Why become a member? ×

Brand pronunciations

Graham

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1331221440' post='1569735']
Exactly, and it is properly pronounced 'Bazjh Onde'.
[/quote]

I [i]think[/i] you'll find it's pronounced 'vwah sonnz ee-sue'.

Say cul-de-sac to Johnny Frenchman and he hears "arse of the scrotum". And gives you 'le lip fat de la belle France'.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331221800' post='1569745']
I always thought Hartke was 'hart kuh'.

As for 'Waar wick', I'll start paying attention to that prononciation as soon as they stop using 'Scotlandshire'...
[/quote]

Not far from where I live, theres Warton, Pronounced Waaarton by the locals, and Wilnecote, which is Wincutt. mah duck.

I can remember Dionne Warwick,( the Cilla Black impersonator :D :D ) telling someone on a chat show that it should be pronounced War wick.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331221800' post='1569745']
I always thought Hartke was 'hart kuh'.

[/quote]

I do hope you're right. Cos that's what I was saying all day at LBGS in reference to where Dood would be hanging out...

Edit:
Ooo er, I've said 'hanging out' and I think discreet's lurking about somewhere.... :o

Edited by seashell

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1331227765' post='1569914']
The one that gets me is Takamine, it is actually pronounced (by the employees themselves!) Tak a me nee.

Very odd.
[/quote]

Isn't Takamine a japanese make? I thought that's how you would pronounce the name if it was japanese

(I love my languages, me)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1331227067' post='1569893']
[b][size=6]Fen-der.[/size][/b]
[/quote]

You mean it's not a silent F?

Is that why people run when I say they can play with my ender?

Edited by Mylkinut

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1331227734' post='1569913']
I do hope you're right. Cos that's what I was saying all day at LBGS in reference to where Dood would be hanging out...
[/quote]

I'm always right, it's one of my many attractive qualities... :P

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1331227734' post='1569913']
Ooo er, I've said 'hanging out' and I think discreet's lurking about somewhere.... :o
[/quote]

I'm sure discreet wouldn't stoop so low as to take advantage of a verbal slip up like that...
... I'm probably wrong there though... :D

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1331227612' post='1569910']
Not far from where I live, theres Warton, Pronounced Waaarton by the locals, and Wilnecote, which is Wincutt. mah duck.

I can remember Dionne Warwick,( the Cilla Black impersonator :D :D ) telling someone on a chat show that it should be pronounced War wick.
[/quote]

Ah, I'm just up the road from you in Heather (pronounced Heether but I reckon it's speech impediment caused by interbreeding).

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331229462' post='1569955']
I'm always right, it's one of my many attractive qualities... :P

I'm sure discreet wouldn't stoop so low as to take advantage of a verbal slip up like that...
... I'm probably wrong there though... :D

[/quote]

He doesn't disappoint, does he? :lol:

Edited to remove wierd quoting mishap. It's the solar flares getting to me computer, I tell you!!

Edited by seashell

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1331229440' post='1569953']
When I was with the guys from Ibanez Japan a few weeks back they pronounced the I as eye-ban-ezz
[/quote]

Yep - that's how I pronounce it but I sometimes hear Ibb an ezz or i bahnezz or eye bahnezz.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1331229440' post='1569953']
When I was with the guys from Ibanez Japan a few weeks back they pronounced the I as eye-ban-ezz
[/quote]

I'm actually relieved to hear that as that's what I've called it for the past 30 years.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1331233560' post='1570086']
Aguilar will always be 'ag-will-arr' to me!
[/quote]

+1

& Lâkland is actually pronounced "Lacky Land". They come from the land of the Lackies (Google lacky if you don't believe me).

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1331227765' post='1569914']
The one that gets me is Takamine, it is actually pronounced (by the employees themselves!) Tak a me nee.

Very odd.
[/quote]

's how I've always pronounced it. 'Eye ban ezz' for Ibanez too.

As long as you and those around you know what you're on about, what's the diff? If the salesman says it differently, of course, then he's absolutely correct - right up to the moment I have the goods and sales receipt in my hand. ;)

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331229721' post='1569960']
Ah, I'm just up the road from you in Heather (pronounced Heether but I reckon it's speech impediment caused by interbreeding).
[/quote]

i'm in War wick shire, But your right about the inbreeds. The old folks even all look alike round here. Lot of french sounding villages around your way for some reason, plus Burgerland of course. So preumably a few throwbacks. :P :P

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1331235546' post='1570133']
i'm in War wick shire, But your right about the inbreeds. The old folks even all look alike round here. Lot of french sounding villages around your way for some reason, plus Burgerland of course. So preumably a few throwbacks. :P :P
[/quote]

It gets confusing round here because Leicestershire, Warwickshire and Staffordshire all join together just down the road at No Mans Heath - the pub (now an Indian Restaraunt) is on three levels to reflect the county boundaries it's built on.

My understanding is that as lot of French got given land round here after 1066 - I actually play with a 'Sir Malcom Summatorother' who's descended from the 1066 lot.
It's far too flouncy a title for a simpleton like me, so I just call him 'Malc'. :)