Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Chrome Covers Disappointment

Hobbayne

I kitted out my sunburst Squier P in those lovely shiney covers recently to get that oldey authenticky looke.
Gigged it on Saturday, what a disaster! I was all over the place! Nowhere to put me thumb, I was well out of my comfort zone :(
Do any of you guys play with these on? I may give it another crack, but keep yer eyes on the for sale section. <_<

I play with mine on, but I have a thumbrest rather than a tugbar, so no issues with where to rest the thumb (see sig for pic of bass)
I'm playing reggae, so play up near the neck anyway.

If I were to play a different style, I may consider taking it off, or use it as an excuse to buy a new bass :D

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1334789642' post='1621494']
I kitted out my sunburst Squier P in those lovely shiney covers recently to get that oldey authenticky looke.
Gigged it on Saturday, what a disaster! I was all over the place! Nowhere to put me thumb, I was well out of my comfort zone :(
Do any of you guys play with these on? I may give it another crack, but keep yer eyes on the for sale section. <_<
[/quote]

Did you put them on to match the garden?

Covers look good but are entirely impractical. Which is why modern Fenders don't have them. Or thumbrests/tugbars. Leo thought they were cool, but of course he wasn't a bass player. When I bought my first P bass in 76 the first thing I did was replace the strings with Roto rounds and junk the covers. Which was a mistake obviously, as 76 covers are now valuable! But they weren't in 76... ;)

Edited by discreet

Tried them on my Jazz and they're everywhere I want to be, it results in no thumbrests, no palm muting, no variation in tone depending on where I pick. They couldn't be more useless unless they'd put one over the first 5 frets too.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334828282' post='1621830']
But how do you palm mute..? You don't, is the likely answer I'm guessing!
[/quote]

You're correct there, I don't. I've got a sponge scourer under the pickup cover acting as a DIY mute, so i doubt palm muting as well would make that much more difference. If i really want to mute it a little more, i use my right hand, but that's not often.

Liam

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1334829145' post='1621855']
The first thing 99% of bass players did was to remove the covers. Now you know why!
[/quote]

And that's why those with them on are now considered valuable:
they have not been played!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334829100' post='1621853']
Sponge mute, eh..? *rummages around under sink*
[/quote]

Get rumaging! What i did was cut a strip off lengthways, abour 15-20mm wide, and then cut the rough green bit off at the bottom then just shoved it in the gap, so i can take it out and put it in as and when i need it (or when i think it sounds better)

Liam

I went through a phase of installing a pickup cover on my Highway One P. I found it fine for playing fingerstyle, resting my thumb on the cover itself, and it's nice to rest your hand on when playing with a pick. I did find it got in the way when playing more lively stuff though. If I had a second precision I'd kit it out with pup and bridge covers and flats, just for those special occasions ;)

Precisions look amazing with all the chrome...I've never been a fan of the bridge covers on Jazz basses as they always look way too big.

I had a lovely Squier Precision which I tricked out with chrome, but as I played with a plec, it didn't get in the way.

Try pipe insulation for a cheap mute - I've had one on my Hofner Maccabass for ages. It keeps its shape better and it isn't bright orange or green...

Fine looking Bass BTW...