Why become a member? ×

Bad bassist??

Townes1992

[quote name='Townes1992' timestamp='1331390053' post='1572239']
Thanks for the advice thus far, yeah i think measuring yourself against people you know or artists you hear is a big problem of it, its difficult to escape i guess, what with some less considerate people judging styles and sounds and gear etc
[/quote]
Well, stop right there because some famous names aren't the guys you should be comparing yourself to. they might not not be so great anyway and often aren't, but chances are you are thinking that 4 years is a lot of time
to have put in..?? Well, it isn't, unless you have poured in hours per day everyday.

As a fledgling player, I'd think you need to put in a consistant 1 hr per day bare minimum to start maiking strides.and you need to keep this up...
Maybe you might be able to devise a plan to practice and learn and keep to it to improve.

Rome isn't built in a day and therefore you shouldn't beat yourself up too much..but then only you knows how much time you put in

Thanks for the advice thus far, yeah i think measuring yourself against people you know or artists you hear is a big problem of it, its difficult to escape i guess, what with some less considerate people judging styles and sounds and [b]gear[/b] etc
[/quote]

Anyone who's judging you on your gear is a shallow, dimwitted tw@t and should be ignored. On everything.

I am very limited technically but I can play in time and hit the right notes (most of the time anyway :rolleyes: ). I don`t really care if I can`t paly as well as someone else, I can get by. I enjoy myself, the guys I play with think I`m ok and at the end of the day that`s what matters.

Oh and I can`t slap and frankly couldn`t care less.

Jez

Thanks for the advice thus far, yeah i think measuring yourself against people you know or artists you hear is a big problem of it, its difficult to escape i guess, what with some less considerate people judging styles and sounds and gear etc
[/quote]

That's a real problem if you can't seperate 'you' from what you're hearing.

Whilst having reliable equipment that you are comfortable with is incredibly important, owning a Geddy Lee signature bass is certainly not going to make you sound like Geddy Lee (whoever the f*ck Geddy Lee is... :lol:).
Give Geddy Lee my equipment and he will still end up sounding like Geddy Lee.

Give me his equipment and I'll still end up sounding like Ian Castle - and I'm perfectly happy with that.
Music is the one piece of partial arrogance I've allowed myself to retain - I'm not interested in being a Jaco clone, a King accolyte or a Clarke copy.

I'm just me being me the best that I can.

Ten years ago I got to a stage where I was an 'okay' bass player. I'd plateaued and had no motivation to improve. My attitude changed a couple of years ago and since then I've put the time in and I feel I'm a lot better now than I was before.

If you feel that you're not great but you want to be better, then you will be. You'll put the time in, listening to bassists you admire and aspire to play like and put in the time playing your bass, rehearsing and practising to achieve that goal.

If I were you I'd spend time listening to tunes you like with with great basslines so that you know what you're aiming for. Then sit down and learn them note perfect (no sloping off for a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit when it gets to the difficult bit).

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1331393842' post='1572325']
But what do you do when you're in a music shop at the weekend and you want to impress the spotty teenage boys and the mummies and daddies out to buy a Daisy Rock guitar for their precious little Trixiebell?
[/quote]

Get your instrument out, grab it firmly by the neck and wave it under their noses.

I think i put in a fair bit of practice, i mean, i will openly admit it hasn't been 4 solid years of playing, there have been a couple spells when i havent played much at all for whatever reason, but as of the last several months i've been going at it pretty hard everyday and sometimes the improvement feels limited. Evidently not enough practice i guess!

I do find myself trying to replicate certain sounds, and they always come off terrible haha! Maybe i'm not wholly satisfied with my individual playing style, i'd love to be able to play with an aggressive rock and roll swagger or a smooth, skilled jazz artist, but i can't ever make that sound!

Oh and i'm pretty rubbish at slapping to so at least a few of us are in the same boat haha!

Its great to hear that some of you guys found ways to get out of this mood and learnt to be happy with your own playing though :)

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1331393842' post='1572325'] But what do you do when you're in a music shop at the weekend and you want to impress the spotty teenage boys and the mummies and daddies out to buy a Daisy Rock guitar for their precious little Trixiebell? [/quote]

Whenever I pick up my Hello Kitty bass, I suddenly feel ... like having a nap, or scratching upholstered furniture.

I frequently feel inadequate, but that is almost always because at that moment my playing[i] is[/i] inadequate; and when I correct that, I play better. Really, for me, it's just a matter of keeping it basic until I can move on to something more complicated or subtle. When I rush it, I usually fall down.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1331391479' post='1572282']

If you can't slap you ain't worth a f*** :D
[/quote]

This is why I never try basses in shops. I don't have the Saturday Shopping Thumb. I'd have been lost, bewildered and confused, at the LBGS 2012.

[quote name='Townes1992' timestamp='1331398706' post='1572414']
I think i put in a fair bit of practice, i mean, i will openly admit it hasn't been 4 solid years of playing, there have been a couple spells when i havent played much at all for whatever reason, but as of the last several months i've been going at it pretty hard everyday and sometimes the improvement feels limited. Evidently not enough practice i guess!
[/quote]

Four years of playing isn't a huge amount of time to be fair.
I'm on year 32 now and still find things that I struggle with. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331399244' post='1572427']
[/quote]

Heh. I'm on year 38. But there are others on here with far more years than that under their belts.
Well it looks like it's under their belts - judging by the bulging waistlines. Ha, ha.
...I'll get me enormous coat.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331399244' post='1572427']
Four years of playing isn't a huge amount of time to be fair.
[/quote]

I would go with this. Been playing about the same time as icastle and there are still plenty of things out there that i struggle to play.

Doesnt make me feel bad though, inspires me to learn how to do them.

As a few have said, confidence is a huge part of how well you do play and how well it comes across to others. If you feel a bit crappy or unsure of what you are doing your playing will come across to others like that. If you play like you dont give a f**k what others think, usually (not always!) it`ll come across as supremely confident and sound pretty good too, providing you dont play "too" many bum notes.

I'm nowhere near as good as I'd like to be. However, I seem to be adequate enough to play in a couple of bands and, between them, play about 20 gigs each year - though nothing particularly fancy, but I can dream. Our audiences always seem to be pretty complimentary though, and not - I think - just out of politeness.

I'm certainly not a 'technical' player, can't slap and have no inclination to learn, but I can hold a beat and genuinely play for the sake of the song rather than myself. My biggest current frustration is a drummer who doesn't use the kick drum, so I have nothing to lock to and end up providing the basic tempo for the song, which means that if I want to play a little off the beat for emphasis or even stop for a few bars then the drummer just follows or gets lost!

Funnily enough, I had to miss a rehearsal before last weekend's gig and a couple of bandmates told me that it was a bit of a shambles as a result, which I suppose it gratifying in one respect but frustrating in another.

I'd say the best way to progress is to play with musicians who are better and to play stuff that stretches your capability. Trouble is, this is also a recipe for worry. Still, better than always playing well within your comfort zone and then becoming bored.

Ovyerall, I'd say that personal doubts just go with the territory. Are there any artists, in any field, who are truly happy with their work?

[quote name='Townes1992' timestamp='1331389090' post='1572215']
Hey guys this is quite simple & straight-forward really, ever get the feeling you're a terrible musician haha?
For the 4 years i have been playing bass, i do get the feeling I am just not as good as i should be. Despite the practicing of new techniques etc, I have little confidence in myself when it comes how good i believe myself to be, whether its a lack of versatility or crispness. I was just wondering, does anybody else get this same feeling? It can be rather demoralising!!

Cheers
[/quote]
You can't be a bad bassist because you recognise your weaknesses. To me that makes you someone who knows they need to practice certain things. A bad bassist is one who thinks they know it all B)

In some ways the more that you know the more you realise you need to know or want to know. Its a catch 22. If however you treat playing bass as a long-term thing then you have time on your side.

Try to get a focus to your learning and enjoy.

thing I have been doubting my abilities on recently is remembering songs, not the actual notes and structure but the names. I look down at the set list and see the name of the song we are supposed to play next and draw a blank, "is that the one that starts on E?" "we have a song called ...?"

If I'm looking a bit blank the guitarist usually just strums the first chord subtly before we get going and I know what I'm doing. Really should work on that.

[quote name='garethfriend' timestamp='1331404160' post='1572531']
thing I have been doubting my abilities on recently is remembering songs, not the actual notes and structure but the names.
[/quote]

+1
I have that problem as well much to the amusement of the rest of the band.

I am no virtuoso and to be honest , I don't think I ever will be , but I do find that by learning lines that push my ability I do get a real sense of satisfaction. I can learn plenty of numbers and feel I am not improving but then a song will get suggested that will really test my ability and technique , when I get it down , I often feel that I have taken a big leap in my playing skills .

[quote name='garethfriend' timestamp='1331404160' post='1572531']
thing I have been doubting my abilities on recently is remembering songs, not the actual notes and structure but the names. I look down at the set list and see the name of the song we are supposed to play next and draw a blank, "is that the one that starts on E?" "we have a song called ...?"
[/quote]
I've experienced that as well . . . That horrible feeling that you can't remember the song (we're playing a lot of originals at the moment) but, oddly, as soon as things get going you can play it perfectly. It's an odd thing.

My way of avoiding this now is to write the starting note on my set list, or perhaps the chord sequence if it's a very new song. This means I always know what to play, so I relax, so I play better, so I relax more . . . Etc.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1331411118' post='1572637']
My way of avoiding this now is to write the starting note on my set list, or perhaps the chord sequence if it's a very new song. This means I always know what to play, so I relax, so I play better, so I relax more . . . Etc.
[/quote]

I've done this for years. On the set list next to each song I write the starting note [i]and [/i]which string the note is played on.
I've found that if you get the first and last notes right, no-one notices too much if you go tits-up in between! :lol:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Townes1992' timestamp='1331398706' post='1572414']
, but as of the last several months i've been going at it pretty hard everyday and sometimes the improvement feels limited. Evidently not enough practice i guess!
[/quote]
If you are not seeing any improvement,it's worth looking at what you are practising rather than how long.
Even if you are only playing an hour a day regularly, you should be seeing an improvement in your
playing. What do you practice?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1331402157' post='1572485']
My biggest current frustration is a drummer who doesn't use the kick drum, so I have nothing to lock to and end up providing the basic tempo for the song, which means that if I want to play a little off the beat for emphasis or even stop for a few bars then the drummer just follows or gets lost!
[/quote]
You have nothing to lock into? Don't just rely on the bass drum,listen to other parts of the kit...the hi hat or ride
cymbal is a good choice,as is the snare. I don't buy the whole 'lock with the bass drum' thing. Instead lock in
with the whole kit.