Why become a member? ×

What's the going rate for a 5 piece covers band

gub

Just reading another thread where it seemed £200 was the going rate for a duo and that's why we are charging for 5 pelf us playing , this is for mostly pubs but we have also done some private party's for about the same , I am always saying to the rest of the guys we should ask more but most of them think this is about right ! What are your guys thoughts ?

I was getting £200 for a 4/5 piece playing pub covers 20 years ago... still getting that now!

Market forces dictate that pubs around here can't pay much more than £200-£250 and many bands are getting £150. Saying that I wouldn't do a Private function for less than £500; nothing to do with the extra work involved in getting to the venue early and soundchecking before a guest is anywhere in sight... I just hate Weddings/Birthdays/Private parties (in fact if I had my way it would be a minimum of £1000 :lol: ).

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1334518038' post='1617159']
I was getting £200 for a 4/5 piece playing pub covers 20 years ago... still getting that now!

Market forces dictate that pubs around here can't pay much more than £200-£250 and many bands are getting £150. [/quote]

Almost exactly the same with me. My band mainly gets £200-£250, sometimes we go out for £150.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1334518038' post='1617159']

Market forces dictate that pubs around here can't pay much more than £200-£250 and many bands are getting £150. Saying that I wouldn't do a Private function for less than £500; nothing to do with the extra work involved in getting to the venue early and soundchecking before a guest is anywhere in sight... I just hate Weddings/Birthdays/Private parties (in fact if I had my way it would be a minimum of £1000 :lol: ).
[/quote]

Exactly correct.

You can charge more but risk charging yourself out of the market so you have to know what the market rate tends to be.

We do a couple of pubs at £200 as we try and support them as friends as much as anything else and they are good venues for us.
We only play 5 pubs anyway IIRC, and use them as free advertising
Parties start at £500 alho mates rates are cheaper as the one whose mate it is generally waives his fee..
Weddings start at £900 for basically a 2x1 hr set ..we don't play longer than that ever
and also I don't really want to do functions anyway...

[quote name='Benplaysbass' timestamp='1334524697' post='1617293']
Its a bit of a different scene over here as they don't really have the pub culture so its more cafe bars and restaurants. We normally charge a minimum of €350 going up to €500, but weddings are €1000.
[/quote]

Same here and on average this year we're 450€ for the 5 piece, plus a meal and drinks.This probably sounds expensive compared to the UK pub gigs but over here you can end up playing for a lot longer if they think they can get away with it.

You need to stick to the best prices the market allows. Our view is "We'll play for nothing (charity gigs) but we won't play for 200€" All you'll do is give yourself a reputation for playing cheap.

Pubs around here just aren't paying the same now.
A few years ago you would get minumum £200 for a pub gig, heading towards £300
Now pubs only want to pay £150!
Problem is, years ago 20 pubs 20 bands, everyone got a gig. Now 10 pubs and 20 bands....the pubs can dictate to prices, supply and demand I suppose!

[quote name='Jambo10' timestamp='1334526635' post='1617335']
Pubs around here just aren't paying the same now.
A few years ago you would get minumum £200 for a pub gig, heading towards £300
Now pubs only want to pay £150!
Problem is, years ago 20 pubs 20 bands, everyone got a gig. Now 10 pubs and 20 bands....the pubs can dictate to prices, supply and demand I suppose!
[/quote]

Yep, it's a buyer's market.
There's a pub in Derby that offers £50 for 2 hours of music on a Sunday night[i] and [/i]requests that acts bring at least 20 people in 'to ensure the likelyhood of further bookings'. It's a nice place, and has a decent (small) in-house PA. They have no lack of takers at that fee, and some of them are pretty good.

Pub gigs are, and always have been, a place for you to showcase and hone your giging skills. A place where you can invite prospective punters to see you and get yourselves known.

I try to aim for £10 an hour per person from the time you leave your house till when you get in.

So an easy local pub turn up,set up, play and go home could be £50-£80 a person.

Parties start getting expensive as it's not unusual to leave the house at 3pm and be home at 3am.

One of the pubs my band played at, who regularly paid us £300 when we played, even though the set fee was £200, admitted they did so because we generated high revenue over the bar. £5000 of revenue that is. I like this way of doing things - tell a band they definitely get £200, but pay them more if the pub has a good night on the tills.

Another place we play prints out an EPOS till receipt, and gives you a set percentage of the bar takings.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1334561089' post='1617463']
The number of people in a band have no impact on what the band should be paid unfortunately. They're paying per show rather than per person :)
[/quote]

Yes indeed but most pubs IME won't pay the same for a duo as they do for a band.....

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1334561860' post='1617472']
Yes indeed but most pubs IME won't pay the same for a duo as they do for a band.....
[/quote]

That's true, moral? Don't tell them you're a duo when doing the booking :P

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1334562052' post='1617475']
That's true, moral? Don't tell them you're a duo when doing the booking :P
[/quote]

I like your style..... I'm putting together a set for a new duo at the moment. We are going to call ourselves 'The Herrington Jazz Trio' and charge a premium.... :D

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1334563392' post='1617493']
I like your style..... I'm putting together a set for a new duo at the moment. We are going to call ourselves 'The Herrington Jazz Trio' and charge a premium.... :D
[/quote]

You might want to leave "Jazz" out of it too ;)

Most pub gigs tend to be the £180 - 200 mark nowadays (if you're getting more, you're doing really well). If you're doing a private function, I don't think it would be unreasonable to charge £300 - 500, depending on the budget they're willing to go to, & if you have to go quite a distance, factor in all your additional costs.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1334556990' post='1617437']
One of the pubs my band played at, who regularly paid us £300 when we played, even though the set fee was £200, admitted they did so because we generated high revenue over the bar. £5000 of revenue that is. I like this way of doing things - tell a band they definitely get £200, but pay them more if the pub has a good night on the tills.

Another place we play prints out an EPOS till receipt, and gives you a set percentage of the bar takings.
[/quote]

We don't mind doing this sort of deal if the LL or venue think they are taking a risk and it gets us in the door of a new place....
..but our bottom line is £200 whatever