Why become a member? ×

Burns Bison bass

highwayone

They have their fans, but I wasn't impressed. I tried a modern day reissue, can't comment on the original ones. I found it rather uninspiring - a bit weak and anaemic on any setting. Pretty meh all round. The Gibson G-3 which I tried at the same time blew it away when played through the same amp. So I bought the G-3!

Well I had one and it was great fun - I especially enjoyed the tone setting "Wild Dog". Prices seem to vary a bit but it's a nice little knock about bass that would certainly complete the look of an Oasis tribute band. As a main bass it wouldn't be my first choice but if I was back in my old ways of having loads of basses it certainly is a real contender.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1337875075' post='1666858']
Well I had one and it was great fun - I especially enjoyed the tone setting "Wild Dog". Prices seem to vary a bit but it's a nice little knock about bass that would certainly complete the look of an Oasis tribute band. As a main bass it wouldn't be my first choice but if I was back in my old ways of having loads of basses it certainly is a real contender.
[/quote]
Yeah, prices do seem to vary wildly. I think some sellers on eBay think they have the crown jewels of basses but I do think they are an acquired taste IMO.

I just got rid of one,big lump of wood-white gold trimmings,and lefthanded-certainly an eye catcher,but not one for the weak,heavy as fook-anyway traded it in as i#m after a Sandberg.got rid as soon as i found out that some tawt from oarses had one.

Traded my black one in (similar to Andy Bell's but reissue) for my tele bass. Great range of sounds and sounds mean with flats using the 'bass setting' through a valve rig. Traded it in at Manchester Bass Lounge and i believe its still for sale on their website

I`ve no experience of them, but if doing a tribute band, the instruments have to look right, so in my view, it has to be done. Oasis weren`t exactly known for their big bass sound, so your bass needs to be there more for the look than the sound - depending on which bassists look you`re going for, of course (the original one used an original P Bass, 51 Reissue style).

I like mine a lot. It has just about every variety of tone built in that anyone could need. This bass is great for the studio.

It's great for live use, too and the only thing that could be considred a 'drawback' is the emormous body size. It weighs a ton!! The neck reach is the longest that I've ever had to use. You want neck dive? You got it. It sounds more like a Rickenbacker at times than my 3 Ric 4003's!

• 9 years later...

Coming from a former Oasis super-fan, why would you set out your stage "persona" on latter day Oasis?

The band might have been technically more adept, but for me the classic look is where it's at, the vast majority of your set is probably going to be the first few albums and their accompanying B sides? 

Go for the Guigs look... Jazz or 51 P. Job done. That's what I'd expect to see, not Andy Bell.