Why become a member? ×

Bad bassist??

Townes1992

Hey guys this is quite simple & straight-forward really, ever get the feeling you're a terrible musician haha?
For the 4 years i have been playing bass, i do get the feeling I am just not as good as i should be. Despite the practicing of new techniques etc, I have little confidence in myself when it comes how good i believe myself to be, whether its a lack of versatility or crispness. I was just wondering, does anybody else get this same feeling? It can be rather demoralising!!

Cheers

Erm, no but thats partly because I have been doing it for long enough and I just don't care. There really should be no yardstick to gauge yourself against. The only thing that matters is if you enjoy playing. If you enjoy it then thats all that matters. There will always be someone better than you and someone worse but music is not a competition, it should be about enjoyment and about the art of communication. You don't see people say person x is better because they communicate better than person y. Just enjoying it and over time you will become more confident in your abilities.

[quote name='Townes1992' timestamp='1331389090' post='1572215']
Hey guys this is quite simple & straight-forward really, ever get the feeling you're a terrible musician haha?
For the 4 years i have been playing bass, i do get the feeling I am just not as good as i should be. Despite the practicing of new techniques etc, I have little confidence in myself when it comes how good i believe myself to be, whether its a lack of versatility or crispness. I was just wondering, does anybody else get this same feeling? It can be rather demoralising!!

Cheers
[/quote]

Been through this. Just learned that I play the way I play. Probably a good percentage of the folks on this forum are technically "better" than me, but I'm happy playing like me. Sometimes I learn a new trick and I'm chuffed, but at the end of the day I'm me.

Get some lessons, learn more about music, not just bass, but actually music.....theory, harmony, rhythm etc. If you 'know' something is right, because you've been taught that it is, then that'll improve your self confidence, and your playing.

Edited by kjb

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1331389598' post='1572220']
Always... it's a personality failing. I'd enjoy myself more and probably play better if I wasn't so self critical but there you are!!

On the other hand a bit of humility is needed in order to progress.
[/quote]
It's the curse of the considered musician.

I deeply care about my musicality and ability and am forever beating myself about the face with the rolled-up newspaper of self loathing. However it drives me to be a better musician, and I'm actually pretty good at what I do these days.

So don't worry about it, it has its benefits.

I don't get the feeling that I'm a terrible musician,but I do get the feeling that I'm not playing as
well as I want to be. Maybe I've tried to play a line and scuffed it up,so I'll feel that I'll have to
spend a bit of time on my technique...or I might try something and hit a duff note,so I know that
in my next practice session I need to look at harmony.
It usually depends on how much and what I've been playing.If I've had a couple of days without
practice,for whatever reason, I generally won't be as happy with my playing as I am when I have
been practising.
I'm really hard on myself anyway and I always want to be playing better.That's why,despite being
busy,I try to take a couple of lessons a year to get new ideas to practice and improve.

[quote name='Townes1992' timestamp='1331390053' post='1572239']
Thanks for the advice thus far, yeah i think measuring yourself against people you know or artists you hear is a big problem of it, its difficult to escape i guess, what with some less considerate people judging styles and sounds and gear etc
[/quote]

I don't think that's a particularly bad thing. I often hear someone play something that I can't and want to
be able to do it,so it gives me the inspiration to sit down and practice until,usually,I can. Done right,judging
yourself against someone else can really help to improve your playing.

I the grand scheme of things I'm a fairly average bassist. I'm probably the musician with the least technical ability in my band (and that includes Mr Venom who's actually a pretty handy drummer). However I play well enough to be able to do most of the things I need to be able to play, and a bit of practice gets me to the point of competence with any new ideas that I come up with that my fingers can't actually do straight away. What I mostly do is play and not worry about it.

A hell of a lot of being a musician (or performer of any kind) is about confidence

When I was in my 20s, I played with a lot of good musicians where I thought that I was never quite as good as them, which vertainly held me back. After a while I kinda realised that I was always in demand with these guys so I couldn't be that bad! This changed my perception of my own playing (as well as other peoples peceptions of me), which undoubtedly gave me more confidence and made me a better player!

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1331390360' post='1572253']
I don't think that's a particularly bad thing. I often hear someone play something that I can't and want to
be able to do it,so it gives me the inspiration to sit down and practice until,usually,I can. Done right,judging
yourself against someone else can really help to improve your playing.
[/quote]
This used to happen with me a lot, but it's very rare now.

I'm fairly happy with my technique for the most part, what I love to work on is my compositional personality, and much of that can be done by thinking. I find that I can't play a lot of the ideas I come up with and that is having a very good effect on my developing personal style and approach. And as time goes on these two elements reinforce eachother. So I'm developing my skills and my compositional approach is feeding off itself. I actually feel I'm developing a style and approach that I can truthfully say is my own. I'm nowhere near as influenced by other players as I was a few years ago. That's something to be very grateful for.

It`s funny, but I was always the same, until I quit drinking, and suddenly saw my true worth on the bass. Up until then, I always thought I was ok, and could hold a tune, and always took the comments as being a solid bassist as somewhat barbed comments that I couldn`t play anything complicated.

But, once I quit, my perspective on many things changed, including my musical abilities. Now I still don`t know scales, and can`t slap very well, but I`m confident of what I can do, and what my style can bring to a band.

I`ve realised there`s no point in thinking I`m bad cos I can`t play like Mark King, as for the music I play, that style wouldn`t fit anyway, and the way I play is exactly right for the music I both like, and play. So although not flash, I`m good for the job I do.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1331391274' post='1572281']
Confession time: I can't slap.
[/quote]

But what do you do when you're in a music shop at the weekend and you want to impress the spotty teenage boys and the mummies and daddies out to buy a Daisy Rock guitar for their precious little Trixiebell?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1331393197' post='1572318']
It`s funny, but I was always the same, until I quit drinking, and suddenly saw my true worth on the bass. Up until then, I always thought I was ok, and could hold a tune, and always took the comments as being a solid bassist as somewhat barbed comments that I couldn`t play anything complicated.

But, once I quit, my perspective on many things changed, including my musical abilities. Now I still don`t know scales, and can`t slap very well, but I`m confident of what I can do, and what my style can bring to a band.

I`ve realised there`s no point in thinking I`m bad cos I can`t play like Mark King, as for the music I play, that style wouldn`t fit anyway, and the way I play is exactly right for the music I both like, and play. So although not flash, I`m good for the job I do.
[/quote]

That is a much better way of saying what I was trying to say.