Why become a member? ×

Who made you decide "I'm going to play bass!"

Cameronj279

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1339268703' post='1686230']
My Dad suggested I take up an instrument when I was 19. I immediately asked for drums. That got vetoed, so I went for bass...
the next bit goes just like this....

...Right down to the Westone Raider 1, which I still own.

Spooky!
[/quote]
Lucky bugger. I miss that Bass with all my heart. I sold it out of desperation.

Interesting question but I can honestly say I wasn't inspired by anyone really.

What I do remember, from an early age, was picking out and listening to the bass line in any given piece of music. While others would whistle or hum the melody I was always dum-dum-dumming along to the bass line.

When I started the inevitable fumbling around with an acoustic guitar it was bass lines from favourite songs that I would try to pick out. I taught myself to strum chords OK but I could never get on with playing any lead guitar or melody parts, which pushed me even more towards the bass guitar.

The fact that bassists were generally ignored by the cameras on TOTP and that players such as the Ox would pretty much remain motionless on stage, instead of all that daft posturing, prancing and pouting by lead guitarists, also appealed to my generally introverted manner.

Add my interest in all the technical stuff associated with bands and I reckon my bass playing was inevitable. :D

Geddy Lee. Moving Pictures blew my tiny little mind as a teenager. Took me a while to realise what I was hearing was a bass guitar as it was so outfront and intertwined with the arrangements of the tunes. From that point on I wanted to be a great bass player (was playing keyboard cack handedly prior to this point).

Dunno if I can lay claim to being a great bass player.. but I'm still trying ("got my sights on the stars.. won't get that far but I'll try anyway...")

I did! I played guitar and just wanted a bass so went out and bought one (Vintage 5 string, still got it). Never really had a bass idol and the only bass tab book I ever bought and gave some serious attention to was 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik' although I don't really class Flea as a massive influence.

Metallica are the reason I got into music in a big way, although they have been terrible for some years now.

For me it was Krist Novoselic's line on the Nirvana song Lounge Act. The reason I bought a bass and the first song I ever learnt (about 2 mins after acquiring said bass!) I've broadened my horizons a bit since, but I'll never forget the original inspiration and still love the bassline.

My next door neighbor Gary ! I went round one day and he had his gear set up ... an nice white P-Bass and and a massive stack !
Looked cool as furk : ) he said you can have a go if you like ... I declined but set my sights on THE BASS

Gary McManus went on to be the bassist in The Specials after Horace Panter left and played on Free Nelson Mandela and other
Special AKA material .... he was one cool guy bless him RIP Gary.

[quote name='psychojoy' timestamp='1339276111' post='1686350']

The person who made me want to play was a YouTube user called zodiakironfist. I loved his covers and I thought - f*ck it! I'd love to do that!
[/quote]

Had been watching his video's for quite a while before I started playing as well, it's a shame he died at such a young age, seemed like a really nice and fun guy as well as a great bassist.

Quite a lot of love for The Stranglers here, never really been able to get into them myself.

Was thinking about learning an instrument and couldn't narrow it down. By chance, I was flipping tv channels and landed on Kerrang! I hated their music, but 'My Way' by Limp Bizkit was on and there's a moment where Sam Rivers plays a little bass fill but practically snaps the low B off his bass as he pulls it right up towards his chin...

I thought, that looks insanely cool. Bass it is.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1339279847' post='1686406']
John Deacon of Queen.
[/quote]

+1.

I was into Queen before I got the bass "bug". After being blown away by the in-your-face bass of Geddy Lee, when returning to my Queen albums, I appreciated the subtle and articulate basslines of John Deacon. I really ought to learn the bassline to to Killer Queen. And what about Play the Game..? .. Genius.

As far as influences, its the boring obvious answers John Paul Jones, Jaco, Stu Hamm. But what made me decide to start playing bass was 'Right Next Door to Hell' by GnR. I just heard that noise at the begining and went 'What the f*** was that' asked my mate, he told me, so i got my dad to buy me a bass. To this day i still love listening to duff. I like the simple melodic boomy rock groovy playing.

http://youtu.be/bZtJhYl8_ks

Edited by Lord Sausage