Why become a member? ×

Dingwall - anyone not like them?

Sean

I've played a couple of Dingwall basses and I must admit I've been very impressed and not found the fanned fret thing to be alien at all.

Is there anyone that has played one and really not liked it? I'd like to understand why that was.

Leland Sklar sold most of his basses after switching to Dingwall but seems to have kept hold of some of his Yamaha BBs. Maybe that's a sentimental thing, I dunno.

Has anyone that has bought one been fully converted and sold all their conventional basses as a result?

As much as I see the benefit of the design and as much as I love technology I think that the aesthetic of them is a major stumbling block for me.

Should I keep my BBs or go Dingwall?

That's a rhetorical question obviously ;-)

I've just got one after a long search (4s are hen's teeth secondhand :) ) and while I'm selling a few of my other basses (mostly to pay for it - skint at the mo) I wouldn't necessarily move to an all-Dingwall collection. I guess it helps that I love the look of them, but mine is just so damn practical (first gig with it this weekend, and I'm looking forward to a 7lb 9oz bass round my neck for a couple of hours instead of 9-10lbers) and nice to play that it's a keeper.

I've still got other 'keepers' - but now I think about it, they're mostly low-value, high-sentimentality basses: the Fenderbird, the FrankenP/J, the modded Fortress.

I played a passive Dingwall 5 string at Bass Direct and was left thinking, "what CAN'T this bass do?" however it didn't feel like "me".

It started me thinking that maybe in 20 years or so everyone will be using a fanned fret, multi-scale instrument. Some of the benefits are undeniable when you take the laws if physics and the constraints of manufacturing into consideration.

I have 3 of them, but still keep my traditional parallel fretted basses as in my signature pic.

To be honest before Dingwall for me it was EB Music Man all the way, and yes I have sold them all but not because it was a complete u-turn, forget the fanned fret thing, to me at least, the sound capabilities of the Dingwalls made me feel unsatisfied when playing my Ernie Ball basses (Stingray 5 / Big Al 5 / Bongo 5 & 25th Anniv. 5) as they all sounded like indonesian cheap copies in comparison and I am not kidding, the Low B alone and the perfect pitch throughout the entire length of the scale is what makes all the difference, the fan fret is something you never think twice about it if I was to hand one to you to play a whole gig, you will never feel out of place and my good friend swansbrook (Dave) did just that. From never having played one before to play a whole gig with one of mine on loan. Ask him if he even noticed the fret were wonky :D

I've tried a few. Getting used to the fan-frets was trivial - less than a minute and I didn't really notice them, however if you're into chords played high up the neck I'd want to check that you can still do that first.

However I couldn't get a sound I liked out of them compared to my Gus and Overwater basses so I haven't actually bought one.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1332420104' post='1587997']
Leland Sklar sold most of his basses after switching to Dingwall but seems to have kept hold of some of his Yamaha BBs. Maybe that's a sentimental thing, I dunno.
[/quote]
Is that why he's doing adverts and clinics for Warwick? :P

I tried one for the first time in December (think it was an ABZ?). Now, I am have always liked the thinking behind the fanned-fret design and it seems perfectly logical that the bass should intonate better, have better string tension and feel more ergonomic under the left hand. I went into the trial completely open minded, and fully expecting to love it.

But I didn't.

I was impressed with how light it was, and how good it sounded (i was amazed how sonically versatile it was for a passive bass!). I had two problems with the fanned frets though; despite really wanting to like it (and trying it for quite a while), I just couldn't get on with them. It was like being a beginner again, my left hand felt really awkward and un-coordinated, and it felt like much harder work. I'm sure I could get used to it with enough time and practice, but it did kind of put me off. The other issue for me was that the string tension and intonation was almost too good. It just felt and sounded a bit clinical and sterile. I know that it's technically better, but I guess it's just what my ears have got used to over the years. I guess the imperfections and nuances of traditional bass design have featured on pretty well any record I've ever heard. Same sort of reason that loads of people dig the sound of a P bass, despite there being much more advanced design instruments out there. The other weird thing was that the fretted notes seemed to decay really quickly, the sustain wasn't very good. I checked the setup, and there was no fret buzz or choking notes....... weird.

Anyway, this was just my thoughts after trying one. It was kind of a good thing in a way, because it killed any Dingwall GAS I may have had!

I'll be behind the sofa with a saucepan on my head............ :D

I tried and decided against buying one. Couldn't put my finger on why exactly, the sound was great, it was comfortable to play, didn't look bad in the flesh I guess, right price, just didn't click for me. Then I've played plenty of expensive and well crafted basses that haven't inspired me so it doesn't say anything about them in particular.

I'm a recent convert. Though I can't think they are for everybody.

I've found the attraction to be that the overall bass, not just the fanned-fret design, ticks so many boxes. Of course the mixed scale length is very significant, but it's a combination of amazing sound, fantastic playability, light weight and appealing aesthetics that have won me over.

I don't think I'd sell everything and replace with Dingwalls - I couldn't afford it for a start! - but for what I do now, an ABI or another ABZ to go with the one I've got seems like the perfect bass arsenal.