Why become a member? ×

BBC 4 TONIGHT 9.00PM TO 12.45AM

steantval

Thanks for that. I don't watch much telly these days but I've booked a place on the sofa tonight. :D

Looking forward to seeing the Marshall Tucker Band. I seem to have missed them first time around but someone here (Burritobass?) mentioned them a while back and I've been enjoying catching up.

Missed half of first programme. Will probably watch over weekend. However, I'm watching a compilation of various acts.
Very hit and miss. More miss tbh. Is that Justin lee Collins in a white suit??
Jim Dandy ( Dave Lee Roth ripped him off somewhat) Rambling man??. Something your grandad would play when he comes home from the pub.awful country stuff. Where's the rock?

Hmm. Not as good as I was hoping, but I got through it all by dozing off a few times on the sofa. :D

The thing that really struck home though (I don't know why, since it's not exactly news) is how much has changed in just 50 years and the dreadful social situation in the southern states in my own lifetime. A sober reminder indeed.

Practically Southern Rocked myself into a coma. Wet Willie were pretty funky, though.
Seemed to be a preponderance of Les Pauls and Fender Ps, y'all...

With the exception of the Allman Brothers Band, didn't feel too inspired by any of it, tbh... another time, another place.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334407090' post='1615783']
Practically Southern Rocked myself into a coma. Wet Willie were pretty funky, though.
Seemed to be a preponderance of Les Pauls and Fender Ps, y'all...

With the exception of the Allman Brothers Band, didn't feel too inspired by any of it, tbh... another time, another place.
[/quote]
Was Wet Willie the band with the sax-playing singer? They were interesting, quite 'black' for an area known for opposing the abolition of slavery ;) :P

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1334413447' post='1615914']
....Was Wet Willie the band with the sax-playing singer? They were interesting, quite 'black' for an area known for opposing the abolition of slavery....[/quote]

The southern R&B musicians were the least racist people below the Mason Dixon Line.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1334413447' post='1615914']
Was Wet Willie the band with the sax-playing singer?
They were interesting, quite 'black' for an area known for opposing the abolition of slavery ;) :P
[/quote]

Yes... and head and shoulders above the interminable guitar-twiddling of their peers, imho.
Here they are playing Central City Park in Macon in 1973. Apologies for dodgy sound quality:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mNfnTjWTOg[/media]

Can't help feeling they would have been much more successful had they been called something else! :lol:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1334415032' post='1615944']
The southern R&B musicians were the least racist people below the Mason Dixon Line.
[/quote]

I know, I was only kidding Chris :) They were very good to their roadies :P

Edited by silddx

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334415207' post='1615945']
Yes... and head and shoulders above the interminable guitar-twiddling of their peers, imho.

Can't help feeling they would have been much more successful had they been called something else! :lol:
[/quote]
Oh god, the rest of what I saw was stultifying. Awful. But I did get strong feelings of nostagia. Every song sounded the same.