Why become a member? ×

Strings

GregBass

I have started up playing again after a long break, and I'm amazed at how string technology has leapt forward. Back in the day, the choice was Rotosound or not Rotosound.

So which strings do you guys use? I am looking for something with depth and a real clang.

Newtone Diamond custom winds for me.

Very clean looking string, feels great and not too bright out of the pack which means they last a very long time...ie any dull-off is not really noticable so far.
I've had a set on since xmas..which is eons for me... and they stil perform. In the same time my La Bella Super steps which is also a great string for me and probably a brighter string out the box.. have dulled significantly
and I HAVE to change them this week.

I am convinced that some makers have downgraded the metal content which is why I've spent the last two years trying all sorts.. Admittedly it is still a theory, but ..????

DRs. Newtone are pretty good too for about a tenner a set less, but don't seem to last as long. You can buy DRs in bulk from the States - but if you get hit for import taxes the savings aren't all that great.

To my ears, the DRs (and especially the fatbeams) seem to have more midrange. They feel good to my fingers too, smoother than the Newtones and MUCH smoother than rotos. D'Addarios are nice too and I used Elites for years. Three is plenty of choice. Try [url="http://www.stringbusters.com/"]stringbusters[/url] or [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/"]stringsdirect[/url]...

Expect lots of different answers!

I spent 10 years or so using DR strings and I still think they are the best, but recently I was recommended Dunlop Nickels which I've found are very good. They are mellower and feel nice to play. They don't last as long as the DR's but they work well on my PJ5 bass.

I still think nothing sounds like Rotos if that's your thing, I always have them on at least one bass and I just love ripping away with them.

But for good solid tone and long life, I haven't found anything better than DRs. I like the Lo Riders a lot, but have been using mostly their Neons and Extra Life coated strings on my gigging Ps. They just keep their sound forever and come pretty much pre-EQed if you don't need super zingy highs.

They really seem to have gotten it right with each different set- the High Beams are a slapper's delight, the Lo-Riders are rock monsters, and the nickels all have the sweetest mids and are very well balanced. I used the Dunlop nickels for a little while and thought they were fine, but when I put DRs back on I never looked back.

[quote name='GregHughes' timestamp='1333019567' post='1596205']
I'm loving the D'addario ProSteels on my jazz bass. Nice and punchy but also light to play.
[/quote]

As I said on the other thread I've just moved to these and am liking them on the Precision a lot. Nice and cheap compared to DRs. I loved DR Black Beauties. But the last few sets with the 'improved' coating have died really quickly and the G strings went dead in days. It's put me off them.
It's a pity I can't get the pro steels in black. They look so much better.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use Ernie Ball Slinkys but the strings would sound dead after a couple of gigs and I'd snap one not long after that. I now use DR Hi-Beams and the difference is incredible! If you order them from America you can get them for around £20 a set.

[quote name='CBbass' timestamp='1333912878' post='1608205']
I've been using DR Hi Beams, going to try DR Lo-Rider next because the Hi's are too bright for my taste. Great quality so I'm sticking with DR strings though :).
[/quote]

Have you considered Fat Beams? Once the zing has worn off somewhat they are really quite thumpy, and get more so as they age. I had a set on a 76P and they were excellent. Forget about the Marcus Miller association - it means nothing! :)

Edited by discreet

Here's my advice.

Pick a manufacturer. Stick with them a try a range of their strings. Then when you find that light gauge nickel (or whatever) is your thing, then you can try other manufacturers light gauge nickels. That way you stand a chance of finding Your string!

It's taken me 32 years to find my string - they happen to be DR Sunbeams. It's no good asking for advice - you need to start the journey.

Peace
Davo