Why become a member? ×

Stunning 2-tone stack knob.......

That is seriously the best looking bass I have ever seen :) underpriced? Where are you ever EVER going to find another like that? If I won a million or so on the Lotto I'd buy that in a flash :P & play it :o

Good man - couldn't agree more

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1337715332' post='1664502']
That is seriously the best looking bass I have ever seen :) underpriced? Where are you ever EVER going to find another like that? If I won a million or so on the Lotto I'd buy that in a flash :P & play it :o
[/quote]

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1337715332' post='1664502']
[/quote]
It might play and sound rubbish! :tatice_03:

Whilst I appreciate the 'nostalgia' thing, surely a guitar/bass made 50+ years ago, can't be better than modern guitars/basses that are hand-crafted by the top luthiers of today for a fraction of the price.
So why do people want to spend so much money on a bass that will probably have dodgy electrics, worn frets, cracked/chipped and 'dodgy' paintwork, neck/truss rod problems, corroded hardware...etc...etc...?
Of course, I am only winding you up, but surely if a these old classics are that great, why can they not be reproduced to the exact specs, and therefore sound and play just as good?
I know Fender produce models based on so-called 62's, 63's and so on, but are they as good, and if so, do they not satisfy the craving for that classic sound and vibe, or is it just the 'original' thing that is all important?
I really am intrigued (but don't understand) by this obsession with vintage instruments.
I am ready to be slaughtered on this! :scratch_one-s_head:

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1337805609' post='1665862']
Whilst I appreciate the 'nostalgia' thing, surely a guitar/bass made 50+ years ago, can't be better than modern guitars/basses that are hand-crafted by the top luthiers of today for a fraction of the price.
So why do people want to spend so much money on a bass that will probably have dodgy electrics, worn frets, cracked/chipped and 'dodgy' paintwork, neck/truss rod problems, corroded hardware...etc...etc...?
Of course, I am only winding you up, but surely if a these old classics are that great, why can they not be reproduced to the exact specs, and therefore sound and play just as good?
I know Fender produce models based on so-called 62's, 63's and so on, but are they as good, and if so, do they not satisfy the craving for that classic sound and vibe, or is it just the 'original' thing that is all important?
I really am intrigued (but don't understand) by this obsession with vintage instruments.
[/quote]

Nothing to be slaughtered about - if you buy a reissue, no matter how great it is it won't be one of the very instruments that started it all... that's all.

The people who buy instruments like this aren't scratting about for change down the back of the settee.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1337805609' post='1665862']
[/quote]

Top end vintage are sought after for their rarity, and desirability, as much as the tone, playability etc. The same as an original Rembrandt painting, does it look any better than a good print, no, its exactly the same, but in this case one is worth 99p, the other is worth £85m. Its on the significance, the rarity, the desirability, and also to a certain extent the cudos of owning one, as well as the satisfaction of finally owning a dream item, after what may be years of hard work to afford it, and a long search in finding one. For what its worth, the originals, in my opinion do sound and play far better than the best reissues, but that's not what these are all about.