Why become a member? ×

Hiscox Vs Gator Vs ?

Graham

I'm after a hardcase for my Lakland Duck Dunn or G&L L2000 depending on which I'm using - so simple traditional shapes - I've been looking at Hiscox's STD EBS or Gator's GPE-Bass-TSA is either particularly better than the other? Or is there not much between them? Or, is there another I've not considered?

Hiscox
[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/hiscox-std-ebs/3087"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/hiscox-std-ebs/3087[/url]

Gator
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_gpe_bass_tsa.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_gpe_bass_tsa.htm[/url]

Cheers,

Graham

I weigh 15 stones, approx, and have been known to stand in the middle of my Hiscox case with my beloved Fender Power Jazz Bass Special inside to demonstrate how tough they are. Really great bit of kit.

That said, I've never seen the other one in the flesh, so can make no comparisons.

I have quite a bit of experience with both (and various other cases), and I really think the Hiscox STD-EBS takes some beating. No-one else (gator included) seem to be able to make a case in that sort of price range that's as solid and robust, but still pretty lightweight. Hiscox are the only cases I use now. Sure you can get full on custom flightcases, etc, but I think they're the best standard hard case around.

It's worth keeping an eye out on eBay and on here for used ones. I think there was one listed on here recently.

hiscox for me too, have a few of them for various guitars and my beloved precision, i think there's a reason that so many high quality guitars come with a hiscox as standard (including my wonderful McIlroy acoustic). I've never seen a custom instrument come with a gator as standard.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm another one in the Hiscox camp. Dad's got one for his Martin and Hullah acoustic guitars, I saw the solidity and got one myself. Fits every bass I own perfectly (apart from the acoustic obviously), and you can jump on it. Most of the time I use my leather gig bag, but as far as chucking a bass into the back of the car with rig and such, Hiscox is definitely the way to go.

I'm a big fan of Hiscox. I live about 30 mins away from the factory - I phoned them up about a foot that had come away and explained I wasn't too far away. They said come down... I did, they rivetted on a new foot, gave it a quick hoover... and replaced part of the interior as they said they had changed the cushiony bits and the newer design would be better for my bass. The cost? Gratis. Can't say fairer than that. Top marks.

I would always go for Hiscox first. I have used them for 20 years now for my guitars and my basses.They don't make a case that's tailored for one of my basses, so I emailed them for a solution. They recommended a case thats slightly bigger and posted me a load of pads with instructions on how to fit them for my bass. Free of charge!!

My Gator is a pile of ****

When it first arrived, one of the clasps didnt close tight. It rattled around and would open causing the case to come ajar slightly. The two halves of the clasp had obviously been set too close. I tried to follow up with Gak, who I bought it from, they passed me to Gator USA, who at first seemed disbelieving, then wanted pictorial evidence, receipts, had I damaged it, dropped it, etc. They wanted it sent back to a Uk business address so they could check it- by this time I was so fed up I just bodged the clasp using solder. It's held ok so far. The rest of the clasps aren't perfect either- one needs forcing to close and ones a little slack and doesn't line up right.

The whole foam insert from the top half is now falling out, which will need regluing, and the strap that stops the case opening a whole 180degrees broke so now the case collapses back onto the floor when I open it.

Plus it's sooo bulky- it could easily have been half the depth. I believe they now make a slim version.

Seriously disappointed with it.

My band mates hiscock is awesome, btw.