Why become a member? ×

School boy errors at gigs - my worst was last night

Cat Burrito

A full page already Tim, so you are not alone :)

I don't trust my memory these days and so I have a gig/rehearsal requirement tick list on the computer. I print two copies off on the day of gig.

One for the load in.

The other one goes in the car so that I can give it the once over before driving home post gig.

So far its saved me from forgetting anything, I started doing this when I left a bass in a pub after a gig.

Once had a guitarist who painstakenly tuned his guitar before going onstage, and then got the headstock stuck in a curtain. Expertly detuned, he then tuned it open-mouthed infront of the 800+ crowd whilst encouraging me and the drummer to tell them jokes so they wouldn't get bored.

Biggest gig I've done - open air to 2-3k people, forgot to leave my amp on standby; fortunately it's a solid state so didn't need ages to power up, but the first 5-10 seconds of 'big jam intro' were rather quiet on the low frequencies.

Also, as above with plugging in pedals the wrong way round, I keep getting my FX send and return mixed up and every time I swear to myself I wont do it.....

I've loaned a bass to a player who'd forgotten to bring their own.
Played with someone who after two years discovered that their digital tuner was set to A 442.
I know of (another forum member) who drove home 50miles from a gig only to realize that he'd left his bass behind.

I'm so paranoid about forgetting stuff at gigs that I too am a list maker, I also have a suitcase of leads etc that includes a spare everything + kitchen sink.
My personal schoolboy error is to stand on my lead and unplug myself mid song.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1333454105' post='1601835']
Snapping a string whilst tuning, on stage, infront of about 300 people, just before we started our set.... Thankfully, i didn't actually NEED that bass, i just used it to make my life a little easier, and could just throw it in a corner and grab my 5 string and singers capo.

Liam
[/quote]

Why would you need to borrow a capo,especially if you are using a five string?

I've snapped a bunch of strings when only using one bass.....It's no problem to readjust and play on 3 or 4strings until the break,when I can put a new one on-it just needs a little more thinking and a few more shifts.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1333456286' post='1601904']
Why would you need to borrow a capo,especially if you are using a five string?

I've snapped a bunch of strings when only using one bass.....It's no problem to readjust and play on 3 or 4strings until the break,when I can put a new one on-it just needs a little more thinking and a few more shifts.
[/quote]

Lazyness, and the bass was tuned in 1 step down, it was only for the first 4 songs and i normally swapped to my 5 after that, just used the down tuned 4 string because it made learning songs a bit easier. Playing in E Standard, Drop D, D Standard and Drop C is a ballache and a half, glad we don't anymore.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

I don't make lists, but before I leave the house I do stand very still for a moment and imagine a flow chart, thus:

GIG BAG > STRAP > PICKS > BASS > SPARE STRINGS > TUNER > LEAD > FX > LEAD > AMP > AMP BAG > FUSES > MAINS CABLE > SPEAKER CABLE > CAB > CAB STAND > BASS STAND > TOOLS > WALLET > KEYS > PHONE > SPARE PANTS > TISSUES > DENTAL FLOSS > MOIST WIPES > WATER BOTTLE.

Done. :lol:

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1333456573' post='1601912']
. Playing in E Standard, Drop D, D Standard and Drop C is a ballache and a half, glad we don't anymore.
[/quote]

But,all the lower notes in all those tunings are available on a standard tuned 5 string?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1333456984' post='1601920']
I don't make lists, but before I leave the house I do stand very still for a moment and imagine a flow chart, thus:

GIG BAG > STRAP > PICKS > BASS > SPARE STRINGS > TUNER > LEAD > FX > LEAD > AMP > AMP BAG > FUSES > MAINS CABLE > SPEAKER CABLE > CAB > CAB STAND > BASS STAND > TOOLS > WALLET > KEYS > PHONE > SPARE PANTS > TISSUES > DENTAL FLOSS > MOIST WIPES > WATER BOTTLE.

Done. :lol:
[/quote]

You forgot the dark glasses so that you can leer at women in the audience. Or in the band.

Worst one I've ever done was for one of the biggest gigs my last band had done (for which we provided the pa and did the sound etc.) Went OTT making sure we had spare leads and separating everything out into individual bags (don't ask why! i've never done this before) arrived there un-packed everything set everything (physically) up ..then realised I'd forgotten the bag with ALL the kettle leads in it!! Thankfully the organiser worked in an office near the venue so me and him dashed there and ripped the kettle leads out of all the computers we could find! Proper 'brown pants' moment though .. the trip home and back would have taken up half of the gig! DOH.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1333457160' post='1601928']
You forgot the dark glasses so that you can leer at women in the audience. Or in the band.
[/quote]

I'm allowed to look at the audience! :lol: And I stand behind the girls, so they can't see me leering.*

[size=2]* They know I'm doing it, though.[/size]

This happened in Italy around 20 years ago.
The bass player in my then partner's band (hair metal, as in VH/GnR/Poison etc.) forgot his bass at home; we were all in the band van, approaching the motorway just after leaving town. So we turn back and drive to the guy's home. We get the bass (a Rickenbacker I won't easily forget!), then leave his driveway to make our way out of town again, only to be stopped by the police. They had seen five long-haired, leather-clad guys accompanied by three poodle-permed girls wearing skimpy tops, leather miniskirts, stilettos and fishnets. Their minds clearly went: DRUGS! PROSTITUTION!! GET THE BASTIDS, NOW!!! :lol:

In the event, nobody was carrying any weed or stuff, and we girls all were the very legitimate, long-suffering partners of said musicians. We got to the gig in the end, just in time. Bless. :D

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1333452384' post='1601791']
I've forgotten my bass before now. The worst one was probably the time I forgot we even had a gig - my mobile rang just as our food arrived...
[/quote]

I recall a Saturday evening when I was led on the sofa watching World Cup football when I got a phone call from my drummer - we were supposed to be gigging and I'd completely forgotten about it! Had to haul ass to get there on time! :blush: :blush:

Another gig (not me this time), we'd driven to the venue (about 85 miles away from home) and the drummer sheepishly admitted he'd left his snare at home! :blush: Thankfully, one of the bar staff played and agreed to loan him his. :lol:

I use my pickup selector on my V as a killswitch, and recently played an entire song wondering why I couldn't hear anything. I just presumed it was the DI box I was using, seeing as it was the venue's. Sound guy came up on stage, we spent a good couple of minutes trying to figure it out. Looked down at the bass as I was unplugging it to check the cable and... yeah... Well done genius. >.<

Luckily there were only a couple of people milling around so not many people saw.

Saw an interview with Marcus Miller, can't remember the exact details but something along the lines of him flying into Tokyo and going to the gig, his crew have sorted everything except sound checking his bass, why's that he asks? Because you took it back home after the last gig..... It's a small gig and he doesn't have a spare (seems hard to believe) and says at this point Marcus Miller on stage in Japan without a bass is totally worthless. He then breaks into an apologetic tap dancing routine to illustrate the point.

So he has to do the gig on a borrowed bass an audience member brought in to be autographed.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1333458303' post='1601956']
Saw an interview with Marcus Miller, can't remember the exact details but something along the lines of him flying into Tokyo and going to the gig, his crew have sorted everything except sound checking his bass, why's that he asks? Because you took it back home after the last gig..... It's a small gig and he doesn't have a spare (seems hard to believe) and says at this point Marcus Miller on stage in Japan without a bass is totally worthless. He then breaks into an apologetic tap dancing routine to illustrate the point.

So he has to do the gig on a borrowed bass an audience member brought in to be autographed.
[/quote]
He tells that story on the 'Master of All Trades' DVD.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1333457012' post='1601924']
But,all the lower notes in all those tunings are available on a standard tuned 5 string?
[/quote]

Indeed they are, i was just lazy back then, i still am now, but i only play in Standard and occasionally venture to Drop D so i don't need my 5 string anymore with that band.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

I once plugged my cab into the effects return jack of my amp and spent a frustrating few minutes (which seemed like an eternity) checking everything else before realising what the problem was, what a wally. Won't do that again, using speakons now :)

Edited by neepheid