Why become a member? ×

I want to go down to just one bass!

paul j h

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1333832983' post='1607251']
If you're going to have only one bass ....... it has to be a USA Fender Precision. Don't accept any imitations. Fake is fake. Get a real one.
[/quote]
or a japanese one which will play nicer. :)

though I like the american vintage range, they are nice.

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1333832983' post='1607251']
If you're going to have only one bass ....... it has to be a USA Fender Precision. Don't accept any imitations. Fake is fake. Get a real one.
[/quote]to be honest, there's nothing that says to me that a USA Fender is a "real" one. they might have originally been the [i]first[/i] one, but that doesn't mean that all the others are fake. it's like saying that all the classic Disney movies are fake.

[quote name='heminder' timestamp='1333842414' post='1607360']
to be honest, there's nothing that says to me that a USA Fender is a "real" one. they might have originally been the [i]first[/i] one, but that doesn't mean that all the others are fake. it's like saying that all the classic Disney movies are fake.
[/quote]

I think some of the Disney films are fake. In some parts of the films, Donald Duck looks like a [i]drawing[/i]!

Unfunny joking aside, I agree. First does not mean best and does not mean others cannot also be original. Nevertheless, if I were to go down to one bass, I would choose my Warmoth Jazz V as it does all types of music and has the B string. But I couldn't do it. I play two very different types of music and my Warmoth does not cover what my Ibanez SR1205 does. The SR1205 does metal very well but not so much other styles of music; hence, I "need" both of them.

Good luck in your quest, paul j h!

Given your budget, you can get into very special territory - I know that a J is not necessarily on the agenda but it's worth a look at Celinder, Alleva and Sadowsky (Js, Ps or PJs). Sadowsky is doing a monthly special super-instrument (take a look at this month's model - wow!). Celinders are outrageously good instruments, as are Alleva - I don't play long-scale any more but pulled the AC out of its case yesterday and just smiled for an hour - I'd forgotten just how good a hand-built super J can be. Good luck - could be a fun journey!

Well here is my 2ds worth, I feel the same as you that having just one bass mite be the way forward. Somthing that becomes one with you and that you know beter than your best friend. I have bought and sold a fair few basses over the last few years some coz i liked the look some i liked the feel and some the sound. I recently bought a short scale squire coz it was pretty, mainly to just hang on the wall. Having bought it i couldent put it on the wall without trying it out so i pluged it in n you know what I loved it even though the sound was a little cheap n the eq a waste of time but what i discovered was Short scales. I quickly decided i wanted a quality shorty n started looking anyway to cut a long story down, I soon came across Landing basses.I now have an L1 hand made and there aint another just the same anywhere. anyway what im trying to say is keep an open mind, you have some cool basses but mabe what your looking for is somthing a little different. Try a few of the shops that spicalise in custom basses (my fav is BassDirect in warwick) check out what they carry they have a great website and the owner is a great guy. He was the one that planted the idea in my head about just one, and he was rite on the money.
Anyway good luck with your quest
PS I have GAS for another Landing now i have one :gas:

Just remember, and I hate to do the cliche thing and quote Oscar Wilde, but:

'There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.'

Just beware of GAS. I mistook wanting 'THE BASS' for actually wanting to learn to play ANY BASS 'better'. :)

Also, perhaps there isn't such a thing? Different basses, different sounds, styles etc etc. Depends if you're wanting one bass to cover every base, or if you're wanting one bass to cover a couple of bases that you're involved with.

Edited by TheButler

I am not going to suggest a brand, but more of what you might want in the bass.

I suggest going with an active electronics system with passive mode, possibly something with Bartolini humbuckers that the coils are split so you can choose a number of configurations. If you have only one bass, normally it should be as versatile as you can get. For a long time I had a Lightwave Sabre bass as my only bass for that reason.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1333523831' post='1602734']
I realise a lot of folk are recommending some form of 'uber' Jazz but to my mind you've had some very good basses of that ilk and they aren't doing it for you; I'd look outside of the Fender (clone) camp!
[/quote]

I was thinking this exact thing. If you've had a variety of jazzes and not found "the one", then they might not suit you.

If I were in your shoes, I'd do a few things.

Get out to every shop you can. If you go somewhere for a day, get to any local music shops. Try every bass you can get your mitts on, especially try all the different types (P, J, Ray, actives, passives, diffferent pickup configs etc etc) as much as possible so you can try and narrow down what it is you actually want.

Once you've done that, don't be afraid to buy second hand from here, I've had quite a few basses ranging from £600-1000 bought and sold on here and I've lost bits on some and made bits on others depending on the market (yes, I know that making a profit isn't the "done thing", but I'm happy to sell some on cheaper when the market moves so I don't see it being a problem making a few quid on others when the market goes the other way). On average I'm about breaking even (minus the value of my current basses of course) so it's unlikely you'll lose a lot of money. This lets you try out basses for a good period of time and in the environment you'll be using them in with your own gear.

Do NOT go custom. As others have said, it sounds like you don't know what you want. If you throw money at a custom build and don't like it, you've lost at least half your money instantly.

Get yourself to bass events. LBGS (which has just passed), bass bashes, ask people that have instruments you want to try if you can have a play etc. Many people on here won't mind you popping around and having a twang on their bass if you're not putting them out.

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1333467705' post='1602148']
....I currently have 4 basses, but only play at home, i have no immediate plans to gig etc....
[/quote]

Paul, you don't need another bass, you need to join a band.

Play a lot of basses until you find 'the one', or at least a company/luthier that you would be confident to build you it. Given you already have a few basses that could easily be 'the one' for somebody else, I would be wary of getting rid of them while your search is ongoing.

It really depends on whether 'special' for you equates to a hefty pricetag, amazing build quality, great feature, or an instrument that you pick up that just feels like home. If you are lucky a bespoke custom bass will do that but it is never a guarantee.

I love all my basses, but my 'one' is a beat up late 1970s Fender Precision. Its a vastly inferior bass in terms of build quality and features to my other basses, but it would be the last possession I'd sell.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1334191195' post='1612480']
It really depends on whether 'special' for you equates to a hefty pricetag, amazing build quality, great feature, or an instrument that you pick up that just feels like home. If you are lucky a bespoke custom bass will do that but it is never a guarantee.
[/quote]

This is a good point. For your £1000 you can add, you could probably find a bass that fits like a glove. There's plenty of good basses out there for under £500 that might be just want you want.

If you don't intend to gig, then go down to one bass, if you must. I used to be a 'one bass man' when I was young until my Status' jack socket sh*t it on a gig one night!!

And, if you're anything like the rest of us, if you go down to one bass you'll eventually started to covet another one!! :)

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1334191195' post='1612480']
I love all my basses, but my 'one' is a beat up late 1970s Fender Precision. Its a vastly inferior bass in terms of build quality and features to my other basses, but it would be the last possession I'd sell.
[/quote]

Same for me, my 77 Precision just feels "right" whenever I pick it up. My other basses are good, as is virtually every other Precision I`ve picked up, but that 77 just tops them all. I`ve only had it since Sept last year, but already I realise it is "The One".