commissions for a while due to a family medical issue. All current work will still carry on as usual, with what I hope will be minimal disruption. Anyone I am currently in discussions with will still be able to place an order should they wish to.
As soon as the situation changes I will start to take on new orders, please keep an eye on the website for news. In the interim I am always happy to discuss future builds and put together spec sheets and quotes. There are also several stock basses on the available now page which may meet your specification.

Many thanks.

Alan[/b][/i][/size]

Thanks all for your input and shared wisdom!

I do really like the look of the ACG which is a definate starting point, I'm in no position to place an order anytime soon but am beginning to formulate ideas about what I'd like...

The Letts basses look really nicely done but somehow don't cause that flicker of desire in me

I did try a Sei in the gallery and thought it lovely furniture but not really my cup of tea...

Does anyone around Sheffield have a Shuker thru Neck Deluxe + 5 or an ACG Recurve 5 that I could try?

I`ve had similar experiences to brensabre79. Took a bass to a luthier, who instantly says "your intonation is out", just by looking at it. Well it wasn`t set up wonderfully, but each fretted note hit where it was meant to be on my tuner. So he checked it, and wouldn`t eat humble pie, but did agree he didn`t need to do that part. He did the job I asked, which was sort the electrics out. Anyway, a while later, I took another guitar to him, with some pots I`d both bought, and had taken out of other guitars. "Those pots are sh*t" was his comment. I therefore wondered why he had put them in the bass, as mentioned in the previous job.

So I`m in agreement, if you`re going to get someone to make a bass for you, get a good feeling for their work, and additionally, make sure they know what [u][b]you[/b][/u] want, and not to build you [u][b]their[/b][/u] ideal instrument.

I`ll end this post by stating that the luthier mentioned [u][b]was not[/b][/u] Terry Chapman of TJC Guitars, who is the only person I will now take my instruments to.

I might add, a lot of folk just like the look of a design and having one built to order is custom enough, with choice of topwoods, pickups etc. I find very few people actually care about nut widths, string spacing, scale length and such. Find one you like and go for it. You will find that most handmade basses will take a big fat dump on every factory instrument you ever played, and are much more adapt at being setup the way you like. The comment about Sei needing frequent truss adjustments I find quite strange. Necks made of weird and wonderfull woods are bad news though so maybe that's it. I reiterate, let the builder advise and trust what they tell you in the safety of their experience. I believe Ken Smith doesn't offer custom neck woods at all just a choice of 'stringers' and main core because he knows what works and trying new ideas at your expense isn't a good idea.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1339516681' post='1689713']
Just checked out the ACG website to read this posted on 29 April 2012 ....

[size=3][i][b]New commissions.I will not be able to take on any new commissions for a while due to a family medical issue. All current work will still carry on as usual, with what I hope will be minimal disruption. Anyone I am currently in discussions with will still be able to place an order should they wish to.
As soon as the situation changes I will start to take on new orders, please keep an eye on the website for news. In the interim I am always happy to discuss future builds and put together spec sheets and quotes. There are also several stock basses on the available now page which may meet your specification.

Many thanks.

Alan[/b][/i][/size]
[/quote]Oh dear. That sounds awful. Hope all is well Alan!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1339516363' post='1689698']
I love my Wal. A lot of the UK 1st call session players use Overwater. I haven't heard a bad word about GB basses. Then there's Mark King and Status.

[/quote]

Yep, you'll need to add all of these to your list..if you're looking for a quality build you'll also need to include Jaydee

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1339517391' post='1689739']
The comment about Sei needing frequent truss adjustments I find quite strange.
[/quote]

Martin tends to make his necks much shallower back to front than a lot of other basses. I asked him to make mine a bit more chunky than the others he was building at the time I put my order in.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1339519592' post='1689826']
Martin tends to make his necks much shallower back to front than a lot of other basses. I asked him to make mine a bit more chunky than the others he was building at the time I put my order in.
[/quote]But surely if it causes regular problems he would change something. My necks are also very shallow, 12mm nut to 18mm heel (without fingerboard). Maybe Sei are even thinner, me no know.

I've had a few built (Clifton)..done a course (Shuker) owned a few (Wal, Manson, Jaydee, Zoot, Bravewood/Steed) and played loads of the others (Overwater, Goodfellow).

They are all different, but mostly great instruments. Its all about personal needs/wants - so I'd have to say play everything you can get your hands on..try and notice things like pickups choices, circuits, set up and strings..then see what floats your boat after a few months.

You could also set up a UK makers themed bass-bash...heheheh. Now that would be fun!

BRX is pretty much bang on, as usual. Most of our builders are very, very good so I'd go with the one that speaks to you the most. For me that's Sei as a first choice as I love the basses (although my first 6 had a fairly temperamental neck too; I often wonder if heavy flame is the culprit as some other well-known builders seem to think. My current non-flamed neck is fine) and get on really well with Martin, but I'd be happy to have an ACG (Alan's a great guy) , another Rim (ditto - would need to be a different shape though, sadly), another Jaydee or Wal etc.

The only maker that really hasn't done it for me so far, having played some of his instruments, is Shuker, but that wouldn't necessarily put me off and shouldn't put you off either; some swear by his basses. One other guy who doesn't get mentioned much is Paul Everson; I really, really liked the one Everson bass I played, I thought it was superb.