Why become a member? ×

Active Basses - which batteries are recommended

Lozz196

From an electrical point of view, they supply power for the preamp. As long as they deliver 9V, they do the job. The only difference is how long they last before their voltage dips below what you preamp needs to give the output signal full amplitude. This is probably just another way of saying Duracell is the way to go :)

On one of my bases, I get months and months before I decide I need to change it..just as a precaution, more than anything.
I used to use Duracell, but now am not fussed as I throw them away before they die anyway...
or rather I put them in another bass for one show as that bass eats batts..

I changed the 9v Duracell batteries in my Lakland every year (approx 150 gigs). They were still good in the tuner for months after that. The volume on the bass was only on 2 or 3 so that might have been the reason.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1338228586' post='1671212']
The volume on the bass was only on 2 or 3 so that might have been the reason.
[/quote]

Colour me intrigued, Chris.

I understand that you can just as easily turn down the bass and turn up the amp, but I routinely do the opposite (more or less) and assumed - obviously wrongly - that everyone else did the same. :rolleyes:

Clearly your approach works for you, and there's nowt wrong with the sound you get at your gigs (been to a few), but what's the thinking?

Jack, the amp volume was high, I guess the cabs were sensitive enough to make a big noise and with the bass volume low I was getting a great clean tone.

ps

A lot of players seem to have the bass on full, the gain high and the master low. I had the master full, the gain on about half and the bass low. No real thinking.... that's where I ended up after a fiddle and that's where it stayed.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1338229833' post='1671242']
Jack, the amp volume was high, I guess the cabs were sensitive enough to make a big noise and with the bass volume low I was getting a great clean tone.

ps

A lot of players seem to have the bass on full, the gain high and the master low. I had the master full, the gain on about half and the bass low. No real thinking.... that's where I ended up after a fiddle and that's where it stayed.
[/quote]

Hmmmm.

I can feel a session in the studio coming on ...

Cheers Don, no it`s a ltd edition for 2011 only, white with black scratchplate, rosewwod neck. Straying a fair bit from my comfort zone, but every time I`ve played a Ray I`ve liked it, and I heard one through the same amp/speaker set-up I`ve got, and it sounded great, so set the GAS on full.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1338225449' post='1671133']
Once a year appears to be more than often enough for most folks so coinciding with your birthday or christmas is a good way to go :)
[/quote]

I'm way too cautious/panic prone to wait, I usually change them after a few gigs, but I gig twice a week so it's getting expensive. I think I'll get a tester from Maplin this week.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1338238994' post='1671510']
What are the Procells like? Seems like the price is to good to be true!
[/quote]

Really crap. Really, really crap. That's why everybody is recommending them.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1338213944' post='1670887']
Duracells have the most growl, they are also fat-sounding, clean, smooth, edgy, deep, piano-like and vintagey. Energizers are good batteries but they don't cut through or sit perfectly in the mix like Duracells do.
[/quote]
:D

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1338236079' post='1671414']
I'm way too cautious/panic prone to wait, I usually change them after a few gigs, but I gig twice a week so it's getting expensive. I think I'll get a tester from Maplin this week.
[/quote]
Eh? You serious? A tester? :D

Get Duracell Procell box of ten off ebay for a tenner, they last for f***ing ages, 100+ hours at least.

Make sure you take out your jack when not playing though as that drains the battery as you're completing the circuit.

Edit: £7.49 free postage, new stock.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-DURACELL-PROCELL-9V-BATTERIES-ALKALINE-PP3-PP3-/150518690146?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item230b9cf162#ht_2973wt_1179

Edited by silddx

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1338238994' post='1671510']
What are the Procells like? Seems like the price is to good to be true!
[/quote]

Well, they're basically the same as the Duracells you buy from the supermarket, but they're just bulk-packaged and aimed at professional users. AFAIK, the RRP is supposed to be about £25 - £30 for a box of 10, it's just some people sell em cheap!

I haven't worried about batteries since I started playing Sandbergs, because if the battery goes I can just carry on in passive mode until there's a suitable time to shove a fresh one in. (yes, yes, I know loads of other basses have a passive bypass too! :D)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1338243422' post='1671644']
Eh? You serious? A tester? :D

Get Duracell Procell box of ten off ebay for a tenner, they last for f***ing ages, 100+ hours at least.

Make sure you take out your jack when not playing though as that drains the battery as you're completing the circuit.

Edit: £7.49 free postage, new stock.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-DURACELL-PROCELL-9V-BATTERIES-ALKALINE-PP3-PP3-/150518690146?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item230b9cf162#ht_2973wt_1179"]http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_2973wt_1179[/url]
[/quote]

My battery has never run out,I just worry it might :unsure:

So even if I bulk buy,I'll probably waste loads of perfectly good batteries. :blush: