Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Chrome Covers Disappointment

Hobbayne

They definitely [i]look[/i] better with them on, but I always remove the pickup cover when playing, the bridge cover doesn't stop me doing anything. I don't like the tone much of a bass played at the bridge anyway, sounds dead!

Jameson played with both covers on, and he did ok.

If it stops you playing how you're comfortable though, then they have to go. If its vintage, keep 'em in the case though!

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1334869270' post='1622791']
Fine looking Bass BTW...
[/quote]

Thanks Rushbo, its just a mid 90's Korean Squier with Seymour Duncan vintage SBP1 pickups, a cheapo tort pickguard and tugbar and F****r logo on headstock.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1334875613' post='1622926']
They definitely [i]look[/i] better with them on, but I always remove the pickup cover when playing, the bridge cover doesn't stop me doing anything. I don't like the tone much of a bass played at the bridge anyway, sounds dead!

Jameson played with both covers on, and he did ok.

If it stops you playing how you're comfortable though, then they have to go. If its vintage, keep 'em in the case though!
[/quote]

now this is something I've struggled with.... I had a jazz which came with the bridge cover on. And I set it up for my playing and tried... and not only did the flipping cover get in the way of my picking, the strings tended to hit the cover too as at the time I had quite a high action.
Now Jamerson's legendary high action... must have had an upper limit if he was using the pickup covers....

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1334876889' post='1622958']
now this is something I've struggled with.... I had a jazz which came with the bridge cover on. And I set it up for my playing and tried... and not only did the flipping cover get in the way of my picking, the strings tended to hit the cover too as at the time I had quite a high action.
Now Jamerson's legendary high action... must have had an upper limit if he was using the pickup covers....
[/quote]

You must play with the screws almost falling out the saddles if the strings were hitting it, there should be ample room?? Saying that, the P bridge cover (ala JJ), is much closer to the bridge, the J covers extend to beyond the first pickup, although I've never had a string hit it?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334877106' post='1622969']
I respectfully disagree with you there, sir! :happy:
[/quote]

I'm sure many will. Tone is very much a matter of taste, and my opinion depends largely on the song. Generally speaking though, I've always preferred a more warm, rich tone, with sustain, and not so much the plonky sound, depends on the recording/song i guess. I love John Paul Jones' tone, and he played up near the end of the neck with his Jazz. I tend to play fingerstyle between the pups on a Jazz.

My first bass had daft tension and I just used to hit the strings very hard, and up more than normal. Over the last year i've chilled out a bit!

:daft tension and a bit of a banana neck! I remember now!

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1334877431' post='1622978']
I'm sure many will. Tone is very much a matter of taste, and my opinion depends largely on the song. Generally speaking though, I've always preferred a more warm, rich tone, with sustain, and not so much the plonky sound, depends on the recording/song i guess. I love John Paul Jones' tone, and he played up near the end of the neck with his Jazz. I tend to play fingerstyle between the pups on a Jazz.
[/quote]

theres something about a good funk bass player playing hard over the bridge though. Otherwise I can't stand the classic 'jazz bass, bridge pup for jazz players" sound

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1334877866' post='1622994']
Maybe I play too slowly, and too few notes!!!! <_<
[/quote]

Hmm, maybe it's just cos you're basses are all so old? Maybe like people they slow down over time? Maybe one of these would help you play faster? and slap? !

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1334878133' post='1623000']
Hmm, maybe it's just cos you're basses are all so old? Maybe like people they slow down over time? Maybe one of these would help you play faster? and slap? !
[/quote]

That is my idea of hell!!!

Theres nothing wrong with the response and tone of old basses!!