Why become a member? ×

Maple board with black blocks, FUGLY!

Clarky

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1338086610' post='1669484']
White pearl blocks on maple?

[/quote]

Oh yes. And I think it works because of the pearl pickguard. Very nice. And as you pointed out, I have played this very bass and it is quite astonishing. I'll get one like a shot should I ever hold sufficient cabbage. :gas:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1338079371' post='1669476']
See, nice!

Heres what I have -

[/quote]

I don't usually like black blocks but that looks great! I think it's when the finish of the bass goes yellowy that I start to dislike them, but the contrast with the almost white wood looks good.

Edit:

[quote name='ChristopherGilbert' timestamp='1338107540' post='1669555']
Only time i've seen blocks that are nice are when thepick guard is the same colour.
[/quote]

Plus this as well.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1338076580' post='1669460']
Maple with black blocks looks cheap. Rosewood with pearl blocks looks classic.
[/quote]

Have to agree, rarely see a black blocked maple neck that works for me... RW and pearl is a whole new ball game and definitely the
one I'd go for.

.......and don't get me started on stick-ons of any sort...totally wrong.

I swear I saw a high-ish end bass with stick-on black blocks...What the f******* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with the OP on this. I don't really like the black blocks. But diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

In fact - block inlays on anything Fender that isn't a Jazz causes me to question all I believed in during the 70s :-) Aargh.

Since back in the day, I've had a 1974 Jazz in mocha brown with maple neck and pearl blocks. I've always loved it.

CB

Edited by cloudburst

But really, do we need blocks or dots on the fingerboard?? I mean, the dots on the side of the neck are more than sufficient for me, and if I'm playing a tricky bit, I'll need to look at the damn individual frets, and a block (especially) would be of no help whatsoever.

I agree with those who say that, just from the point of view of aesthetics, blocks or dots of the same colour of the pickguard are preferable.

Edited by bluejay

I think the bass has to have some black on it to pull off the black blocks. Wooks' natural Jazz above looks fantastic but that green one from the OP looks ew.

I love the pearl blocks on the maple board of my Overwater ([url="http://overwaterbasses.com/gallery/aspiration-gallery/#lightbox%5BContemporary%5D/0/"]http://overwaterbasses.com/gallery/aspiration-gallery/#lightbox[Contemporary]/0/[/url] - except mine's got a black body).

Edit: link didn't work as intended. It's the one at the bottom.

Oh, and I'm finding that I'm so used to the blocks now, I have to think a little about where my hands are when I'm playing a bass without them! So I guess they help somewhat. But like Bluejay, I find the dots on the side of the neck to be the most help.

Edited by Mornats

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1338112458' post='1669661']
But really, do we need blocks or dots on the fingerboard?? I mean, the dots on the side of the neck are more than sufficient for me, and if I'm playing a tricky bit, I'll need to look at the damn individual frets, and a block (especially) would be of no help whatsoever.

I agree with those who say that, just from the point of view of aesthetics, blocks or dots of the same colour of the pickguard are preferable.
[/quote]

Exactly, if you're looking at the front dots or blocks all the audience is seeing is the top of your head.

I'm probably going to disappear under a hail of rotten vegetables, but I do like the black blocks on Geddy's red Jazz...

Ow! Stoppit! Not the face! ...Not the balls! Etc.

Edit: Apologies to the OP for liking this! Sorry, Clarky! :P

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1338117054' post='1669739']
I'm probably going to disappear under a hail of rotten vegetables, but I do like the black blocks on Geddy's red Jazz...

Ow! Stoppit! Not the face! ...Not the balls! Etc.

Edit: Apologies to the OP for liking this! Sorry, Clarky! :P
[/quote]

This could be a great looking bass, if she was wearing a black pick-guard. But you only have to look at the T shirt the fella's wearing to see he has no idea about aesthetics.

Edited by billyapple

Y'know what?
It's actually [i]so[/i] far down the list of important factors in a bass guitar as to be irrelevant.

What's above it? Wellllll......
Ergonomics/design, Quality of construction, electronics, pick-ups, string choice, materials selection, hardware, fretwork, adjustability, stability, playability, "tone" (whatever that is!), reliability, durability...

... and so on ad infinitum (well, nearly) until the last three;
Body colour
Fretboard markers
The name on the headstock (or wherever else it may be!)

How silly of us to be whimsical humans and think of impractical things like aesthetics.
We stand corrected and will only discuss the factors you approve of in future. It's bound to be much more fun that way.
And we can be sure not to play anything other than Kraftwerk.

PS: The thread seems to have been relevant enough that the subject line piqued your interest enough to click it though?

CB

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1338145041' post='1670094']
Y'know what?
It's actually [i]so[/i] far down the list of important factors in a bass guitar as to be irrelevant.

What's above it? Wellllll......
Ergonomics/design, Quality of construction, electronics, pick-ups, string choice, materials selection, hardware, fretwork, adjustability, stability, playability, "tone" (whatever that is!), reliability, durability...
[/quote]
I'd say those are all fairly unimportant too - it's only the choice of notes and their placement in relation to the beat that really really matters.

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1338145643' post='1670102']
How silly of us to be whimsical humans and think of impractical things like aesthetics.
We stand corrected and will only discuss the factors you approve of in future. It's bound to be much more fun that way.
And we can be sure not to play anything other than Kraftwerk.

PS: The thread seems to have been relevant enough that the subject line piqued your interest enough to click it though?

CB
[/quote]

Easy, Tiger! It was just another opinion in the mix! :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1338146502' post='1670116']
I'd say those are all fairly unimportant too - it's only the choice of notes and their placement in relation to the beat that really really matters.
[/quote]

And whilst I'd agree entirely if the subject were "bass instruments in music", I feel compelled to point out that I did qualify in my post that the comments were directed towards important factors in a bass guitar.... ;)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1338147026' post='1670124']
And whilst I'd agree entirely if the subject were "bass instruments in music", I feel compelled to point out that I did qualify in my post that the comments were directed towards important factors in a bass guitar.... ;)
[/quote]
I took you to mean bass guitar, as you said, but I still meant what I said.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1338139017' post='1670018']
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Blocks have no place on a precision, or a tele, or a strat or anything apart from a jazz bass, jazz master or jaguar. Apart from gibsons.
[/quote]

Hear hear! They look like aftermarket body kits on saloon cars.