Why become a member? ×

Brand pronunciations

Graham

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1331322373' post='1571504']
As a massive geek, I wonder about lin-nux, vs. lie-nux.
However as we linux users never actually speak in real life, it's never come up. :)
[/quote]

What is this "real life" you speak of?

Edited by alyctes

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1331215369' post='1569545']
It's Lake-land - see [url="http://www.lakland.com/faq.htm"]http://www.lakland.com/faq.htm[/url]

And it's Agg-wee-larr isn't it? Emphasis on the wee.
[/quote]

should really be agg-gui-larr... gui as in guitar.

Same with Cristina Aguilera. I guarantee you she does not pronounce her own surname "agg-wee-lera" ;)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1331220518' post='1569705']
In spanish, it would be Ah-ghee-yah...

Like David Villa is pronounced Vee-yah because the 'la' is a 'yah' sound.
[/quote]

No.

double "l" is what makes it "yah"
single "l" is... "la"
And the final "r" is hard

:)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1331221164' post='1569729']
You get the 'yah' with double LL or if the 'L' is followed by an 'A', which is not the case in your examples (Barcelona, Valencia, albondigas, oloroso, etc)

It's [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ah-ghee-yah :P[/font][/color]
[/quote]

no, the double "ll" is always that "yah" sound. I'm afraid razze06 is correct, and I'm not just saying that because we live in the same town and all that :lol:
I actually have a Spanish passport ;)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1331229263' post='1569950']
OK then, how abuot Ibanez?

Someone said it should be Eb-ahn-eff (Spanish pronounciation), but I said they're Japanese, so pronounced Ibby.
[/quote]

No, no noooooo!!! where do you get that final "ff" from!!!???

See, had the Armada (I leave the "Invincible" part of the name out, as it still hurts a bit :lol:) been successful, you could all pronounce these names very easily ;)

Useless fact:
Ibanez is itself wrong.
It should have been "Ibañez" (alt-164 and alt-165, children)
I guess they were out of ~s when they first printed the name...

:P

PS: and it's not "eye - bah..." but "ib -..."

PS: I'm off to start a new thread about how to order beers correctly in Madrid. Don't make the mistake an English friend of mine made when all she wanted was a "caña" :P

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1331322373' post='1571504']
As a massive geek, I wonder about lin-nux, vs. lie-nux.
However as we linux users never actually speak in real life, it's never come up. :)
[/quote]

Neither! Somewhere between linn-ux and leen-ux, as in [url="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Sv-Linus_Torvalds2.ogg"]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Sv-Linus_Torvalds2.ogg[/url].

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1331377166' post='1572019']
No, no noooooo!!! where do you get that final "ff" from!!!???

See, had the Armada (I leave the "Invincible" part of the name out, as it still hurts a bit :lol:) been successful, you could all pronounce these names very easily ;)

Useless fact:
Ibanez is itself wrong.
It should have been "Ibañez" (alt-164 and alt-165, children)
I guess they were out of ~s when they first printed the name...

:P

PS: and it's not "eye - bah..." but "ib -..."

PS: I'm off to start a new thread about how to order beers correctly in Madrid. Don't make the mistake an English friend of mine made when all she wanted was a "caña" :P
[/quote]

A bloke down the pub said that Spanish speak spoke "z" as "th" as in "chorizo" (which apparently is pronounced "choreetho"), so it must be true! :lol:

The name "Ibanez" is Spanish & I've read in tha past it being pronounced Ee Bahn Yes, Ee Ban Eth & I Bun Ease.
However, as some might not know, Ibanez isn't a Spanish company (shock, horror)! Although the company started off life as a book shop owned by Hoshino Gakki & became an importer of Spanish stringed instruments from a luthier called Salvador Ibáñez. In the late 50s Hoshino Gakki then went on to make copies of guitars under the Ibanez banner & then in the 70s designed their own instruments (after a lawsuit from Gibson).

So are you saying that it should be pronounced "ihb - an - ess"?
& more importantly, has anyone told Steve Vai? He pronounces it Eye Bun Ez.

& is it Gibsun or Jibsun? :P

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1331376346' post='1572003']

Same with Cristina Aguilera. I guarantee you she does not pronounce her own surname "agg-wee-lera" ;)
[/quote]

I always thought it was Christina Gorilla. Ah well, you live and learn.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1331382708' post='1572117']
A bloke down the pub said that Spanish speak spoke "z" as "th" as in "chorizo" (which apparently is pronounced "choreetho"), so it must be true! :lol:

The name "Ibanez" is Spanish & I've read in tha past it being pronounced Ee Bahn Yes, Ee Ban Eth & I Bun Ease.
However, as some might not know, Ibanez isn't a Spanish company (shock, horror)! Although the company started off life as a book shop owned by Hoshino Gakki & became an importer of Spanish stringed instruments from a luthier called Salvador Ibáñez. In the late 50s Hoshino Gakki then went on to make copies of guitars under the Ibanez banner & then in the 70s designed their own instruments (after a lawsuit from Gibson).

[/quote]

Depends where in Spain it is pronounced.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1331376346' post='1572003']

[/quote]

I have learnt a little Spanish, albeit I speak my Spanish in Mexico or the Canaries more than in Spain. I thought the 'gui' would have been nearer a 'wee' than a 'gwee', so 'ah-wee-larr', with the very slightest of guttoral stops on the g, rather than emphasising it?

Then again if I was talking about it I was say Ag-wee-larr as it is common usage to anglicise words. For example we call Paris 'Pah-riss' not 'Pah-ree', Seville we call 'Seh-vill' not 'Sey-Bee-yeh'

Edited by Paul S

.....[/quote]
I think the point mcnach is making is that eff is different from eth. Coming from Croydon I never learnt this until I moved to Spain and people couldn't understand me. Mind you, I still don't know how Saaf Lunnoners manage to understand someone who can't distinguish the word "free" from the word "three". :rolleyes:

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1331397861' post='1572393']
I have learnt a little Spanish, albeit I speak my Spanish in Mexico or the Canaries more than in Spain. I thought the 'gui' would have been nearer a 'wee' than a 'gwee', so 'ah-wee-larr', with the very slightest of guttoral stops on the g, rather than emphasising it?....
[/quote]
But you're still overlooking the main fact that in "gui" the u is essentially silent (it is merely there to make the g hard), so just as you don't say "gwitar" or "gweetar", so you don't say "agweelar". If you pronounce the u there you'd be talking some sort of guirigay, I think.

If, on the other hand, the u has an umlaut on top, like in "güira", then it becomes a "gwee" sound.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1331377166' post='1572019']....PS: I'm off to start a new thread about how to order beers correctly in Madrid. Don't make the mistake an English friend of mine made when all she wanted was a "caña" :P
[/quote]
My favourite mistake like that was when a friend of mine saw some cake she fancied and ordered "gato chocolate".

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1331400627' post='1572453']

But you're still overlooking the main fact that in "gui" the u is essentially silent (it is merely there to make the g hard), so just as you don't say "gwitar" or "gweetar", so you don't say "agweelar". If you pronounce the u there you'd be talking some sort of guirigay, I think.

If, on the other hand, the u has an umlaut on top, like in "güira", then it becomes a "gwee" sound.
[/quote]

Yes, I was confused, you are quite right. I was getting muddled with other combinations like 'gua' - wah - and a common one in Mexican 'hua' which is also 'wah'.

[/quote]

"choreetho" indeed! :)
I hate it when I hear it pronounced "choreetso"
Once I was watching "Come dine with me" (my guilty pleasure ;)) and someone said he was preparing something with "choreeso" (which would be an alternative pronounciation, common in Southern Spain and South America) but the narrator made fun of him and corrected him "or even choreetso" No, no nooooooooo!!! :yarr:

Thank you for the history lesson about Ibanez. Very interesting, I never knew it started out as a book shop! :o

"Ee Bahn Yes": yes, in some locations in southern Spain and South America, for "Ibañez"

"Ee Bahn Yeth": "canonical" pronounciation in Spain, for "Ibañez"

"Ee Ban Eth": definitely not... do not disrespect the "ñ" :lol:
oh, wait, you mean someone already mis-spelled it as "Ibanez"? Ah well, yes, that would be the correct pronounciation for the incorrect spelling ;)

" I Bun Ease"... :blink: no, please, don't do that :P

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1331397861' post='1572393']
I have learnt a little Spanish, albeit I speak my Spanish in Mexico or the Canaries more than in Spain. I thought the 'gui' would have been nearer a 'wee' than a 'gwee', so 'ah-wee-larr', with the very slightest of guttoral stops on the g, rather than emphasising it?

Then again if I was talking about it I was say Ag-wee-larr as it is common usage to anglicise words. For example we call Paris 'Pah-riss' not 'Pah-ree', Seville we call 'Seh-vill' not 'Sey-Bee-yeh'
[/quote]

in Spanish anywhere "gui" will be closer to "ghee" than "gwee". Unless there is a couple of dots (much like the German umlaut) over the "u", then it would be "gwee".

Pronounciation of the "s", "c" ("ce" and "ci"), and "z" varies a bit regionally. Generally "z", "ce" and "ci" sounds like a "th", and "s" sounds like an "s". Except in some parts of Southern Spain and in the Canary Islands, where "z", "ce" and "ci" is more like an "s". In addition, in some areas in the South of Spain, they will pronounce the "s" as "th"... but NOT for every word :rolleyes:
So people are less likely to correct you on those, as you could always claim you speak with a regional accent ;)

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1331400627' post='1572453']
I think the point mcnach is making is that eff is different from eth. Coming from Croydon I never learnt this until I moved to Spain and people couldn't understand me. Mind you, I still don't know how Saaf Lunnoners manage to understand someone who can't distinguish the word "free" from the word "three". :rolleyes:

[/quote]

you got there before me, thanks! ;)

that confusion between "f" and "th" has always surprised me. At first I thought it was a kind of a lisp... until I realised a lot of people from the same area suffered from it. Then I just shrugged and ordered another pint. :)