Why become a member? ×

Untried P bass, would you purchase?

leftyhook

So if a Fender P bass is the absolute 'go to' bass....

Are they so great and trustworthy, and [i]consistent[/i], that you would happily
purchase one new without trying it?

I ask this as I am having trouble finding a used p bass that isn't more expensive than a used one.

yes have done loads of times off ebay and here.

rules I use -
photos must confirm it's genuine
unless it's been put up at a great (or silly price) only buy at auction not buy it now
make sure the chap selling has a good rep
know your prices

that way if you don;t like it you can usually sell it for what you've bought it for

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1339114677' post='1684067'] Are they so great and trustworthy, and [i]consistent[/i], that you would happily purchase one new without trying it? [/quote]

I bought my Steve Harris sig new and untried. As far as I can tell it's fine. It is a Japanese made Fender though, not sure I'd buy an American or Mexican made one unplayed.

Most of my best purchases have been untried, importing from abroad. I don't have any qualms about doing it and I've been able to pick up some wonderful and rare instruments as a result, which wouldn't have been possible if I had restricted myself to trying before buying.

I wouldn't do it with a Fender though

Just a couple of days ago I went to look at a used Precision - a 1975 in olympic white with black scratch-plate and rosewood fingerboard.

If it hadn't been so expensive (£2,200), I could easily have bought it over the phone sight unseen as the sales-person had told me it all looked fine, nicely aged etc. I always ask someone over the phone what the WORST feature of an instrument is. He said in this case, that it was a little nick in the finish just behind the scratch-plate and under the strings. I thought "Jeezo, this one sounds like a minter" and made the fairly long trip to see the instrument:

Here's what I found:
- The general feel was "a bit beaten up" as opposed to "nicely aged" but I guess this is quite subjective.

- As well as nicks all over the body, it appeared that a lightweight drill had slightly wandered over bits of the body and headstock accidentally while plugged in.

- Intonation was off on at least one of the strings.

- Action was too high when compared to my own 74 Jazz and other Fenders I've played of this vintage.

- I think this high action was possibly to compensate for the fact that the first 4 frets (at least) were grooved by all 4 strings and needed replaced. So the action will have needed to be raised to stop string buzz (one of you with a bit of experience here could perhaps advise if this sounds like a fair assessment). In any case, the strings still buzzed a fair bit when fretting them at the headstock end of the neck.

- The truss rod was adjusted to the point where the end had disappeared up the neck by about 1cm inside the heel - not sure if this is OK or a problem with the neck already being at full adjustment (again someone more expert than me could advise).

- Thumb-rest missing, no ashtray, jack socket a little loose and strap hooks not original.

- Fender hard-shell case missing Fender logo, one of the latches missing and very well beaten up

On the plus side the instrument was light, but it shows you what some shops will take well over £2k for, whilst telling you from a safe distance that it's in "good condition and nicely aged".

CB

PS: If anyone does have a 1974/75 Precision in the above colour scheme for sale, please let me know. Ta.

Edited by cloudburst

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1339133864' post='1684089']
I bought my Steve Harris sig new and untried. As far as I can tell it's fine. It is a Japanese made Fender though, not sure I'd buy an American or Mexican made one unplayed.
[/quote]

I tried on of these recently, wasn;t looking to buy it as I was just testing a pedal, however, it was a lovely bass, very playable and after 5 mins it felt as comfortable to play as my regular basses. It was also a very quality finish and set up.

I recently tried out a bunch of different fenders in my local music shop, (see: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/176714-so-i-tried-some-p-basses-yesterday"]http://basschat.co.u...asses-yesterday[/url] ) and until I did this, I would have said yes, as I have bought several of my P-basses blind and they have all been brilliant.

However, after I did this I would say that you definitely shouldn't buy an MiM blind, as the quality of them varies wildly from one bass to another. I would probably still buy a USA or an MIJ without trying first, but I am much more wary now.

(Edit for spelling)

Edited by jackers

I've bought loads of basses without trying them first and pretty much all of them have been exactly as described.

With a used bass I'd always try to strike up a conversation with the seller. You can usually tell quite quickly if he/she is a trustworthy person.

I think new Fenders are a lot tougher to feel safe about. Some are just great, I've owned a 2010 J that was one of the nicest Fenders I've ever played but you do hear some horror stories about dodgy frets. misaligned necks etc.

On balance most new ones ought to be fine & if you buy from a dealer & it's dodgy then you can get a replacement/refund - just a bit of a hassle if it's a long distance shipping job :(

I would buy any 80's Ibanez because I know they're all amazing.

Anyway on the subject of Fenders; I'll agree with everyone else. Japanese made basses are almost always without fault. I've owned and played a few Mexicans and Americans in the past and the thing is, they work as a bass should but they occasionally have a few nighles that don't really bother me, but would drive other people mad. It just depends on how much bad fit and finish bother you!

Truckstop

I`ve bought a few Precisions untried, including my 77. Never had a problem with any of them. Yes, there can be a few set-up issues, but these can be dealt with. It`s whether you`re that bothered by bad fit/finish - and I`m not when it comes to a Precision, I think it`s part of their charm.

They vary a lot and asking prices can be stupid for a very poor instrument just because it's old.

On the other hand, a mid-priced instrument can usually be sold on for what you paid for it if you don't like it, so long as it's not got a knackered truss rod.

Personally I'd never buy unseen from Ebay but I would from a Basschatter.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1339146293' post='1684233']
They vary a lot and asking prices can be stupid for a very poor instrument just because it's old.

On the other hand, a mid-priced instrument can usually be sold on for what you paid for it if you don't like it, so long as it's not got a knackered truss rod.

Personally I'd never buy unseen from Ebay but I would from a Basschatter.
[/quote]

I'm a bit ignorant on truss rods as my 74 Jazz has never needed any tinkering at all. I know what they do, but how can you tell if they are knackered? And in a music shop, where you can't really attempt to do any adjustments, what are the clues?

CB

for me it comes down to the individual case, if it was from the classifieds here then i'd be fairly happy to buy most things but on ebay or similar i would set myself a sensible limit of maybe 300 quid, any more than that and i'd want to play it before parting with cash and it would have to be either a jap Fender/Squier one of the many copies (ibanez etc) or a sandberg/lakland or similar to make me part with a reasonable amount of money, if it was MIM or USA fender i'd want to play it before buying as the ones i've tried have been a little variable in quality and feel.

Have you been up to Newcastle to try P-Basses? there was a lovely black MIJ P-bass in The Guitar Shop when i was in there on Saturday, mid nineties and as light as i've ever held, i had to put it down and hurry from the shop to save my wallet!

Matt

Edit - just noticed your username, i'm afraid the bass i was playing was a righty, sorry!

Edited by Matt P

This is the world of the left handed player. The chances to try before you buy are virtually nil. Go into any music shop and you'll find a whole host of interesting right handed basses, but in the left handed section we find a Squire Jazz, normally black, and possibly a cheap Yamaha and or Peavey and that's it. At least amps are
ambidextrous.

No no and no! Must try before you buy in my book, I once had gas for a Steve Harris model, I heard Ed Friedland wax lyrical about it on you[size=2][b](pay-me-later-Mr.Fender)[/b][/size]tube and when I tried it in GAK it was not my cuppa.

So anything you must try to see if it fits your needs, I also dislike Mexican necks as opposed to Squiers and MIA ones. Go figure.

bah! just been to Newcastle Guitar Guitar. Not a single left handed bass in the store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So i pick up a few R/H P basses, American and Mexican.Look noce but ranged from average action to bloody awful.
Upon enquiring about L/H availability, only 2 P basses in the whole company (Scotland to London) and if I put down a deposit to have one sent, found I didn't like it,
the deposit would have to be transferred to something else in store. &*$%£"!!!!!!

Certainly won't buy before I try after today's experience.

Predictably disappointed

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1339165787' post='1684734']
What, not even the Squire Jazz? At least us left handers can play a bass upside down. Not a lot of choice really if we want to try something out.
[/quote]
I have played many basses upside down, including the strings. But...if I am paying up to £1,000 - I want a true lefty and I expect a bass to be of a very high standard and not have to think about adjusting the action/neck etc.