Why become a member? ×

Seriously thinking of buying a head weighing 77lbs....

franzbassist

For that sort of money, have you considered the lightweight options?

There's Kampera KVB800 (which is only a couple of hundred more than the Ashdown & weighs 12.7 kg) & the MarkBass TTE500 (which is cheaper, lighter still at 6 kg & looks similar to the BTA) to name just two.

Bear in mind you can't compare this to hybrids with a valve preamp and SS power. That ABM pre has a valve in anyway, which is as much as other hybrids have in the pre section. Going 'all valve' would jsut be removing stuff like the EQ, which you can't really do with valves, active valve EQ like on the MK4 Sound Citys isn't that well thought of.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1334325610' post='1614598']
Thanks for all the replies folks. Well, I love the tone from my LB30, so perhaps the Drophead 200 would be a better match for me than the BTA anyway....
[/quote]

Cheap out option for more volume same tone is a dummy load and running the DI out into a power amp. But yeah, the BTA is the one for ABM options on a valve power section. There is one in the line with the simple preamp an valve power though.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1334326328' post='1614626']
Cheap out option for more volume same tone is a dummy load and running the DI out into a power amp. But yeah, the BTA is the one for ABM options on a valve power section. There is one in the line with the simple preamp an valve power though.
[/quote]

I would do this. You can get a decent power amp for a few hundred quids and then have 'all valve' with a crap tone of power for very little weight gain.
Other option is that little bastard 550 thing.........

I made one for amp testing work: [url="http://ampstack.wordpress.com/2012/01/07/assembling-the-dummy-load/"]http://ampstack.word...the-dummy-load/[/url]

there is some mojo about inductive loads and stuff, which make a difference to 'tone'. How much that matters is a whole other thing. Being 30w, it isn't a huge deal to get a guitar one. loads about, no idea what is good, as with all guitar stuff, the internet is full of too much BS to learn much useful.

Edited by Mr. Foxen