Why become a member? ×

Fantastic Butlins Weekender

CyberBass

Well, had to just post that I am on a Butlins Weekender in Minhead. The weather is god dam awful but the live bands have been mind blowingly good. Started out Friday night with Department S, who had a a bassist filling in for them from The Ruts DC, who I've been informed are going out live again in the near future, whether it will be the same without Paul Fox, fingers crossed, followed an awesome set by Hazel O'Connor and her band. Musicianship throughout the weekend has been premier league.
On Saturday the highlights have to go to The Beat and Bruce Foxton's from the Jam, both were breathtakingly good.
And what have we got today? Well The Blockheads, Nine Below Zero, Dr Feelgood, John Otway, Wilko Johnson and The Boomtown Rats. What a weekend this is turning out to be :-)

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1335688112' post='1634506']
Grim thoughts when I saw Butlins in the title. Having read the post I suddenly want to be there ! Damn, that's a good line up
[/quote]
This

Yep, I made it there too. Really enjoyed Wilko and Norman, although Norman could've done with being a touch louder in the first half of the set, but they did a great job as ever. After a few more beers, was looking forward to the Blockheads, but it wasn't Norman on bass. I kinda recognised the stand in but it wasn't until halfway through the first song that it suddenly twigged . . . .Guy Pratt ! Fair do's, he don't do it like Norman but he did do it very well indeed. Lovely old ? stackknob Jazz, sounding perfect through a big Ashdown rig.
Great weekend, really enjoyed it. Sadly, I had an unscheduled nap on Saturday night and missed loads of great bands including From the Jam.
Gutted about that. too much pizza 'n' beer !

My single strongest memory of Minehead is of Blue Anchor Bay and the sheer amount of MUD exposed at low tide.
I went there c.1980 with my parents, and it was a mud-fest.
When we re-visited the site as part of a school trip/holiday about 2-3 years later, I refused to get out of the bus. Needless to say, everyone returned plastered in mud.

To me, Minehead=Mud....