Why become a member? ×

Expliquez moi..................

Jazzneck

So we've got the local Jubilee celebration preparations underway and the two "bands" in the village have been asked to play the village party without payment, for free, gratis.......

However, the following has already been agreed:
The local P.A. company is being paid £425 to supply the kit and an announcer.
The local caterer is charging £6.50 per head for the buffet.
The local pub is supplying the bar and will be selling drinks at normal prices.
An insurance premium of God knows how much is being paid.

And we (two bands who normally go out for no less than £300) are being asked to play for nothing?

O.K. you may say, as it is a village do, you should do your bit.

Answers on a postcard, please.........

Rant over.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1334906559' post='1623152']
I'll do the P.A. for £300. Does that help?
[/quote]
Thanks, but they've already agreed the deal.
We've already suggested that the bands P.A. could have been used as it would have been set up, anyway.

Your band like all the other suppliers (PA, catering, bar etc.) are adding value to the event. Therefore you should get paid. If the others have reduced their fees to reflect the nature of the event then you should too, but none of them are going to be out of pocket at the end so why should you?

At the very least they should cover your travelling expenses, food and drink.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1334906860' post='1623156']
Thanks, but they've already agreed the deal.
We've already suggested that the bands P.A. could have been used as it would have been set up, anyway.
[/quote]

Well tell them to have fun with the PA with no band.

Good that you know the other band, so if both of you insist of not playing for free, great!

I mean, you woulnd't even play your auntie's birthday without some cash for the band mates,
now why do that for ... what's her name ... when she's not even there??

Plus one would suppose she's got the cash..?

Answer is simple, don't do it, that's ridiculous. You will see they WILL coff up the cash.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1334907457' post='1623161']
Your band like all the other suppliers (PA, catering, bar etc.) are adding value to the event. Therefore you should get paid. If the others have reduced their fees to reflect the nature of the event then you should too, but none of them are going to be out of pocket at the end so why should you?

At the very least they should cover your travelling expenses, food and drink.
[/quote]

This.

You're supplying a service just like the others. There's no reason for you to be any different other than the organisers are trying to save themselves money and that isn't your problem.

Edited by Fozza

On the other hand, if this is a village celebration and you guys are part of the village, then maybe - just [i][b]maybe [/b][/i]- it might be a fun gig to play.

Why not invite the organisers to provide full backline (seeing as they're already supplying the PA & stage) and both bands can turn up with just their instruments and play.

That offer would simultaneously show willing to play, while pointing up that bands don't get paid for just playing but for all the aggravation, organisation, and investment that the audience never sees.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1334907672' post='1623166']
"You'll get together for a practice anyway, won't you? Do one of them, then. We don't mind."
[/quote]

This, I like.

Wonder if they'll put up with the smoking, bad language, farting and general off colour banter, hurling of insults etc. that goes on at our practise sessions, though?

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1334910002' post='1623212']
This, I like.

Wonder if they'll put up with the smoking, bad language, farting and general off colour banter, hurling of insults etc. that goes on at our practise sessions, though?
[/quote]

And they're not allowed to bring their girlfriends... remember that!

The organisers of the Olympics in London this year are trying the same trick ;
http://www.corporatewatch.org/?lid=4290&fwcc=1&fwcl=1&fwl

( They have even asked for Keith Moon to play at the closing ceremony ; http://www.nesn.com/2012/04/london-olympic-organizers-ask-for-deceased-who-drummer-keith-moon-to-perform-at-closing-ceremonies.html )

I like this approach ;

God, just do the gig! What's wrong with showing a bit of willing every now and then?! It'll be fun, you'll get to play for lots of people, and you'll ingratiate yourself into village life.

I'm sure the organisers will be able to stretch to a free bar for and some free food. If not, who cares? Everyone else in the universe will be paying for the pleasure of celebrating the jubilee. Just because you'll be "working" doesn't mean you should get away with it for free in my opinion.

Just suck it up, do the show and show your appreciation that you've been asked to play in the first place.

Truckstop

[quote name='DaveFry' timestamp='1334912824' post='1623272']
The organisers of the Olympics in London this year are trying the same trick ;
[url="http://www.corporatewatch.org/?lid=4290&fwcc=1&fwcl=1&fwl"]http://www.corporate...cc=1&fwcl=1[/url]

( They have even asked for Keith Moon to play at the closing ceremony ; [url="http://www.nesn.com/2012/04/london-olympic-organizers-ask-for-deceased-who-drummer-keith-moon-to-perform-at-closing-ceremonies.html"]http://www.nesn.com/...ceremonies.html[/url] )

I like this approach ;

[/quote]

( :lol:)( :lol:)( :lol:)

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1334913928' post='1623291']
God, just do the gig! What's wrong with showing a bit of willing every now and then?! It'll be fun, you'll get to play for lots of people, and you'll ingratiate yourself into village life.

I'm sure the organisers will be able to stretch to a free bar for and some free food. If not, who cares? Everyone else in the universe will be paying for the pleasure of celebrating the jubilee. Just because you'll be "working" doesn't mean you should get away with it for free in my opinion.

Just suck it up, do the show and show your appreciation that you've been asked to play in the first place.

Truckstop
[/quote]

And that, Truckstop, is exactly what we (both bands) for those reasons did as soon as we were asked last night.

I was just asking the question, is all................ :)

Edited by Jazzneck

Truckstop
[/quote]

I don't think you have grasped the situation here. There seems to be a prevailing attitude that musicians will/should perform for free 'for the exposure', or because musicians would do it anyway because it's a vocation. The musicians are part of the 'service' providing the audience at the event with entertainment to go with their food and chit chat. The other service providers are getting paid. So should the musicians be. If it's a charity event, then why are the other service providers getting paid?

It's unfair and unequitable.

By not getting paid (at least expenses) both the bands and the organisers are devaluing music. Would the event be as good without any music? Of course not. If you want to do it as part of the "community spirit" for your village at least make sure that you aren't going to be out of pocket for having done it, because none of the other suppliers will be.

Truckstop
[/quote]

paying for the PLEASURE of celebrating the Jubilee...

that made me really laugh out loud :lol:

I agree with the sentiment of unfairness. At the same time, in a case like this I'd be willing and happy to do it but we would have to be fed and given drinks etc.

Edited by mcnach

The cateres don't get paid, they lose hundreds of pounds in stock; if the pub doesn't sell their stock, they lose hundreds of pounds. If the band don't get paid....?

Look, I agree that bands should never pay to play, or play for free. But this is different. This is a national event celebrating the life and reign of one of the worlds most recognisable people. In your local village! I don't think you're devaluing music or the live music scene by playing one gig out of many gigs for free.

I've paid for all my gear several times over by playing gigs. In all respects, I wouldn't stand to actually lose money by playing for free. If I was a professional musician, then fine, it's uneconomical for me to work for free. But I'm not. I may be alone here, but doing favours for people makes the world go around, balances the karma ad all that.

I totally appreciate where Nigel and BRX are coming from, but do you not believe in exceptions? Do you not believe in helping people out? By not paying the bands £600 to turn up, they could have freed money up to pay for a minibus of kids to come, or some elderly people who want to really celebrate the jubilee! It's just nice to be nice every now and then. And for one, I commend the OP for agreeing to play!

Yours royalistically,

Truckstop