Why become a member? ×

Ronnie Montrose dead

Bilbo

That Montrose album was great and supposedly the loudest piece of vinyl Warners had put out up until that point. I certainly remember it being loud back in my youth. I also remember them doing Bad Motorscooter and Space Station #5 on Whistle Test. Great band.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1330953978' post='1565214']
That Montrose album was great and supposedly the loudest piece of vinyl Warners had put out up until that point. I certainly remember it being loud back in my youth. I also remember them doing Bad Motorscooter and Space Station #5 on Whistle Test. Great band.
[/quote]

Brilliant album, laid the foundations for so many sound-a-likes - Rock Candy another awesome track. RIP.

I didn't know it until I was chasing links on YouTube but he was in the Edgar Winter band for a period - some recent stuff on there at a local 're-union' gig.

He was a great guitar player, I still have the first montrose album on cd. My mate went to see one of his bands called Gamma years ago, he was mightily impressed.
RIP Ronnie, another legend goes. :(
I was watching these this morning.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk52nGxF-jc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHmqWRY-OdA

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1330973576' post='1565674']
Yeah, I remember him - wasn't he the guy with the feedback stalk on his guitar?
[/quote]Yep that's him, I think that was a Theremin attached to his guitar.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1331031918' post='1566467']
Remember seeing them in Manchester Free Trades Hall in the 70's. It was a Warner Bros Triple Bill of Montrose, The Doobies and Little Feat ( who I'd gone to see).
It was around the time of Bad Motor Scooter, which they played.
[/quote]

There was an album release, I think called 'The Warner Bros. Music Show' with a big Bugs Bunny on the cover.

It was a compilation of a load of their bands at the time, with, I think, the tour dates printed on the sleeve. If I'm right, there was a big sticker saying something along the lines of 'don't pay more than 59p'!

I had a copy in the early 90's - I'm quite partial to some Feat - but really loved the Montrose track (BMS). Also had some really good other stuff too - Graham Central Station, Tower Of Power, etc. Quite amazing the level of greatness when you look at it today.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1331031918' post='1566467']
Remember seeing them in Manchester Free Trades Hall in the 70's. It was a Warner Bros Triple Bill of Montrose, The Doobies and Little Feat ( who I'd gone to see).
[/quote]Wow, now that's a line up, I would've loved to have seen that.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1331053901' post='1566943']
There was an album release, I think called 'The Warner Bros. Music Show' with a big Bugs Bunny on the cover.

It was a compilation of a load of their bands at the time, with, I think, the tour dates printed on the sleeve. If I'm right, there was a big sticker saying something along the lines of 'don't pay more than 59p'!
[/quote]My Dad bought that, which I quickly annexed :) It also featured Tower of Power and Graham Central Station. One of the best compilations ever.

Any Van Halen fans (like me) might be interested to know that the first Montrose album was a big influence and a bit of a blue print for the early VH albums (confirmed by Michael Anthony here: [url="http://madanthonycafe.com/burrnmag/2012/03/r-i-p-ronnie-montrose/"]http://madanthonycafe.com/burrnmag/2012/03/r-i-p-ronnie-montrose/[/url])

VH used to play Montrose covers round the clubs when they started out and when they signed to Warners they specifically wanted the same production team of Ted Templeman / Donn Landee to get the big, sparse, guitar driven live sound of the Montrose album!

VH just added the Beach Boy type harmonies and the rest is history…….

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1331058044' post='1567022']
Wow, now that's a line up, I would've loved to have seen that.

My Dad bought that, which I quickly annexed :) It also featured Tower of Power and Graham Central Station. One of the best compilations ever.
[/quote]

Yes, I was gutted that TOP did not play that night, but there again I'm going to see them on Friday..... 30 years later!!